Adding windlass to older boat?

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
I have a 1973 24' Chaparral Cuddy. The anchor is currently mounted in place on the bow and is manually deployed and hauled back up. I have had this boat 2 years now and have yet needed the anchor but I know the time will come and I will probably NOT want to do it old school manual! Im an old guy and dont really wanna crawl through the cuddy vbrith area to delpoy/retreive the anchor.
Thoughts on adding a windlass to the bow in the picture?
Seems I would need a pulpit of some sort?
Windlass Size considerations?
Wiring recommendations for safe install?

thanks!

Attachments

• 73 Chaparral Cuddy Bow.jpg
    73 Chaparral Cuddy Bow.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 73 Chaparral Cuddy.jpg
    73 Chaparral Cuddy.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I did it not too long ago. Great addition to the boat. Use the anchor all of the time now.

Used a Lewmar V700 and an 11lb anchor. Already had the right chain and rode.

1583192879265.png

The wiring wasn't horrible. Plan, buy marine wire and take your time. You have plenty of room for bow roller and you won't need to add an entire pulpit.

1583193239001.png

The kit comes with the switch, wiring diagram, circuit breaker and winch. Pick up a roller, wire and heat shrink connectors. Picked up wiring and connectors from here: https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/index.php?route=common/home

I changed out my anchor as well to a Bruce.

Upvote 0

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
I did it not too long ago. Great addition to the boat. Use the anchor all of the time now.

Used a Lewmar V700 and an 11lb anchor. Already had the right chain and rode.

View attachment 1118522

The wiring wasn't horrible. Plan, buy marine wire and take your time. You have plenty of room for bow roller and you won't need to add an entire pulpit.

View attachment 1118533
The kit comes with the switch, wiring diagram, circuit breaker and winch. Pick up a roller, wire and heat shrink connectors. Picked up wiring and connectors from here: https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/index.php?route=common/home

I changed out my anchor as well to a Bruce.
Awesome!! Thank you!

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
You will need to make backing plates also.
Just for the roller. The winch comes with one. I used some leftover 3/4" Starboard with fender washers for the backing.came out great.

The one thing he will have to do is climb up there to bump the anchor to move the cog so it falls.

Also, put a snubber or pin on the boat so the anchor doesn't come off when trailering. There is a good thread on here somewhere about that happening while on a freeway in San Diego.

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
How far from the nose of the bow does your anchor locker go back and how deep is it top to bottom? The shape and size of the locker are a major factor in determining where the windlass mounts.

The chain and rode needs some distance to fall to get it into the locker. Your existing hause pipe looks really far forward in the pic. You may need to seal up that hole and make another for the rode when you mount the windlass.

As already pointed out it is certainly a DIY job. Once you have the windlass you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
That last bit is key, you need head room in the locker for this to fly. I think 18" in minimum.

Reactions: castone001
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat

Here is the thread on securing the anchor. Good read.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
karlow is right, you need more depth than you might think to the locker. i made this for mine out of 1/4" aluminum. added a seat on top, which also can hold gas cans, or my diving compressor. i was having trouble with the rode knotting up, tangling, etc. this has cured that problem.

Attachments

• output (33).jpg
    output (33).jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0