SOLD Accurate Tern 500N 4.7:1 (I'm Keeping It)

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
Thanks for the help everyone, manage to figure out a way to make it work so I can keep the reel! 😁

Catch and release, just bought this off the board but it will not mount on the rod I had planned for it. I really like it otherwise, suuuper smooth. Good condition, just a couple small scratches on the side. Previous owner states it was filled with 50# braid.

$270, just want to get back what I paid for it. Flexible, can meet any time in National City or Downtown during the day.

IMG_8210.jpgIMG_8211.jpgIMG_8212.jpgIMG_8213.jpg

Last edited:

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
you can get shorter/longer fastners or a different clamp.....if you really want to keep it,

good luck.
Unfortunately, the spacing for the studs is too narrow. I tried a Duran's fishing clamp as well, but the the gear housing won't let the reel foot center on the clamp.

joker63

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 14, 2007
Bakersfield CA
Name
Danny
Boat
I wish
Unfortunately, the spacing for the studs is too narrow. I tried a Duran's fishing clamp as well, but the the gear housing won't let the reel foot center on the clamp.
Have you tried the durans MINI clamp ?
I know it works on the Trinidad 16N & saltiga 35NH even a Tranx 300

Reactions: fakeruben

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Try a Pitbull clamp or a Tiburon?

Pretty sure you can swap studs for single SHCS. I think the body threads are 1/4-20 threads. That will increase width. I have not done it with mine. But all my other reels with holes in body are 1/4-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juanba

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
Problem is there is no extra room between the stud and gear housing. If I swapped the studs for something slimmer, I might be able to get it on my 30# rod (currently only fits on the top few inches of that rod).

From what I've read, Accurate explicitly states that the Pitbull doesn't work on 500N size reels. And from looking at the tiburon it looks like the extensions where the two pieces clamp together would also interfere with the gear housing.

IMG_8215.jpgtiburon-accurate-clamp-kit-17178-640x640.jpg

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
the clamp studs are so close on these reels it can barely fit on a calstar gfdh800M. Go for a rod with a reel seat or grab a uc rod. Fits handles on UC RCE models up to 9’ easily.
Are you saying it fits on deckhand UC RCE models? Or that the clamp will also mount on UC RCE models with reel seats?

Plan A is replace the reel. Plan B is get a new reel for Rod 1 and a new rod for the Tern... 😁

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Problem is there is no extra room between the stud and gear housing.
Swapping to 1/4-20 SHCS directly into reel body eliminates need for barrel nut. So you gain width. It would be distance between two mounting holes and thats it.

Another option if installing on DH rod is to thin out the cork or cord were you mount the reel. I have some friends that do that on old Seekers with big butts.

Trip....I have never seen that Tiburon clamp. Maybe just try the generic on for Trini20?

Last edited:

joker63

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 14, 2007
Bakersfield CA
Name
Danny
Boat
I wish
If you really want to keep the reel go try on a durans mini
No tiburon clamp would work
Here’s some pics on mini clamp on my narrow 35 saltiga 🤷🏼‍♂️
4B645642-5C3D-4324-A245-65571DAFDA53.jpeg
C013F02E-17CE-4C04-9D40-84345A424A65.jpeg
D9C9DF4A-FA07-4BC8-8842-B54E70D401E1.jpeg

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
El Monte
Name
Robert
Boat
Not yet
Are you saying it fits on deckhand UC RCE models? Or that the clamp will also mount on UC RCE models with reel seats?

Plan A is replace the reel. Plan B is get a new reel for Rod 1 and a new rod for the Tern... 😁
My 500N fits on these UC deckhand rods using the original clamp:
Rce1000mega 25-40
rce900mega 25-40
the handle diameters are much smaller on the newer composite rods from many manufacturers, if you must use the clamp. If not the reel seat option opens many more doors.

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
UC have the thinnest butts. All my Seekers I have to modify clamp/fastners and go higher up butt.

The later is not an issue as I am a tall person with wide shoulders. Actually more comfortable with reel up 20-22" or what ever works with rod and reel.

There is a way. Just have get creative. When LH Lexa came out there was no Tiburon clamp for LH. I just machined down the clamp to make it work. Still works 6 years later.

Reactions: fakeruben

fakeruben

Apr 17, 2017
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
Malibu X-Factor
Team work makes the dream work! Measured the reel and I knew the mini was going to be a tight fit if it even did work. Was able to exchange for the different size and had to pick up some longer screws from Home Depot (#8-32 x 1 inch) for a test fit.

Can barely slide a dollar through the clamp and the reel, but there's clearance! You can also see there's just a little more room for a wider rod (this is a 6480h with grip over the cork), it's the dang narrow reel cauing all the fuss. Gonna have to order some better quality screws before I take it out on the water.

Thanks @Derby @joker63 for the insight! @Robsurf thanks for helping with Plan B!

IMG_8218.jpgIMG_8220.jpgIMG_8224.jpgIMG_8223.jpgIMG_8221.jpg