Almost A Member
May 13, 2009
Manhattan Beach, CA
Name
Edward
Boat
none
(Didn't know where to put this...)

Spring Break is coming and I'm going to take my little girl out to San Diego. I'm a little short on what kind of cool stuff there is to do. I'd be happy as a clam to just fish, but I'd like to find a beach where we can build a little fire, and there are options for her. We are staying in downtown...(I love walking into the W smelling like fish and handing the valet my keys with a kayak on top of my car).

I don't really want to do Sea World, we had the whole, take the fish out of the wild, but can't take the wild out of the fish discussion for days.

I thought about getting her a tour of MCRD if possible, and maybe getting on a tour of a Navy ship. But I feel bad, because this is mostly dad stuff.

We are going to do some fishing. Most likely just hit up Spanish Landing. If I thought she could hack it, and the seas were smooth, I'd so want to do a 1/2 day with her.

Any ideas?

Ed

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    MCRD has skiff rentals if you have military ID. They are at the boat house. Perfect for fishing SD bay.

The other skiff rentals are in Mission Bay. seaforth boat rentals. I believe you rent them from the Dana Landing Market.

Balboa Park has lots of stuff to do.

Upvote 0

bnmbh

May 16, 2008
    corona ca usa
    Name
    jerry
    Boat
    rowboat custom built with no money

Spring Break is coming and I'm going to take my little girl out to San Diego. I'm a little short on what kind of cool stuff there is to do. I'd be happy as a clam to just fish, but I'd like to find a beach where we can build a little fire, and there are options for her. We are staying in downtown...(I love walking into the W smelling like fish and handing the valet my keys with a kayak on top of my car).

I don't really want to do Sea World, we had the whole, take the fish out of the wild, but can't take the wild out of the fish discussion for days.

I thought about getting her a tour of MCRD if possible, and maybe getting on a tour of a Navy ship. But I feel bad, because this is mostly dad stuff.

We are going to do some fishing. Most likely just hit up Spanish Landing. If I thought she could hack it, and the seas were smooth, I'd so want to do a 1/2 day with her.

Any ideas?

Ed
    Ed it's great to see a father bonding with his kid. Not to mention showing them the great sport of fishing. I hope your daughter has a blast,you as well. Post some pics of your trip...

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    My Kids love the San diego Zoo..very tropical and fun for kids..and the butterflies just 'bloomed" there..I hate Seaworld, I would never go there ever again, once was 1 time too many..

Upvote 0

FLAASH

Mar 14, 2010
    KLANTEE
    Name
    JESSE
    Boat
    YARD SALE
    Theirs is a guide service that will take you around town and tell you all about the different sights from old town to seaport village, downtown, over the coronado bridge to coronado them over to the zoo and back to old town, plus you can get off at any of the stops, they also do a bay cruise on the land/water rig. kinda interesting. I think the name is trolleys tours ??

Upvote 0

iconpyro

Jul 13, 2007
    City of Angels
    Name
    Iconpyro
    Boat
    I wish I had one...I wouldn't be working then.
    You could go check out the USS Midway too.

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
    Glendale Ca
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper

Any ideas?

Ed

As suggested tons of stuff to do. Lego Land, SD zoo, wild animal park, Sea world, the worst of them all Seal watching trips lol. Why not do a drive to riverside first on Saturday for the airshow its free. I'll post up a thread on it in a few mins.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    My Kids love the San diego Zoo..very tropical and fun for kids..and the butterflies just 'bloomed" there..I hate Seaworld, I would never go there ever again, once was 1 time too many..

I hate Seaworld too, but most 5 year olds kinda dig it.

Upvote 0

sandiegosteve

Fish nerd
    Feb 5, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Lil' Defiance Pilothouse
    My 4 and 5.5 year olds love all of the parks littered around Mission bay. There is one at the end of Mission where you can watch the boats go in and out. I've caught spotties from shore in other places while they play (read other parks by sandy beaches like the one at the end of Fanuel St.).

My girls love the Children's museum downtown and the Fleet Science center in Balboa park. The zoo is their latest craze (we get passes), but they like Sea World too. They can name all of the local fish when they swim by :-)

They can only do about 3 hours in the boat, so a skiff rental might be fun for a little while.

Upvote 0

wheresmypliers

wise ass
    May 15, 2005
    escondido
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    fiesta island has fire rings and nice areas to put the yak in. the zoo and wild animal park have a 2 day package for $70/adult $50/kids. gives you day passes for both parks. the new elephant inclosure and polar bear plunge are both open and really cool

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
    HB
    Name
    Mika Tan
    Boat
    "MoorZilla"
    Can't go wrong with the Zoo.
    Maybe take her on the open air bus ride that goes in the water.
    Go for a quick ride on the train somewhere local and back....my kids digged the train rides.

Upvote 0