Advance reservations required for fish processing

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I made my reservation in April. But after reading this thread, just emailed 5 Star this morning to confirm everything. Litzy (cool name!) just emailed back to say my buddy and I are both in their reservations and good to go.

Having tried to call at times in the past few years with little success, I'll second the "try email" comment above.

Reactions: Soda Pop
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Sidebar - those guys and gals are obviously busting ass and probably will be through Oct and Nov at least, and have always done a great job for me - anybody have any thoughts on what a cool "tip" would be when picking up fish? Just straight up cash?

Sailing La Reina
Sailing La Reina
I always give the guy who loads my fish & ice into my cooler a $20.00.
Upvote 0
R
Rex1978
@ Five Star
I always give the guys that load the ice/fish some cash & also the guys/gals in the back that are cutting & packing the fish.
Upvote 0
nicodemus
nicodemus
Cash it is!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
Mar 7, 2017
Back in SoCal
Name
Crusty
Boat
minidrifter
I called both 5Star and Fisherman's today to confirm my reservations. They both answered the phone promptly and my 3 separate reservations were there and confirmed.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Just made a reservation for early November. Email acknowledgment was instant!

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Sidebar - those guys and gals are obviously busting ass and probably will be through Oct and Nov at least, and have always done a great job for me - anybody have any thoughts on what a cool "tip" would be when picking up fish? Just straight up cash?
    I take them a case of redbulls or monsters and their always super happy.

Upvote 0

Dolt Sniper

Sep 17, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Jesus
    Boat
    None
    We had reservations with 5 Star the second week of September and were shocked/screwed when we pulled up to a handwritten carboard sign posted on the big doors saying something along the lines of "sorry we're maxed out". Ouch

Thankfully it was a fairly cool evening and we didn't have too much, some solid yellowtail and school size bluefin, so we bought some ice and just processed it ourselves the next morning. Moral of the story... Not sure there is one. Pray?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    When I emailed earlier today, I took the opportunity to specify how the two of us want to get our processed fish - frozen and shipping to AK for Shaun, one box fresh same day for me, mostly bellies, the rest frozen and shipped. I just noticed two emails from 5 Star in my junk box confirming each of our separate requests, "same day" noted on mine, and not on Shaun's. Should help with the on-site paperwork when we come in!

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    I always give the guys loading my fish $20.00 to $40 bucks.

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I was down there today at five start picking up my load. They are absolutely slammed definitely make a reservation double check and be patient. I never take same-day I like it frozen solid it stacks so much better in my freezers

nicodemus
    nicodemus
    Me too, Tom. Mostly. Can't resist taking home a box of fresh bellies for the smoker, too, though.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Green Ogre

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2009
    Orygun
    Name
    Shrek
    Boat
    Willie Predator, Learned Dory
    Here’s a question. 5 Star is saying 3-4 weeks until they will get your fish done. What do they do with it in the meantime?

Freeze, process, freeze?

Do they even offer same day?

I’m driving from out of state for a 4 day and Fishermans isn’t available that day

Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I just got back from a 7 day on Saturday (18th). I heard of no one being turned down from processing....but several folks were unable to get 'same day' due to labor shortages (cutters) and may have chosen between processors by delivery time.

To get a record of your reply confirmation of your reservation (to show when you return with fish) -- something more than a tele memory -- either skip the phone call or confirm the phone call by TEXT MESSAGES or send a CONFIRMING EMAIL......be sure to Name your boat and Return date/time. I used text messages with Fishermans Processing and all was well. I did not need 'same day service.'

NOTE: It was hectic at the landing and confusion and disappointment were very possible.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I saw an ad on Facebook this evening-----"5 Star is hiring to all positions". I see the problem. They are having a problem keeping employees. When I was at the Pt. Loma McDonald's in June of this year, they had a Large sign--Now Hiring $15 an hour to start. I guess, for someone to cut up smelly fish all day, the processors are having to pay a lot more than that, yet they ate trying to hold their prices down. It just doesn't happen. So, people are just going from job to job for the highest pay at that time.

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    We got off a private charter on the Tomahawk sunday and we didnt know we had to make a reservation for the boat.. none of the processors would take any more fish. All the guys were stuck taking home 100+ and 200+ lb fish in the bed of their truck… luckily our little group of 5 gave a nice gratuity upfront to one of the processors and they accepted… We now know we need reservations for every trip. Couldnt imagine having to lug all the fish home and vacuum it ourselves

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I saw an ad on Facebook this evening-----"5 Star is hiring to all positions". I see the problem. They are having a problem keeping employees. When I was at the Pt. Loma McDonald's in June of this year, they had a Large sign--Now Hiring $15 an hour to start. I guess, for someone to cut up smelly fish all day, the processors are having to pay a lot more than that, yet they ate trying to hold their prices down. It just doesn't happen. So, people are just going from job to job for the highest pay at that time.
    The labor situation in Ca right now is terrible for all aspects of business. People don’t want or need to work with the current stimulus package and the fact they can’t be evicted for not paying rent or mortgage payments. Wait till folks see the inflation in food prices at the grocery stores this is causing and will continue to cause.

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    Talked with a very nice lady named Lexi this morning and confirmed I'm on the reservation list and she was nice enough to follow through with an email. I may be more paranoid than necessary, but I've been working 1100 miles from home in Yreka in the fire dispatch center since the end of July, and I'm trying to coordinate 2 construction projects at home from here, and I just want to make sure there's no loose ends at the end of the road. I'm also picking up the fish the next day when they open so I can start my lovely 2 day drive home so I had to make sure that was lined up. All appears to be well.

Upvote 0

Green Ogre

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2009
    Orygun
    Name
    Shrek
    Boat
    Willie Predator, Learned Dory
    I set up an account at 5-star last night and asked for same day service.

The reply email was indeed in my spam folder.

I sent a reply to ask to add my buddy to the reservation. Our fish can be mixed together and paid with one CC. Shouldnt be a problem.

I have a November 7 day and a December 7 day scheduled. So I hope this goes well.

I am driving from OR to SD for this trip with a tote in my truck. so hauling it back would be ideal.

OBTW: Their email is no where to be found on their website. If you listen to the recording she says it at the end.

Reactions: Mean Gene
    Upvote 0

carnage007

May 9, 2004
    Encino
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    to poor
    I had set up a reservation for our charter on the Poseidon that returned wed 9/22. THey were there to take our fish in the morning (including Rockfish) but would not take any other fish. I had asked for same day but the best they could do was Sat- Fresh and Sun-Frozen. When we left on Sunday night there were quite a few quys stuck with big fish

Upvote 0