Advice for fishing in November?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by salmonhawk, Sep 13, 2010.

1. salmonhawk

salmonhawk Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2901, SalmonHawk
    I got my wife a trip to Hawaii for her birthday and we plan to take the trip In November. Right now our plans are to stay on Oahu but my wife said we could change if fishing was better somewhere else. I have fished for marlin out of Kona before but if I'm not mistaken that is better during the summer. I've also read about the bonefishing in the flats off Oahu. Is that any good during November? Any advice or help that you guys could give would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    for bonefish you can try these guys Fly Fishing Hawaii - Trophy Hawaiian Bonefishing with Captain Terry Duffield (Coach Duff) - Bonefish Hawaii
    i've never heard of them a(since i'm not a flyfisher) also i heard that mike hennessy of the maggie joe fly fishes for bones in his offtime and has a rig set up for it so you could try to contact him and see if he does kaneohe trips. also there is a member on here from the seattle area that is a fly fishing fanatic his handle is "mingo" you can contact him about flyfishing here. november is generally slow around these parts for offshore fishing we sometimes get great winter marlin action (best i've seen was 5 in a day) and more often then not during that timeframe the north shore buoys are holding shibis. as stated before in the "how to charter a boat in hawaii thread" i would go with foxy lady out of haleiwa then magic then live bait sportfishing. if you need the location of some spots to find bonefish, let me know and i'll point you in the right direction.

3. waimalu

waimalu Newbie

Name:
    Waimalu
    Boat:
    33' Blackfin Flybridge
    Capt. Duff mentioned above is a tremendous guide. He is like a character out of central casting (colorful personality), but he is real and entertaining. If anyone is going to put you on a trophy bone it is him. He can provide all the tackle and his boat is ideal for poling the flats in Hawaii. He will also set you up and lead you out on the flats by foot. To see that guy double hauling and throwing a fly a 100 yards into a 15 knot headwind is to know you are with an expert.

4. tunaahelper

tunaahelper Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    TunaaHelper
    Boat:
    SeaHunt 225
    PM Sent.

5. Konaboy

Konaboy Newbie

Name:
    17' Trophy CC
    Boat:
    Moe'uhane
    Actually the marlin season (and fishing in general) is kinda off a month in Kona. See fishing report here.
    index.html

November is kind of a slow season so the resorts are offering good deals I've heard. Also the King Kam in downtown Kona that was just renovated is offering some pretty good deals on their website and is close to the harbor.

Enjoy the islands, have a wonderful vacation.

6. RudeDog2020

RudeDog2020 Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    yours
  7. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Marlin fishing can be slower in the winter months, however, we have got them in the 300-400 # range in nov/dec in Kona and Honolulu and every month a grander has been caught (over the past 20 or so years).

Good luck!