Oct 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Name
Nicki
Boat
None
Hi!
General question-
Are there spinning reels which permit adjustment of the resistance required to flip the baler with the crank?

I'm shopping around for a medium action setup and all the reels I'm finding do not have adjustment for this.

I did a search and didn't find posts about this so apologies if this has been answered.

Thanks!!!
Nicki

muledeer07

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
That's a slippery slope there. If you were to loosen the bale resistance, then you run the chance of the bale closing when you try to get that extra long cast. Snapping off whatever jig your trying to rip out there. If you tighten it up too much you run the risk of damaging the internal mechanism that flips the bale back when you start to reel. Ultimately do what everyone else does that uses high performance spinning gear. Flip the bale closed manually. A lot of the new high performance reels don't even close when you start to reel. They all are manual closure of the bail after casting.

Nicpenna

Oct 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Name
Nicki
Boat
None
That makes sense there would be consequences to adjusting it. My problem lies in the fact that I like to rotate the baler all the way to the stop while it's open before I cast. The resistance is high enough trying to crank-close from that position that I find I either have to use my thumb on the crank axle or risk deflecting the crank. Maybe I should just change how I set up the cast. :p

Thanks!!!!
Nicki

Amadeus

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
You will find that, as you examine SW spinners intended for heavier line classes, they will not have:
  1. Rotor clutch disengage switches; nor
  2. Auto bail close
Both of those are Murphy's Law enablers. With bigger game fish, "less" [things to go wrong] is "more."