Heartoak

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Thanks Benny. I honestly don't mind....too much.... getting my ass handed to me by a good fish. It is sort of what makes fishing ...fishing. :-) At least I got bit.

Over the years I have caught some huge fish on light tackle. I can't tell you how many times I heard Poco lineas No bueno when fishing in the sea of Cortez. More often than not the pangeros got their eyes opened by the end of the day.
With lighter tackle I always have much more confidence in getting bit. But that doesn't mean I won't go heavier if needed....
Jeff

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I agree, as I've said many time to people when asking about this type of fishing, I fish for the bite first, then worry about whatever else afterwards. Keep going

Reactions: Tarpun

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
The charter with the best price.
Proteus;
Yes I am thinking that will be my next rod purchase. I started on the light side because I am a light tackle fisherman at heart. I figure it almost always results in more action to go as light as you dare to. Yesterday was not a good test of it because I was a bit distracted trying to familiarize myself with a new boat and electronics package. A few more weeks and that will go away.
I really would have liked to have more time on this rod yesterday but the wind was pushing us of the spots to quickly.

In general though I think these Shimano rods are a very good value for the money. I think I paid less than $350 for it.
The one I have is a ML 68 Grappler Slow J. I went with it because I intend to also use it for Tai Kabura and Inchiku type lures and felt the lighter action would work better in that application than the heavier versions. Time will tell....
Hth Jeff
Good to know, I find it hard to gauge when they only put out the max jig weight instead of an average or range like all the other SPJ rod mfgs do. Makes me wonder what the low range is of the 330g & 400g models and how well they'll move lighter jigs. Daiwa is coming out with one soon and they list the jig wt in max also, not sure why but it makes ordering rods online (sight unseen) a little more uncertain.

Last edited:

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Proteus;
That is definitely a issue when trying to select this sort of gear. But you just have to start someplace and learn. There are a lot of other situations and conditions effect how one of these rods is going to perform. Jig shape....water depth and current....etc.etc.
Based on my limited experience I would have to say there is no one set up that is going to work all the time.

Yesterday with the conditions (or lack thereof) I was trying a few different jig shapes in the same weight. One shape in particular felt the best in this case. When I tried some other shapes that I have had good luck with in the past they either felt "dead" or uncontrollable. I think it is always going to be like that. Just have to experiment until you can recognize what works and what doesn't for each day and set of conditions you face

Jeff

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Proteus;
That is definitely a issue when trying to select this sort of gear. But you just have to start someplace and learn. There are a lot of other situations and conditions effect how one of these rods is going to perform. Jig shape....water depth and current....etc.etc.
Based on my limited experience I would have to say there is no one set up that is going to work all the time.

Yesterday with the conditions (or lack thereof) I was trying a few different jig shapes in the same weight. One shape in particular felt the best in this case. When I tried some other shapes that I have had good luck with in the past they either felt "dead" or uncontrollable. I think it is always going to be like that. Just have to experiment until you can recognize what works and what doesn't for each day and set of conditions you face

Jeff

Quote: "That is definitely a issue when trying to select this sort of gear. But you just have to start someplace and learn."

That bit of wisdom is the key to success in any pursuit. You have to start somewhere.
If the prospect of being a successful SPJ'er has piqued your interest there is only one path. '
You jump in and attempt to swim. At the beginning you will for sure swallow some water but soon you learn not to choke. One has to progress through hard fought challenges on their own. Key board fishing can only give the "general" direction. We all find our own success through our own efforts. Experience is the best teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Walt

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
Proteus;

Jeff
I know all too well how the conditions factor in, I'm up north.

Because I already have a few jigging rods and this method isn't really proven up here, SPJ is just going to be another tool for me and I won't be picking up an assortment of rods in different power ratings. I'm just going to do my best to find one that covers as much ground as possible or my sweet zone from my light & med jigging gear. Either way I'm not going to be experimenting at a few hundred a pop.

I think I read Benny say he could tell how a rod will perform just by holding it in the shop, I completely agree, that's why we're so frustrated nobody out west carries this gear. Until they do I'll just have to do my homework and cross my fingers. I am considering that Grappler tho..... .... just which one.🙄

Reactions: aztec23

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Proteus;
I get it. My pockets are not full of money either.
Rod selection this way is very difficult. I can only tell you that I am happy with the value for the dollar on the Grappler rod I now have. Is it the right rod for you? Very hard to say. If you have very strong currents to deal with and need well over 200g jig weight to get down,,,,,then probably this model is too light. There are just so many variables.
My rod selection rational was based on mainly using jigs of 200g or less. In 250' depth or less. And as per Shimano specs for this rod 20# power pro. I will tell you that just the difference in line diameter between 30# and 20# makes a difference in the control you have on the action of the jig. Now I have to find out if it is heavy enough to get the job done here?
I would think that for your area this model rod is probably too light. I have not fished a lot up north and the few times I have it was over very rocky bottom. Seems to me a bit heavier action rod might be better. But I am just guessing.
Jeff

Reactions: Proteus

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
As you try different rods, pay attention to how they load and unload with whatever weight jigs you use with them. Note how your different actions feel. Some will be a little punchier (faster recoil with a bit of a quicker push through the water) and some will be slower (slow unload and not as sharp of a recoil). You can play with this by overloading or underloading a rod, across the spectrum of that rod's limits. There's no rules until you reach the limitations of your tackle. That's why I've been talking for so long about the quality of the rod and its performance in different depths of water.

I realize that this is hyper technical, but the action that you impart on the jig will affect your bites - particularly for bottom dwellers. The faster you can get dialed into what the fish are looking for on that particular day will reap benefits in terms of your catch. Do not use what tuna bite as a barometer of how dialed you are getting with SPJ. Tuna are dumb and will hit anything moving so long as its in front of their face. The bottom stuff, that takes skill.

The greatest difference between an average jig fisherman and a very good jig fisherman, in my opinion, is the ability to understand jig selection matched with the right action paired to the day's conditions. The only thing to help that is time on the water.

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
Good info, I found overloading to be a way to get decent jig action on the light jigging rod I use, I still have to do couple other things make it work. My 1st attempts with a legit SPJ rod didn't go well, although I got the rating right the tip was too soft to keep fish out of the rocks. I've been thinking of going overboard on the rod and getting the heaviest rating but that would make getting the right movement on lighter jigs challenging.

Still doing my homework on this gear, eventually I'll get it right.

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Don't forget proper form too, which helps. Many people that think that rods are "too soft" are not keeping the butt end of the rod under their forearm while pitching. They have it under their armpit like they're speed jigging. You can take better advantage of the action of the rod just by holding it the correct way. Just a thought. . .

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
Don't forget proper form too, which helps. Many people that think that rods are "too soft" are not keeping the butt end of the rod under their forearm while pitching. They have it under their armpit like they're speed jigging. You can take better advantage of the action of the rod just by holding it the correct way. Just a thought. . .
I watched your vid seminar and when you displayed that technique and all I could say was "dammit man, I don't have thick forearms to do that". I tried it, keeps slipping off my elbow.:o

Reactions: Cubeye

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Two things will help. 1) handgun grip tape from Amazon. It stays on even when wet, it's cheap and won't scuff up your shirt or scratch your skin. 2) If you're fishing an Innovate or Gravitate rod, I designed them to have a textured butt section that is non-slip.

Reactions: Proteus

aztec23

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2017
North County SD
Name
Nick
Boat
Wellcraft 18 CC
Just saw Penn is coming out with a line of SLP rods and reels. Their the Battalion II line and best news is that their relatively affordable $150 for rods!

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
It was only a matter of time, like any technology, when it's new and hard to obtain it costs a ton and then shortly after that somebody is going to make an affordable version that performs like the original. Daiwa is also coming out with one that's under $200.

It's just a question if they get it right, we'll see.

Reactions: aztec23

aztec23

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2017
North County SD
Name
Nick
Boat
Wellcraft 18 CC
Yes the fact that major players are introducing these specific rods and reels gives us hope that our local tackle shops will either carry them in store or order. Nothing like handling the gear before purchasing.I have both Penn and Daiwa rods and reels I gotta believe they are not going to put out a subpar product.