Advice for Fishing in Idaho, Early September

DPevin

Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
I will be headed to Idaho the for a week in the beginning of September around Labor Day. My folks moved to Council a year ago. Which is about 40 minutes south of McCall on hwy 95. The Weiser River sits between the county road their property is off of and the hwy. Also, Lost Valley Reservoir is about a 15-20 min drive away. I have only been up there in January when I helped my mom move up. So I have not spent any time on the water.

I fish the salt here in southern california, but aside from largemouth bass and some trout fishing I don't have much fresh water experience, esp with rivers.

We will have access to a boat, and they have a Razor side by side UTV. We aren't afraid to get off the beaten path a bit, or do some hiking to get to fishing.

Is anyone familiar with this area? I know nothing about what would be biting that time of year, or if we should spend time on rivers vs lakes. Or if both would be productive. Suggestions of the most effective fishing style would be awesome too. Would be specifically interested in fishing: salmon, trout and smallmouth. From what I understand, the Weiser has pretty good smallmouth fishing down river from their property in the Midvale/Indian Valley area?

My dad joined a local rod and gun club, so he intends to get some advice from the people he has met there, as well as some guys from work. Thought I would pick your brains here in case he drops the ball, or something and doesn't get anything useful. Just trying to plan accordingly for the trip, see if I need to pick up any new gear, or if I can get by with what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

keolani

Hooked up
Jul 10, 2003
Vista
bloodydecks.com
Name
Jefe
Boat
none
Have family that are long time residents of Council Aunt was deputy sheriff,volunteer EMT and she ran the county office there in Council. There are tons of creeks all around and the snake river is real close as is Hells canyon where Evil Kinevil tried to jump the snake in his rocket powered jet bike. I have fished Brownlee res which is on the snake river and up the 95 to Macall is Payette lake which is an old glacial lake and 350' deep. I will talk to my cousins up there and get some more spots. My Dad just moved from Bullhead back up to their place in Council with our 24' pontoon boat so I am going up there in Sept once they get settled in so will have some reports when I get back.
If you like to hunt there is a huge Elk population up there its on my bucket list but I have shot many mountain quail and pheasants up there.
If you ever get chance go there over the July 4 holiday They have the world famous porcupine race that are held on the 4th and its something to see and experience

Upvote 0

DPevin

Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
Wow. Thanks. I never expected to hear from someone who knows the exact area. It's pretty small town up there. Too cool.

My folks live off the fruitvale/glendale road that goes out of council and along the weiser / hwy 95. You walk down their driveway, cross the road, down the slope and you are at the river. I figure I will walk the river and try my luck there a bit, has to be some trout around I would think.

My dad said a co-worker mentioned Brownlee. My dad works up in McCall at Shore Lodge right on the lake.

Would really appreciate any info you could get from your cousins. My folks neighbor is just up the easement road and is an older man. Made my dad a deal to pay the registration and buy a new trolling motor and he could take his boat out whenever.

When are you going to be there in september? We will be there from 9/1 - 9/8. If our trips overlap we should link up.

I have heard of the Elk hunting in the area. My dad hunted when he was young in indiana but I didn't grow up doing it. Been looking to get into hunting for about a year now. Going to do the quial, pheasant, turkey thing this year hopefully. Deer/Elk is in the game plan for the future for sure! Esp, now that they live up there.

Upvote 0

keolani

Hooked up
Jul 10, 2003
Vista
bloodydecks.com
Name
Jefe
Boat
none
Yes I was trippin to when I read your folks were up in Council Its a whole different world up there I dont know anyone up there that locks their house or even cars I walked by one in front of the only grocery store with the keys still in the ignition Guess you dont worry losing your keys. It helps that there is only 800 people in the town so everyone knows each other. Will definitely hit my cousin up, I know that if you want salmon, they are in the salmon river which is north up the 95 on the way to Riggins ID and locally it will be bass, trout, crappie and catfish
I dont know dates yet that I will be up there cause my dad just moved back last week and was letting them get settled in but I will talk to my cousin Chester and maybe you guys can hookup and go fishing if our schedules dont coincide.

Upvote 0

bas13

May 22, 2009
Southern California
Name
bas13
Boat
Looking
If you make the drive you could check out the Owyhee River in Oregon. I just got back from visiting family in Nampa, Id. and made the trip one day. Well worth effort if you are a fly fisherman.

Reactions: DPevin
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I have some friends that are leaving this morning to go up to their cabin in that area this morning for a couple of weeks. They always order about 100 -3 inch rainbow trout swimbaits from Bill over at Barnacle Bills in Lemon grove before they go. They knock the crap out of bull trout and rainbows every year they go up there.

Reactions: DPevin
Upvote 0

DPevin

Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
If you make the drive you could check out the Owyhee River in Oregon. I just got back from visiting family in Nampa, Id. and made the trip one day. Well worth effort if you are a fly fisherman.

I have some friends that are leaving this morning to go up to their cabin in that area this morning for a couple of weeks. They always order about 100 -3 inch rainbow trout swimbaits from Bill over at Barnacle Bills in Lemon grove before they go. They knock the crap out of bull trout and rainbows every year they go up there.

Good to know. Thanks everyone. I will look into both those suggestions.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
My dad has lived in Boise for the last 25 years and his favorite place to fish is Brownlee Res. It would not be too far away for you. Just drive down to Cambridge and take the road over to the lake. There is a really nice campground with hookups, showers and a nice launch ramp. It is run by Idaho Power and they really take good care of the campground. Far nicer than anything you would ever find in California. When the smallmouth bass are biting it is really good fishing. We always use the small green rubber lizards and the black reapers. They also catch crappie and largemouth bass there but I'm usually there when the smallmouth bass are biting. Make sure you have all the required items necessary for your boat. They will do a safety inspection and if you don't have everything required including a whistle they won't let you launch.

Upvote 0

DPevin

Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
My dad has lived in Boise for the last 25 years and his favorite place to fish is Brownlee Res. It would not be too far away for you. Just drive down to Cambridge and take the road over to the lake. There is a really nice campground with hookups, showers and a nice launch ramp. It is run by Idaho Power and they really take good care of the campground. Far nicer than anything you would ever find in California. When the smallmouth bass are biting it is really good fishing. We always use the small green rubber lizards and the black reapers. They also catch crappie and largemouth bass there but I'm usually there when the smallmouth bass are biting. Make sure you have all the required items necessary for your boat. They will do a safety inspection and if you don't have everything required including a whistle they won't let you launch.
Awesome, thank you. I Brownlee has come up a whole bunch while looking into fishing in Idaho. I think it is a place I will have to go. If not this trip, on future visits for sure. Good tips on the requirements for the boat.

Upvote 0