Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I would highly recommend getting a reservation at one of the fish processing ASAP. with all the day boats coming in with bluefin and yellowtail you might make your reservations online or by calling the processing company of your choice. Last month a few on our trip didn’t have reservations and they got turned away. Even if it’s not same day pickup they might turn you away. Now I know some of you might chime in about nobody wanting to work but I am posting this to give everyone a heads up so you don’t get stressed out and no where to go. I wish everyone great trips in the near future. Make your reservations early.

90DA0C4B-17B1-49DF-B944-2C17F055F7D0.jpeg

C
cozenone
Solid info, even after making reservations well in advance , I returned and was told I could not pick up same day as promised, couldn’t stay an extra day in SD, so had to option for air freight, just more $$$.. not going to mention which outfit, I think their all in the same position though..
Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Last 6 pack we used a fish delivery service. Captain Jake made the "reservations" at Five Star for us and called the third party pick up man. Everything worked out, it was $160 for the pick up fee, which was around 1,000 pounds of gilled and gutted. Believe Five Star reservations can be made on their web site.

You will be lucky to get anyone to answer the phone, I wasn't lucky. Five Star did respond to email, quickly, during business hours to answer our questions. Always liked them, they are doing everything they can to keep up.

Reactions: SCHeadhunter

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I made my reservations with Five Star for my 11/28 10 day a while back. Do it online, no reason to wait

Reactions: Soda Pop
    K
    King Halibut
    I’ve never had to make reservations for processing on long range trips!
    I’m on a 10 day the end of October on the Excel, guess I’ll have to check with them.
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Would you do that for a 2.5 day trip too?
    that's what this sounds like it is directed at, for years the processers were relying on a few of the longer range boats for the bulk of their work, now because of the bluefin there are a lot of "day" boats in the mix now and more fish then the crews can cut themselves. People with more fish then they used to take home in little bags of fillets, now need the packaging we do.

Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Last 6 pack we used a fish delivery service. Captain Jake made the "reservations" at Five Star for us and called the third party pick up man. Everything worked out, it was $160 for the pick up fee, which was around 1,000 pounds of gilled and gutted. Believe Five Star reservations can be made on their web site.

You will be lucky to get anyone to answer the phone, I wasn't lucky. Five Star did respond to email, quickly, during business hours to answer our questions. Always liked them, they are doing everything they can to keep up.
    When Rosie was the Office Mgr for 5 Star, She would call you back the same day even on her days off!!!! I miss Rosie, She was a great person, It's hard to find people like her!

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    I made my reservations with Five Star for my 11/28 10 day a while back. Do it online, no reason to wait
    You should call them and make sure it went through. I did it online, then called three weeks later to make sure, and it had not registered. I will call again before the trip leaves just to make sure. Do NOT trust the online thing.

Upvote 0

David Brewer

Jan 10, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Brewer
    Boat
    none
    You should call them and make sure it went through. I did it online, then called three weeks later to make sure, and it had not registered. I will call again before the trip leaves just to make sure. Do NOT trust the online thing.
    Just curious if you got an email confirmation from them after you made reservations online.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I always get an email back from 5 Star, confirming my online reservation. But I also make my reservation 5-6 months in advance.

Reactions: Invictus
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Soda said ALL the Overnight Boats are flooding the processors, If it was only the L.R boats their wouldn't be an issue.
    That's my understanding. I heard this from 2 different captains on 2 different trips I was on. Both boats said there catching so much fish that the crew is working 18 hour days. It must suck to be a deckhand on a overnight or a 2-3 day boat. Never get any sleep.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    I am on a 1.5 day trip next week. Last week I called 5 Star to make a reservation and was turned down. It seems that they only make a maximum of 15 reservations per day. I then called Fisherman’s Processing and made a reservation with them. 😀

Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0