adding a second layer to deck

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
My deck gets a little wet and has a semi self drain deck with two holes that drain to the splash well. My splash well is same level as main deck so When swells are up water will go into deck. I minimize that by plugging holes with scuppers and when deck gets a little wet i pull plugs while under way to drain (gets old). Thought of drilling holes into rear of deck and adding even deck drains but hard to reach area where hoses would be ideal. It can be done but I'd have to drill drain into transom below water line which I prefer not to do. So instead of hiring a shop to replace my entire deck what about adding a top piece of marine plywood over entire deck. Like other boats I have researched this will allow a 2" channel all the way around the deck so any water can drain at very least not pool around feet. It will also minimize a clear path from splash well to deck. My boat is 2001 Cape Craft and deck is not your new glass deck. There is fiberglass layer over marine plywood underneath but top layer is awlgrip. So would adding a top layer to raise deck a good idea or bad?

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Personally, I would rather have wet feet. Adding that deck will add weight (above the cg, too) and not really do anything for the boat's ability to avoid flooding. The best case is that it doesn't look funny/homemade, but I think the chances are high that it will. But even if you have really good skills, what have you accomplished.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
It may be easier to keep the water out. Look at ping pong ball scuppers. Maybe move some weight forward. Add some weight forward. Modify the splash well, make it taller. You may have to modify the deck eventually but think about the easier fixes first. Good luck.

Reactions: PaDDy Killer'
Upvote 0