I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
Setting up the wiring for a new pot puller and I have a couple questions:

1) Calls for a 40 amp fuse and I cannot find a 10 AWG in-line fuse that has tinned wire. Does anyone know where this is available or can I get away with the blue seas 12 AWG in-line fuse? My wire run is short enough that it says I can use 12 AWG but I bought the 10 AWG. Kind of confused because of the 40 amp fuse requirement in the ace manual and everything I see for 12 AWG says 30 amp max.

2) I need to extend the cord on the ace to reach my Scotty plugs. Can I make my own extension cord with Merinco plugs to get the extra 3 feet I need or will this cause problems?

As always, TIA.

Ben

Fish_on!

Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
Use the 40 amp for sure, and certainly use 10 AWG, 8 if the run is longer than X feet, I think there is a calculator somewhere. I used a breaker like this instead of a fuse: Amazon product
My run length is good to go and I could get away with 12 AWG per the ace manual. This setup would work but I want the ability to swap for the 30 amp fuse needed for the downrigger. Trying to avoid additional holes, wires and plugs.

Spring Fever

Jul 2, 2009
Gig Harbor
Name
Bait dragger
Boat
Floater
Then it probably depends on what you're pulling. If you are pulling shrimp pots in the San Juans, heavy pots (30+ lbs) plus current, you'll struggle not popping 30 amp fuses. If it's lighter weight gear, you may be ok. I run my downriggers off mine and haven't had any issues, but i've not been hung up and overloaded them either.

Reactions: woodfish330

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
You can’t/shouldn’t (safely) pull 40 amps through 12g so it doesn’t matter. How much current does the motor pull at peak?

I feel like ace didn’t do their best when they put that manual together.

If you go with the bigger wire and the rear of the circuit can handle it you don’t really need to swap the fuses out when going to the DR. I like Patrick’s 8g idea.

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
Then it probably depends on what you're pulling. If you are pulling shrimp pots in the San Juans, heavy pots (30+ lbs) plus current, you'll struggle not popping 30 amp fuses. If it's lighter weight gear, you may be ok. I run my downriggers off mine and haven't had any issues, but i've not been hung up and overloaded them either.
I thought Scottys also have a thermal auto reset overload in them so it seems like a 40 amp would be fine for them.

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
The fuse/breaker protects your wiring/plug. Wire those for 40A, as noted Scotty has internal protection for overload. Also, use the awg/current chart for your circuit length, remember to calculate based on round trip wire length.

Fish_on!

Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
Thanks for all the responses. Main thing I learned is that ace doesn’t tell you how to do it correctly. Per their directions I should be using 12 awg.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Pulling against tides in the Juans, on one pull I was popping fuzes like popcorn. Even melted some insulation on the wires. Tacoma Marine put in ten gauge and 40amp, puller has been pulling like a mule since..

Reactions: woodfish330

rickstah

Ocean ho.
Nov 24, 2013
Bremerton
Name
Rick
Boat
19' Maxum for the Sound / Ocean boat-ho
Put in a circuit breaker. I rewired all my downrigger plugs last year after my pulled chewed through fuses like crazy and even melted the fuse holder when trying to pull ladner pots in a tide change on Hood Canal.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
My ace held up for years. Think I just had it on the same circuit as my downrigger with nothing special other than the 30 amp fuse.

Probsbly not the right way to dot it...but it worked.

And I will agree with you guys that there are might be better options but the reason the ACE has seen success is 1) cost. You realize you can buy 3 of them Compared to the nicer ones Mentioned 2) you can put them away and move onto other things. So while yours is hanging off the gunnel...mine was put away in a nice bag and I moved onto whatever else I had going on .

Reactions: blindpig

leohayday

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 3, 2009
Paso Robles
Name
Leo
Boat
2830 PARKER
I have an ACE also and it works great for lobster hooping but it is too weak for serious crabbing, If you call ace in canada you can get an 8" sheave that gives the puller about 50% more power. Works great!

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
My own solution-- I ran an independent 6/2 tinned wire from the batt switch to a larger fuse block in the helm, then a leg of 10/2 to each d/r outlet. 40A blades for each one. Haven't blown one yet; use for d/r's, puller, squid lights, and (yes, I finnaly caved and bought a pair) electric reels.
I also installed a Blue Seas ACR, to keep the house battery charged.

Reactions: EJ Swanny

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
As much as I’d like to talk shit about these “entry level” pullers I’ve seen them in action and perform admirably.

Hell, with our seasons it’ll die of old age before over use.

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
for the 1-4 days most of the state gets for shrimping, the Ace does a fine job for the $$.

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
I'd love to have one of them skookum pullers. But $1500 is a bit out of the wheelhouse for some of us. Ace gets the job done for the poor man. :D Any of you looking to get rid of a discovery bay or electra dyne at the price of a Brutus, give me a holler.:frehya2:

Reactions: Fish_on!