Advantage of Fish Processing?

*FishyGirl*

Oct 19, 2012
San Diego
Name
FishyGirl
Boat
n/a
Interesting, so the only way to get fish to FishPros is to take it there in person?
No - we meet the long range boats when they return. If the daily/1.5 day boats return in the morning as well, we will meet them if we have reservations.

You are always welcome to bring fish to our shop between 8 am and 1pm, though, for drop offs - but best to confirm with the office until the season is in full steam ahead in late June to confirm that we are still there.

The OP was discussing the dockside of the Shogun, which is a service offered with the Shogun, Royal Star and Royal Polaris at the arrangements of those vessels. In addition, we do dockside at the request of charter masters and the previous arrangement of other vessels.

But we are always at Fishermans Landing, Point Loma Sportfishing and H&M to meet the long range boats that return in the mornings. In addition, we are now going to Seaforth to meet the return of the Polaris Supreme over there.

If you do have any questions regarding reservations for certain boats, you can check with our office at 619-255-3128.

Upvote 0

SalmonidDave

9' or higher only.15' two handed is way fun!
  • May 12, 2019
    SFV
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    N/A
    Im still eating Tuna I had processed September-December of 2019. Still fantastic even raw.

No question in my mind. Have it processed.

Upvote 0

Deekay

Apr 18, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Boatless Boaters
    Ended up going with Mario's because am poor :) . Fish left the dock at 7:30, they called me at 8am to come pick it up. Yield was 40% on a 50lb tuna. Will experiment with other companies in the future but as far as I can tell the packing quality and service was top notch!

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Learned something fantastic last night, Five Star has after hours self- service drop off! I did not know this but it's totally awesome :-) Came in around 8PM last night after fishing Liberty all day, no processors at the dock. Really didn't want to f around with fish after the long day, disappointed. Then I overhear one of the crew members explaining to other anglers that you can drop fish at 5S, just need the gate lock combo which Fisherman's office had. You go there, unlock the gate and there is a tote inside filled with ice slurry. You drop in your fish, fill out a tag and done! Next morning they call you to come and get your fish :D Sooo friggin' cool 8-)

Reactions: Brad I
    Upvote 0

Deekay

Apr 18, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Boatless Boaters
    Learned something fantastic last night, Five Star has after hours self- service drop off! I did not know this but it's totally awesome :-) Came in around 8PM last night after fishing Liberty all day, no processors at the dock. Really didn't want to f around with fish after the long day, disappointed. Then I overhear one of the crew members explaining to other anglers that you can drop fish at 5S, just need the gate lock combo which Fisherman's office had. You go there, unlock the gate and there is a tote inside filled with ice slurry. You drop in your fish, fill out a tag and done! Next morning they call you to come and get your fish :D Sooo friggin' cool 8-)
    That's pretty dam good for you locals. Might have to start reserving an airbnb for my full days Lol

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Ended up going with Mario's because am poor :) . Fish left the dock at 7:30, they called me at 8am to come pick it up. Yield was 40% on a 50lb tuna. Will experiment with other companies in the future but as far as I can tell the packing quality and service was top notch!
    You sure it was your fish you got back that quick?? They have one hell of a fish market with fresh fish.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Noob 1st time tuna w/kid just off the Excel Monday. Had booked Fisherman's on the fingers crossed idea we would catch some. We did. Decided to have it frozen both from safety standpoint and handling. Fishermans-P was very responsive. I changed from later PU to ship and that was no issue.

What I was impressed with is how fast it all comes together on the dock. We got our gear carted to the landing and the fish followed instantly. Guys were moving fish from the carts to the cones. By the time I checked in with FP most of the fish were up at the dock. By the time I walked down to get a coffee and back the fish had been weights and binned into slush. My kid watching the thing was pretty amazed.

So really we did not have to touch our fish, pull them a couple feet to a cone perhaps, that was all. Once you let FP grab your fish from cone - boom, off they go to the scale and slush. Pretty efficient from a "not knowing what to expect".

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    So going on a two day out of fishermans.(mustang) I dont mind processing my own fish. But hopefully catch a big one and have never processed any over 30lbs. Is it that much more difficult? Also because I live out of the area any idea on a shipping cost? Do I need to call ahead to have someone meet me at the landing?

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    I’m curious what the difference between regular bluefin processing and “sushi cut”. I see it mentioned but not exactly sure what the difference is in terms of the final package.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    I posted our yields and costs in a thread I started for that purpose. For this post my review of Fisherman's Processing is: Positive.

They communicated within a day of reservation, and each small change - from pick up to freeze and pick-up, then to ship.

I know all the processors are slammed - I saw it first hand. I was also not in a great hurry to get the fish as I needed a new chest freezer - LOL. What was very good is they responded to every call - with a call back or a text message when texted within a day - or in some cases like for AWBL - minutes.

They performed fine. The product I received was well packaged and actually a bit more net than I expected. Pretty routine order and they did what I expected and were plenty flexible for my changes.

So I would use them again and have no negative feedback to offer.

Upvote 0