acetone in my eye, should i go to hospital

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
it flew in my eye i went straight to sink and flushed for a minute. I can see fine, doestn hurt too bad. How dangerous is it?

thanks

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Eye injuries heal pretty damn fast but if you have any blurred vision you need to go and see what the damage is. Usually things like acetone evaporate so quickly they dont cause much long term damage but you never know. If its not burning or blurred vision you should be OK. LOTS of water to wash out anything left over

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
I've had solvent's and oil in my eyes a few times.
You should be fine if you flushed it good. Blink like a mother fucker to make some tears,
and burn should go away.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Thanks Guys, i think i lived. I was scered there for a minute. Burnt myself with boiling water once too, straight to cold shower, that hurt bad.

Seeing fine, no blurry, no burning. Thanks again.

Surfdoc

The finger in the Dyke!
Mar 7, 2003
Bahia Asucion BCS
www.momentoffame.com
Name
Stan
Boat
Mx Panga, MOJAC
Got this call all the time at Poison control.. you did right.. straight flush with fresh water we say 3-5 minutes. But if you feel fine...

Your done...

Cold compress for irritation.. if you need it.

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
For safety sake you may want to be checked out by your optomitrist.

SALTYDAWG

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 1, 2003
Casa DE Oro
www.saltydawgcustomrods.com
Name
Bill
Boat
sold it
I've splashed gallons of every solvent known to man in my eyes in my years as a cabinet finisher and I never did more than rinse with water. I do have severe dry eye now from years of exposure to all the chemicals

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
Standard procedures at my place of employment is eye exam.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
rodbuilders work with alot of chemicals and have common injuries. Figured id get a quick response. There is alot of good dope on BD. There are alot of intelligent people on BD in all fields and you get some good advice here. Good luck calling the emergency room.

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
I need to share this. It might help someone some day. Years ago I was working with a crew of guys that blast and epoxy coat very large (1,000,000 gal) storage tanks. Well one day one of these guys was looking at the tip end of a 2500 psi airless gun. Yes, he sprayed a plural component (A+B) expoxy in his friggin eyes. I looked over at him and he was squirming on the ground screaming and what not. It took two guys to hold him down. Water was not even going to touch this stuff. I grabbed a big jar of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (we use it to coat the guns and our faces so the paint won't stick) and pushed gobs and gobs of it into his eyes. He had epoxy behind his eye balls. I kept this up till the jar was depleted. We actually got most of it out. Took him to the ER and they took over. This guy can still see pretty good. See this was good as a fish story, sort of.

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
what a trip...dude gets chemicals in his eye and he goes on a BD for advice..
Dude,

Bloodydecks has many people in it's membership that act like dongtips. But, I wouldn't hesitate asking a question like that. For the most part this is a good group of dongtips, when a need arises people will help.

Hell, I get my sports news here.

Owen

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 23, 2007
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
www.pictoweave.com
Name
Owen Dare
Boat
4.5 metre Quintrex
This is from an MSDS on acetone

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.
Ingestion:
Swallowing small amounts is not likely to produce harmful effects. Ingestion of larger amounts may produce abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Aspiration into lungs can produce severe lung damage and is a medical emergency. Other symptoms are expected to parallel inhalation.
Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.
Eye Contact:
Vapors are irritating to the eyes. Splashes may cause severe irritation, with stinging, tearing, redness and pain.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances toxic effects. Exposure may increase the toxic potential of chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as chloroform, trichloroethane. 4. First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.
Ingestion:
Aspiration hazard. If swallowed, vomiting may occur spontaneously, but DO NOT INDUCE. If vomiting occurs, keep head below hips to prevent aspiration into lungs. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Call a physician immediately.
Skin Contact:
Immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical attention. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse.
Eye Contact:
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention.

Mandatory eye exams are just companies covering their arse.

I work in the welding industry.
A while back I went to demonstrate a new welder to a large corporation only the find the whole crew of seven I was to see were off site.
When I asked where they were I was told that one of them had received a shock from a welder.
He said to his mate "hey I just got a boot from this" His mate decided to check it and so on till the whole seven had felt the mild shock that this faulty unit was putting out.
The problem arose when the site safety officer found out. Company rules require a 3 hour session in hospital on an ECG.
In my day we were told to take a big spoon full of "harden the fuck up".
All these "safety" rules are interfering with natural selection by ensuring too many stupid people survive :rofl:

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
If I would have been the first responder to this post, I think I would have simply typed:

"You're gonna DIE" :D

I'm glad the rest of you on BD are so nice and helpful.

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
well in that case.. iv'e got this ugly rash on my left nut,ill post pics later..
Wash your nut sack bro...... It's that simple...

If that doesn't help, try wiping your ass in a upward motion instead of a downward motion.

See we're here to help.......

CASPERKONA

Oct 13, 2006
KONA,HAWAII
Name
GEORGE TOTH
Boat
26; BLACKMAN,CASPER
i have had acetone in the eyes , it hurts bad. flush out w/ water,,, garden hose to forced open eye in extreme emergency works as i did, good night sleep should repair all,

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
well in that case.. iv'e got this ugly rash on my left nut,ill post pics later..
I'm your Dr.
Let's see that pix

If that doesn't help, try wiping your ass in a upward motion instead of a downward motion.

I got this patient, can you please go offer words of wisdom in the 1098 lb Mako thread? LOL

Surfdoc

The finger in the Dyke!
Mar 7, 2003
Bahia Asucion BCS
www.momentoffame.com
Name
Stan
Boat
Mx Panga, MOJAC
Believe it or not..............folks on BD have skills.. beyond bald face fishing lies and whineing... they have marketable skills..

Fuck scary to think about! But I never hesitate... ok I do hesitate sometimes .. but I'll ask here before I'll google..

If you don't get what your looking for... you will get a laugh.

And yes..... I still get many calls at home about poisonings... and no I don't mind at all.

If ya have a question on normal medical problems or possible poison/irritants at home... go ahead and call me.

Yes I have references LOL

Stan/Surfdoc

DenisB

icecream addict
Jul 28, 2008
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Name
Denis Brown
Boat
40' Randall
If ya have a question on normal medical problems or possible poison/irritants at home... go ahead and call me.

Yes I have references LOL

Stan/Surfdoc

- effect /interaction of acetone /MEK on nerve endings ??????

- is acetone / MEK an endocrine disruptor ????

just asking ( acetone & MEK being first cousins ) ?????

PM reply would be fine Stan..............don't want to scare these good folks, especially the ladies.
Both are issues that have been raised about acetone & MEK, whats the latest science/medical advice.
Rumor ??
Myth????
Got legs ????

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbertoe

What Simon says comes correct.
Wipe that ass in an upward motion, with regular grade steel wool. If that does not seem to work, try soaking the steel wool in acetone, set on fire, then wipe in a circular, upward motion.
If you happen to be in the Southern Hemisphere, you will need to hop on one foot, in a counter-clockwise motion, to counter the Coriolis effect, while wiping.

Simon, I listened to Naked Lunch yesterday, and it made me want to set shit on fire.
Again.