fijianfish_king

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 1, 2011
la puente
Name
kris
Boat
Pursuit Cc
So I have been wanting to get in to kayak fishing need to know where to start what kayak to buy and what to stay away from mostly going to be doing bay type fishing

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117

This is the website/partners for OEX Kayaks. Great group of guys that can rig you up with whatever you need.

Check out headwaters kayak on youtube. They go over several kayaks under $1,000.

What is your budget?

Under $1,000
Crescent Lite Tackle, Bonafide RS117, Malibu Mini X, Jackson Kayak Bite, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or Tarpon 140.

$1,000-$2,000
Vibe Sheerwater 125 ( you can add pedal drive for $500, just like Hobie kayak), Bonafide SS107, Bonafide SS127, Old Town Predator, Wilderness Systems Radar, Perception Pescador Pilot 12 PDL (Pedal Drive). Brookly Kayaks has a 13 ft pedal drive for under $1,400. They have ads posted on craigslist for i think $1,300 local pick up.

$2,000-$3,000
Hobie Compass, Hobie Outback, Old Town PDL, Jackson Kayak FD models, Native Propel Max.

$3,000-$4,000
Jackson Kayak Big Rig FD, Hobie Pro Angler 12 and 14.

Do you want pedal, paddle, or add a motor?
Bixpy motors are around a $1,000 with the battery. Runs 10 hours on low. 75 minutes on high. Capable of pushing kayaks up to 7 mph on high. Can run 5 hours on a low medium setting pushing the yak about 2-2.5 mph.

Transportation-Are you car topping, trailer, back of the truck bed with an extender, or a bed rack in a truck?

Are you healthy and strong to carry a kayak over 100 lbs?

I've owned several kayaks from hobie, ocean kayak, malibu kayaks and cobra kayaks. All were good kayaks but had different strengths and weaknesses. For serious offshore fishing we take the boat. But the yaks are great for harbors and kelp beds along the shore line.

Malibu Mini X
Light, cheap, stable for bays, easy to paddle, easy to car top or fit in a truck bed. Does pretty well in the surf. Easy to paddle from dana point to the kelp beds (approximate 2-3 mile paddle) and or newport to the kelp beds.

Hobie Outback
Expensive. Heavy. Pretty stable. Very easy to pedal. Pedal kayaks are great for newbies. Newbies don't paddle as well as an experienced kayaker and they don't really know how to maneuver their kayaks while fishing and holding a paddle. Once your fishing in the cover of heavy kelp your drives and rudders will be up and you'll be paddling anyways.

The Vibe Sheerwater 125 looks to be pretty similar to the Hobie Outback but at a fraction of the price. Nice thing about this yak is that you can upgrade to the pedal drive later since it's sold separately. $1,299 for the yak and $499 for the pedal drive.

Hobie Pro Anglers.
Expensive. Heavy. Very stable. Easy to pedal. More kayak than most people ever need. I think the outback is better since it's lighter, faster and maneuver's better than the pro angler.

I actually don't mind paddling and have no problem paddling 5-8 miles in a day. I might get to the kelp beds 15 minutes after my buddies in their hobies but they suck at fishing so I'll know I'll catch some fish after I arrive. I've got a bonafide rs117 on order. I mainly fish newport kelp, dana point kelp and the harbors. Wanted something easier to transport than my hobie and stable enough to take my kids on with me while playing around in the harbor.

Depending on your budget you have a ton of options out there. Test paddle what you can.

fijianfish_king

Oct 1, 2011
la puente
Name
kris
Boat
Pursuit Cc

This is the website/partners for OEX Kayaks. Great group of guys that can rig you up with whatever you need.

Check out headwaters kayak on youtube. They go over several kayaks under $1,000.

What is your budget?

Under $1,000
Crescent Lite Tackle, Bonafide RS117, Malibu Mini X, Jackson Kayak Bite, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or Tarpon 140.

$1,000-$2,000
Vibe Sheerwater 125 ( you can add pedal drive for $500, just like Hobie kayak), Bonafide SS107, Bonafide SS127, Old Town Predator, Wilderness Systems Radar, Perception Pescador Pilot 12 PDL (Pedal Drive). Brookly Kayaks has a 13 ft pedal drive for under $1,400. They have ads posted on craigslist for i think $1,300 local pick up.

$2,000-$3,000
Hobie Compass, Hobie Outback, Old Town PDL, Jackson Kayak FD models, Native Propel Max.

$3,000-$4,000
Jackson Kayak Big Rig FD, Hobie Pro Angler 12 and 14.

Do you want pedal, paddle, or add a motor?
Bixpy motors are around a $1,000 with the battery. Runs 10 hours on low. 75 minutes on high. Capable of pushing kayaks up to 7 mph on high. Can run 5 hours on a low medium setting pushing the yak about 2-2.5 mph.

Transportation-Are you car topping, trailer, back of the truck bed with an extender, or a bed rack in a truck?

Are you healthy and strong to carry a kayak over 100 lbs?

I've owned several kayaks from hobie, ocean kayak, malibu kayaks and cobra kayaks. All were good kayaks but had different strengths and weaknesses. For serious offshore fishing we take the boat. But the yaks are great for harbors and kelp beds along the shore line.

Malibu Mini X
Light, cheap, stable for bays, easy to paddle, easy to car top or fit in a truck bed. Does pretty well in the surf. Easy to paddle from dana point to the kelp beds (approximate 2-3 mile paddle) and or newport to the kelp beds.

Hobie Outback
Expensive. Heavy. Pretty stable. Very easy to pedal. Pedal kayaks are great for newbies. Newbies don't paddle as well as an experienced kayaker and they don't really know how to maneuver their kayaks while fishing and holding a paddle. Once your fishing in the cover of heavy kelp your drives and rudders will be up and you'll be paddling anyways.

The Vibe Sheerwater 125 looks to be pretty similar to the Hobie Outback but at a fraction of the price. Nice thing about this yak is that you can upgrade to the pedal drive later since it's sold separately. $1,299 for the yak and $499 for the pedal drive.

Hobie Pro Anglers.
Expensive. Heavy. Very stable. Easy to pedal. More kayak than most people ever need. I think the outback is better since it's lighter, faster and maneuver's better than the pro angler.

I actually don't mind paddling and have no problem paddling 5-8 miles in a day. I might get to the kelp beds 15 minutes after my buddies in their hobies but they suck at fishing so I'll know I'll catch some fish after I arrive. I've got a bonafide rs117 on order. I mainly fish newport kelp, dana point kelp and the harbors. Wanted something easier to transport than my hobie and stable enough to take my kids on with me while playing around in the harbor.

Depending on your budget you have a ton of options out there. Test paddle what you can.
Thanks for the information I’m trying to keep my Budget Under 1k I don’t really care if it’s new or used all I want is something to fish around the harbor with I have a boat to go out to the kelp and fish the deeper waters with

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Rent a couple, then look at the used market.

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Also interested in this, which do most of you prefer, paddle or pedal? Seems a pedal yak would the most efficient between covering water and hands free?

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
Right now it might be hard to find something used b/c of summer. If you're patient wait til after summer or black friday sales.

You can get a paddle and PFD on amazon for around $100.

Malibu Mini x fish and dive (350 lb capacity) - $700
Malibut Stealth 9 (350 lb capacity) - $829
Tarpon 105 - $850 Elevated frame seat.
Jackson Kayak Bite Angler (400 lb capacity) - $899. Elevated frame seat.
Old Town Sportsman 106 - $899 and holds 440 lbs. Elevated Frame seating.
Crescent Kayak Lite Tackle - $899. Elevated frame seat. Open deck space. 450 lb capacity.
Brooklyn Kayak RA220 (11.5 foot. capacity 550 lbs. Elevated Seat and comes with paddle) $897

If you're a big guy you might want to get a kayak with a capacity greater than 400 lbs. The smaller kayaks will hold 300-350 lbs but you'll sit lower in the water if you're heavy.

The elevated frame seats are much more comfortable than the older flat bottom seats that lay directly on the kayak floor.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
For starting out I would suggest something wide and long (more stable). IMO it doesn’t need to be a name brand when your starting out. Bass pro shop has some that have the lawn chair seats. If I were to start over I’d start with one of those. The sit on top style hurt my back after being in it for 6+ hours, and it seems like I’m always sitting in water.
Newport Harbor is a great place to start. Launch from the coast guard station. That harbor has a lot of areas that produce. Fish the tide swing, get a milk crate and put some PVC for rod holders. You’ll have a blast!