blackpearl70

Apr 15, 2008
San Diego
Name
Jen
Boat
31 Cabo Express
Hi guys,

Well yesterday morning my nephew and I decided to get up and do our thing. We arrived at the mission bay Hyatt at 4:10 and proceeded to get underway. I had just had both caterpillar diesels and my westerbeke generator serviced three weeks before. The previous owner used the cabo to watch birds......yep he was an Audubon member and they would stay on the boat at their dock and watch birds in Laguna.......

Anyhow to stay on track, my mechanic is fantastic came down from LNG beach and did a great job servicing my power plant. He did warm me however that the previous owner had put car hose clamps on several key pieces of cooling equipment, that would need to get replaced as he did almost all of them.

Well at about 14 miles out with awesome bait my aft bilge light keeps coming on intermittently and I stopped put them in neutral and discovered that the hose clamp on my starboard engine rusted out and water was seeping in the engine compartment from the cooling plant. CRAP!

Shutdown starboard flipped around and headed for the barn, and started to see if I had the right size hose clamp....ughhhh no. Well we got in at 7:40 headed to west marine fixed it with so e spares also on hoard by 8:22 am and said let's go. I also told my nephew that fr some reason I thought we would cach a big fish today because of all the bad luck we had.

Long story short, most of the birds that I saw where in the 182 area and west while we trolled through to the 43. Very very little kelp it was just not there. At around 12:15 heading back in I decided yo pick them up and head back to that fishy area around the 182.

Up in the tower I spotted a bird school of very large tuna crashing about 500 yards off the bow. Told my nephew to get ready slowed down the Adrianna turned sharply threw two scoops of dines and BAM!!!!!!! He is on, my fish missed the hook.

The first run almost spooled him on 30 pound on a saltiest reel 15-40 pound calstar rod. He kept the tip up and got some line back and the fight was on...

I had to run the boat on this fish to land them ther was no way we could have gotten him if I was fishing. These fish are just too strong and smart........at this point I am thinking big bluefin.....

No, the fish starts to come up near the surface and I knew my old pals are back this year to stay......I gagged him in the stern and hauled the beast onto the deck......

BIGEYE......yep there here, and there were some in that school that were over 100.

It was my nephews biggest tuna ever and locally mine too. I was proud of him. We headed in after that our persistence and teamwork paid off and if the host had not had that hose clamp we might not have been in that spot at at time.

Here it is....nice job Nathan!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Wow... F'n WOW! I hope they weren't just breezing through. This is gettin to be nuckin FUTS!

I have to admit, It looks like a yellowfin to me. Either way, NICE FEESH!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
This should get interesting,looks like a Yellowfin to me.

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Great story, way to be persistent and get back out there. Needless to say it was well worth the second launch.

Reactions: edk1178
Upvote 0

j free

Mar 7, 2007
fallbrook
Name
jeff
Boat
A rubber duck
Sorry, but that's not a big eye.
Photo 1 you can see the fork of the tail. Big eye don't have those two nubs.
Photo 2 the marking on the side of the fish. Big eye markings are straight up and down.
Big eye's body are a lot rounder on the back bottom half.
Other signs I can't see, the pectoral fin would be past the second dorsal fin.
That is a yellowfin.

Reactions: WhyMe
Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Nice fish, whatever it is....

Here are a few links / resources posted by Jason on how to correctly identify yft vs. Big Eye...
Doing my own home-work & looking at the pdf file Jason posted it's clearly a yft looking at the "v-votch" @ the Caudal fin & "bright yellow" finlet coloration, from the pics you provided. Either way, awesome way to turn the trip what started out a bad trip into a memorable one!
Links on identifying yet vs. Big Eye:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bigeye-id.548344/

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/beyetuna/ItanoBigeyeTunaID.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: WhyMe
Upvote 0

D-spot

Fishing....... Where You're Not.......
May 21, 2008
Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
23' Neptune CC "Non-Stop"
Either way, hell of a fish that's not a BFT. Nice to see something other than lock jaw BFT joining the party. Congrats!!
X2....YFT IMO but Nice Fish either way. Congrats...

Its bigger than the BFT I got yesterday. Well Done.

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Definitely a yellowfin and a nice one at that.

As mentioned yellowfin have a V notch in the center of the tail. Bigeye do not.

Also the pectoral fins are much longer on a bigeye when compared to a yellowfin. If you fold the pectoral fin forward on a yellowfin it will not touch the eye. If you do the same thing with a bigeye the pectoral fin will cover the eye.

Nice grade of yellowfin for local waters for sure and yellowfin will swim with big Bluefin.

Congrats!

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Four way jig stop off the 302 many years ago with Tom aboard the Limitless.

Bigeye love kelps and have caught several in the vicinity of one.

Notice the extremely long pointed, not rounded, pectoral fins and girth of the fish compared to length.

The only tuna with a longer pectoral fin is the albacore.

I'm sure they are coming...

Best Trophy Fish Pics 003.jpg

Upvote 0