Advice for Bank Fishing Los Barriles area Dec 7-Jan 17.

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
Oregon City, Oregon
Name
Steve Wecks
Boat
Wecstasy
My gf and I are headed down and staying at a rental house for 6 weeks. While she works remotely my days will be free and have access to a car. The trip timing and location were chosen by her and fishing wasn't a consideration, but I enjoy exploring, fishing from the bank and taking something back for dinner . I have been searching and most info seems oriented towards boat fishing and to the more productive times of year. I have only bank or boat fished in Mexico a couple of times, and never from the East Cape.

Seems like the wind during that time won't make it worth taking my 8wt fly rod so I will stick to spinning gear. Even there I am primarily an Oregon Coho salmon and steelhead guy so my main go to rods are 9', 8-12 lb test, medium/fast action rods and reels with 20 or 30 lb braid. That has suited me well for over 500 salmon/steelhead in the 5-35 lb range but it sounds like that may not be enough for bank fishing East Cape? Ideally should I get something longer and heavier? For me this is not so much about catching the big flashy fish as just being able to enjoy the morning and bring back something to eat.

For gear that sounds like it will work I have some topwater plugs, don't remember the names, that are like 5" torpedos, a few 3-5" rapalas, various spoons of different sizes and shapes, and a bunch of 3/8-1/2 oz hoochie jigs I use for twitching coho. I do have some other bass stuff, are there crankbaits that could be useful? Any other thoughts on what I should take? Is there gear for shore fishing available locally?

Also wondering about bait fishing from the bank. Can't really find any info on it. I do a lot of bait fishing from the jetty up here. Down there it sounds like you can't really harvest clams/shrimp as bait so I am guessing it probably isn't really a thing? Are there little baitfish you can get in the shallows and rig for bank fishing?

And finally, what should I be looking for driving up and down the coast when I want to go fishing this time of year from the bank? Am I ever gonna see baitfish being chased or is it all about identifying fishy structures/areas?

Anyhoo, any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen
Upvote 0

mulegemike

May 7, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
Mike
Boat
Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
For a 6 week trip I would definitely hire a panga a day or two a week on the forecasted calm days. Also it is fun to troll small rapalas from a kayak if you have access to one. The spinner from shore will work fine. Take some 1 1/2 ounce mega baits and spoons. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
Oregon City, Oregon
Name
Steve Wecks
Boat
Wecstasy
For a 6 week trip I would definitely hire a panga a day or two a week on the forecasted calm days. Also it is fun to troll small rapalas from a kayak if you have access to one. The spinner from shore will work fine. Take some 1 1/2 ounce mega baits and spoons. Have a great time!

Thanks. We were gonna drive down and take our kayaks but the border is still closed so I am stuck on the bank. I may spring for a couple days on a panga, especially if they get some good weather and reports and I can split the cost. Otherwise I will save my charter money for next summer in Alaska!

EDIT: Yeah, I guess it is not closed. Dang, because of others involved it is too late for us to change plans now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
are there crankbaits that could be useful?
Just about any rattlin' crankbait especially in low light conditions.

Just be sure to have a pair of pliers to hand since whatever grabs it is likely to have mouthful of fangs.

If the waves are up try putting one of your floating plugs on the back of incoming waves maybe because they can see it better.

And bait fished on a 3 way swivel is the oldest trick there is.

I've used Salmon/Steelhead gear a bunch from shore in Mexico-just farting around but it's all kinds of fun no need for heavy anything except maybe 40# wire for leaders.

Also it's not cool for gringos to harvest shellfish while diving might even be against the law.

Reactions: wexcellent
Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Pretty sure people are driving, closed border just a little tougher. Got friends live in Todos Santos, no problem. Changing restrictions on planes ? Even driving I believe 2 people= 8 poles. I really haven't paid to much attention, and don't get hassled but some do, guess down 5 thru Mexicali is the ticket, have fun

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Get good foot wear. The beaches are full of thorns, spines, bones, sharp shells, and other nasties. Wear tennis shoes or tougher. Everywhere holds fish. Structure holds more. At times roosters are so thick you can’t miss. I couldn’t get through #2-10 lbers to get a fatty.

I would absolutely hire a panga if I could. World class fishing on a shoestring budget. If you’re down there long enough you could wait until it is red hot and try to split a panga share or ride with a gringo. Try the launch ramp with artificial lures and try to be helpful and make friends.

If you can find and catch fish anywhere else, you can do it there. ATV rentals or driving east to any beach/reef gets you into pristine grounds.

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    WTF is Bank fishing are you talking about shore fishing off the rocks or beach. Rivers have banks oceans have beaches the sea has a shore. Oh and lakes have shores.
    Ok the ocean has banks: Gordo. Uncle Sam, Thetis,14 Mile, 9 mile, Cortez, Tanner, Hidden, Upper Hidden. There's so many more that I have fished.
    Been fishing Baja for 30+years never once did I hear someone call shore fishing, Bank fishing. So I looked it up. Bank fishing is fishing from anywhere where water touches the shore. Usually along a river or a Lake.
    Wow I learned something new today, after I've been bank fishing all these years in Baja. Wear gloves the fish down there have teeth and like anything that rattles. Hire a panga or rent a kayak if you can.

Upvote 0

J R Cordova

Dec 18, 2016
    Reno nv
    Name
    J r Cordova
    Boat
    None
    My guy in la Playita is awesome n trolling flies is productive. Habaneros restaurant in SJC is great n will cook your fresh catch and it’s about $15 a plate. Make sure to order the cucumber margaritas with dinner

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    Bring your 8 wt. I have been down over Christmas and March and caught plenty of fish with the fly rod during the windy season. Besides, it you are there for 6 weeks it is not going to be windy every day. Intermediate line and small Clousers and Sardina patterns. Also bring some Roberts Rangers, Kastmasters and topwater lures, around 1 Oz for the spinning rod. With braid and a 30 lb Fluorocarbon leader, you can cast a mile with salmon/steelhead gear.

My wife and I had a truly epic trip one Christmas. It was windy the whole time, but mornings are usually calm or mostly calm. Be on the beach when it is still dark. Find Beaches protected from the north wind so you have the wind at your back. We caught dozens of 20+ pound Jacks and even a nice dorado off the beach! Caught lots of small jacks, roosterfish and ladyfish on the fly gear every morning.
    Shore Dorado.jpg
    Hilda Jack.jpg

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    Krocodile Lures is a great proven lure. I would also use some swimbaits. Used to kill Jack Cravelle and Cabrilla down the road at Cabo Pulmo when it was open to fishing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Name
    Steve Wecks
    Boat
    Wecstasy
    Krocodile Lures is a great proven lure. I would also use some swimbaits. Used to kil Jack Cravelle and Cabrilla down the road at Cabo Pulmo when it was open to fishing.
    I have a decent assortment of swimbaits I have packed, in a range of sizes. I imagine they get torn up pretty good with those toothy fish - I hope to find out. Packed my one Krocodile, the couple of 1/2 oz kastmasters I had on hand, and threw in a bunch of pixie spoons because that is what I happen to have.

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen
    Upvote 0

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Name
    Steve Wecks
    Boat
    Wecstasy
    Bring your 8 wt. I have been down over Christmas and March and caught plenty of fish with the fly rod during the windy season. Besides, it you are there for 6 weeks it is not going to be windy every day. Intermediate line and small Clousers and Sardina patterns. Also bring some Roberts Rangers, Kastmasters and topwater lures, around 1 Oz for the spinning rod. With braid and a 30 lb Fluorocarbon leader, you can cast a mile with salmon/steelhead gear."

Thanks for your response. Just what I wanted to hear about fishing in Dec/Jan. I need to get busy tying flies this week. A couple of questions for you:
    1. Right now I have a 10 WF sink tip on one of my spools but no intermediate sink. What kind of depth are you shooting for or is the point just to keep it down under the chop?
    2. I bit the bullet and went out and bought a 12' surf rod, 10-20 lb line, 3/4-3 oz. Bought a daiwa black gold 3500 reel to go with it. I haven't rigged it up yet so I could return it and I'll need to build a longer travel rod tube for it than I currently have. Do you think that rod is a good idea? Are there times where I am gonna wanna be hucking some of my bigger stuff as far as I can? Or is my 9' 8-12 lb 1/4-3/4 oz gonna suffice? If I get lucky enough to hook a 20 lb jack I am guessing I will feel a bit underpowered.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    We caught the Jacks and the Dorado on essentially Musky travel rods. They were Cabelas 7' Heavy action Fish Eagle 4 piece travel rods. 20 pound fireline (which actually tested over 40 pounds true breaking strength) and 30 pound fluorocarbon leaders, only 3' long or so. The reels were nothing fancy, Okuma 3500, don't even remember the model. We were undergunned, but with the heavy line and leader you can put a lot of pressure on the fish. I could see using the surf rods up to 8', seems any longer would be overkill. Realistically, you are going to catch lots 1-3 pound fish that are fun on the light tackle and fly rod, so I like to have gear that makes it fun!

Also might want to throw in some wire leader. Sierra should be around, but usually can get by without wire, but might be a good idea to have some. My wife cleaned up one year with her favorite lure, the 1 Oz. Kastmaster in silver....

Sinking tip might be OK, not really trying to get it deep, just out of the surf. I can never get used to using a stripping basket, but it would be helpful. Another thing is, these fish like everything moving fast, as fast as you can strip with one hand. They are not like trout, salmon or even flats fish like bonefish and tarpon. No pausing, just strip fast. As soon as your fly or lure stops moving they lose interest.

More typical morning beach fish:
    Hilda Lady.jpg
    Roosty.jpg
    DSC00090.JPG

Upvote 0

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Name
    Steve Wecks
    Boat
    Wecstasy
    We caught the Jacks and the Dorado on essentially Musky travel rods. They were Cabelas 7' Heavy action Fish Eagle 4 piece travel rods. 20 pound fireline (which actually tested over 40 pounds true breaking strength) and 30 pound fluorocarbon leaders, only 3' long or so. The reels were nothing fancy, Okuma 3500, don't even remember the model. We were undergunned, but with the heavy line and leader you can put a lot of pressure on the fish. I could see using the surf rods up to 8', seems any longer would be overkill. Realistically, you are going to catch lots 1-3 pound fish that are fun on the light tackle and fly rod, so I like to have gear that makes it fun!

Also might want to throw in some wire leader. Sierra should be around, but usually can get by without wire, but might be a good idea to have some. My wife cleaned up one year with her favorite lure, the 1 Oz. Kastmaster in silver....

Sinking tip might be OK, not really trying to get it deep, just out of the surf. I can never get used to using a stripping basket, but it would be helpful. Another thing is, these fish like everything moving fast, as fast as you can strip with one hand. They are not like trout, salmon or even flats fish like bonefish and tarpon. No pausing, just strip fast. As soon as your fly or lure stops moving they lose interest.

Thanks again for your replies, they are the exact info I need. Sounds like I may just ditch the surf rod idea as better suited to the Pacific side. It looks like most of your fishing is just open beach, not even any rocks around. Are there rock structures or reefs out in the water that you are fishing over? Are you walking the beach looking for bait activity and feeding? Most of what I have read recommends going North. Any advice on where to fish? Also, pretty clueless on the saltwater flies for this type of fishing. I have found some sardine and clouser patterns I have most of the materials for but what sizes would you recommend, both hook and overall body length?

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    I have a decent assortment of swimbaits I have packed, in a range of sizes. I imagine they get torn up pretty good with those toothy fish - I hope to find out. Packed my one Krocodile, the couple of 1/2 oz kastmasters I had on hand, and threw in a bunch of pixie spoons because that is what I happen to have.
    I’d bring a lot of Kroc’s. That’s really pretty much what I used. I’m sure other shiney lures would work. Pixies seem like they would work. Yeah toothy critters tear up plastics. You can lose lures quickly. Hard to find lures in Baja.

Upvote 0

wexcellent

Jun 5, 2012
    Oregon City, Oregon
    Name
    Steve Wecks
    Boat
    Wecstasy
    I’d bring a lot of Kroc’s. That’s really pretty much what I used. I’m sure other shiney lures would work. Pixies seem like they would work. Yeah toothy critters tear up plastics. You can lose lures quickly. Hard to find lures in Baja.
    I may be able to get some more Kroc's in time - they do seem like the perfect bait fish imitation. I am assuming just straight silver. Any recommendations on size?

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    Can’t remember we the size but they were 3 to 4 inches long. Anything with Chrome. In those days the only had a couple colors. The ones we used were chrome and orange but I think any chrome would work. The 1 oz Castmaster seems like a good bet as well.

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    There will be plenty of rocks to fish from but usually I do best fishing from the beach next to rocks that jet out into deeper water. Cast a Kroc out along the edge and drag it back. I've caught some nice Cabrilla at or near High tide. Also caught Halibut this way.

Reactions: caballo del mar
    Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    Not going to tell you where we were fishing, but its no secret! Not north. Never concerned myself about structure, most of the beaches drop off into deep water, the fish move in off the shelves. Biggest concern is finding protection from the wind. Look at google earth and find beaches that provide protection from the wind. Explore around, you have plenty of time to find good spots! We were just goofing around, saw what looked like shadows... but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Turned out to be big schools of huge jacks. They were not busting bait, but would pounce on a lure. Fished them for 3 days, they would come through at some point each morning.

Upvote 0

JBRINCK

Nov 23, 2011
    San Luis Obispo Ca/US
    Name
    John Brinckerhoff
    Boat
    N/A
    Pretty sure people are driving, closed border just a little tougher. Got friends live in Todos Santos, no problem. Changing restrictions on planes ? Even driving I believe 2 people= 8 poles. I really haven't paid to much attention, and don't get hassled but some do, guess down 5 thru Mexicali is the ticket, have fun
    When you get down there check with Jensen Inshore Tackle in Cabo. Look them up on line before you go. He does what you are wanting to do.

Upvote 0