Accurate Fishing Reels

Man Overboard

Feb 12, 2009
Ventura,Ca
Name
Daniel
Boat
N/A
Anybody fish the Dauntless reels? What are your reviews? Are they worth the $? I have never fished any accurate reels but was looking into getting the 600 and maybe the 500 for some tuna fishing 2-3 day trips

Upvote 0

BigLouFishing

Sep 18, 2009
San Diego
www.SanDiegoAnglers.com
Name
Louis Almeida
Boat
No Boat
I have been fishing Accurate reels for about 8 years now. I recently purchased the DPX500N and was not pleased to have it break on the first trip out. Fisherman's Landing had it replaced and the new one started to act up also. I don't know what to say. I have never had any problems with my Accurate reels before, but talking to other people, they are noticing a number of new Accurate reels breakdown too soon. I have not given up on them yet. Their customer service was outstanding and replaced the defective reels immediately.

Reactions: game killer
Upvote 0

DHarris

Dec 28, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Name
David Harris
Boat
none
What went wrong on it? If you don't mind saying...

I'm looking to purchase one of the 2013 limited edition reels and am debating between an ATD50 or Dauntless 400n. was leaning towards the 400n.

Upvote 0

BigLouFishing

Sep 18, 2009
San Diego
www.SanDiegoAnglers.com
Name
Louis Almeida
Boat
No Boat
Not sure what broke on the reel as Fisherman's Landing had the reel replaced with a new one. The issue was that when any amount of drag was set on the reel, winding on the reel caused something inside to grind. On the second reel, the drag lever would get stuck in the free spool position. Then when it finally engaged, the reel handle was close to impossible to turn. Then all of a sudden, everything was fine. I am going on a 10-day trip this month and this reel will be on my Wahoo rig. If this reel breaks again, I will be sure to contact Accurate directly as a reel costing this much $$$ should not encounter these type of problems.

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
What went wrong on it? If you don't mind saying...

I'm looking to purchase one of the 2013 limited edition reels and am debating between an ATD50 or Dauntless 400n. was leaning towards the 400n.

That's like being torn between a Subaru Imprezza STI and a Ford F-350. Quite a difference between the use profiles of those two reels.

Upvote 0

Man Overboard

Feb 12, 2009
Ventura,Ca
Name
Daniel
Boat
N/A
Well hope I don't run into any issues.. Went out got the 400, 500 & 600 set them up with Grafighters. I wanted something that would hold up year after year and top of the line so I guess we'll see! Can't wait to give them a try. Thanks for all the advice

Upvote 0

BigLouFishing

Sep 18, 2009
San Diego
www.SanDiegoAnglers.com
Name
Louis Almeida
Boat
No Boat
Well hope I don't run into any issues.. Went out got the 400, 500 & 600 set them up with Grafighters. I wanted something that would hold up year after year and top of the line so I guess we'll see! Can't wait to give them a try. Thanks for all the advice

Well I hate to say, but I am fed up with my Accurate reel. Again a new Accurate reel (DPX2-500) breaks on the first fish hooked on my 10-day charter. It was only a 46# Wahoo. The low gear gear broke this time. As you can see from my previous post, I have had nothing but problems with these new reels. The first reel had a bad spool, the second reel had a dog break, this third reel had the low gear teeth break. What is sad is that I had to bring out my backup reel. A Penn Fathom 30. Not a reel made for 50# plus Wahoo, but I am happy to report, the Penn reel handled all the Wahoo without a hitch. So one has to wonder how a $219 reel did just fine on big fish while a $625 Accurate reel continues to break. I have now broken three new Accurate reels on the first day of fishing. Let's hope they solve their quality control issues soon, as they lost a loyal customer.

Upvote 0

190Montauk

Almost A Member
Jul 21, 2012
Newbury Park, California
Name
John
Boat
2008 Boston Whaler / Whaler 19

I just purchased my first Accurate reel today. Picked up an Accurate Boss Dauntless DX2-500 reel. Hope it doesn't have problems like the DPX2 I've been reading about.

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
Milpitas
Name
Dan
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
Just to clarify, it sounds like BigLou is having issues with the Dog Pound series (DPX), not the Dauntless reels (DX series). If I understand it correctly, the DPX have anti-reverse dogs but no anti-reverse bearing (ARB). The BX2 reels, which are no longer in production, had an ARB but no dogs. Some of the more learned reel gurus have lamented this configuration when used at extreme drag settings. The Dauntless, which is the reel about which the OP inquired, has both dogs and ARBs. All of this is meekly defined on the Accurate website. Basically, if the site does not explicitly list a feature, it's not included on the reel.

Reactions: jersea and bulllred
Upvote 0

Steamer Lane

Feb 23, 2013
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Name
Stu
Boat
Cindy Lorrie
There you have it. Fact.
Just to clarify, it sounds like BigLou is having issues with the Dog Pound series (DPX), not the Dauntless reels (DX series). If I understand it correctly, the DPX have anti-reverse dogs but no anti-reverse bearing (ARB). The BX2 reels, which are no longer in production, had an ARB but no dogs. Some of the more learned reel gurus have lamented this configuration when used at extreme drag settings. The Dauntless, which is the reel about which the OP inquired, has both dogs and ARBs. All of this is meekly defined on the Accurate website. Basically, if the site does not explicitly list a feature, it's not included on the reel.

Upvote 0

Supahr_Ed

Aug 23, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Name
Edward
Boat
I have a Boat?

There you have it. Fact.

OK, I really want to get some facts out there on the Accurate DPX2 reels since I have been confused for the past two days. The above quote is only true for sizes 500 and below.

For the 600 series, 30 and 50 size reels, the DPX2 has TRIPLE DAWGS and an Anti-Reverse Bearing. This is not stated on Accurate's website or many other sites (except Melton Tackle). I purchased this reel thinking it only had Dawg gears due to ARB issues I have been reading about. Accurate was finally able to confirm this information to me. It was stressful trying to gather all the correct information but Accurate's Customer Service tried to be has helpful as possible, which I greatly appreciated.

The current DPX2-600 actually says "BX2-DAWG" on the reel and not "DPX2" like the 500 series. This is really annoying and none of the pictures online are updated yet. See picture below.

IMAG0254.jpg

Upvote 0

tunafishing69

Mar 17, 2013
san diego/ca/usa
Name
thang
Boat
no
Not sure what broke on the reel as Fisherman's Landing had the reel replaced with a new one. The issue was that when any amount of drag was set on the reel, winding on the reel caused something inside to grind. On the second reel, the drag lever would get stuck in the free spool position. Then when it finally engaged, the reel handle was close to impossible to turn. Then all of a sudden, everything was fine. I am going on a 10-day trip this month and this reel will be on my Wahoo rig. If this reel breaks again, I will be sure to contact Accurate directly as a reel costing this much $$$ should not encounter these type of problems.

i bought an accurate bx 500 back in 2013. 4 months ago some bearing just given up on me so i said to myself, it should be cheap. shipped back to accurate, serviced and was billed $120. i didn't know what the hell to say but whatever. so if u wanted accurate reels to last in the long run. u better be ready for the $$$$$$$$$$.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer

The only thing I would change is that the ARB is somewhat optional on the DPX2 reels. Originally they had them, then they didn't, but would put them in if you asked. Now I'm not really sure what the policy is

Upvote 0

gingervco1

Almost A Member
May 10, 2007
Costa Mesa-San Jose del Cabo
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 2120
Well I hate to say, but I am fed up with my Accurate reel. Again a new Accurate reel (DPX2-500) breaks on the first fish hooked on my 10-day charter. It was only a 46# Wahoo. The low gear gear broke this time. As you can see from my previous post, I have had nothing but problems with these new reels. The first reel had a bad spool, the second reel had a dog break, this third reel had the low gear teeth break. What is sad is that I had to bring out my backup reel. A Penn Fathom 30. Not a reel made for 50# plus Wahoo, but I am happy to report, the Penn reel handled all the Wahoo without a hitch. So one has to wonder how a $219 reel did just fine on big fish while a $625 Accurate reel continues to break. I have now broken three new Accurate reels on the first day of fishing. Let's hope they solve their quality control issues soon, as they lost a loyal customer.

Sounds like it's the indian not the arrow. I have 10+ accurates and have had 0 problems.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    I just purchased my first Accurate reel today. Picked up an Accurate Boss Dauntless DX2-500 reel. Hope it doesn't have problems like the DPX2 I've been reading about.
    The guy complaining about the DPX reel has had problems because he bought a reel that has not been in production for several years and probably needed some requisite factory upgrades. The DPX series are great reels but there were several factory upgrades that we found necessary to correct some problems with that reel. We do all of those upgrades free when the reel is sent in for service. I have the whole series of those reels from 400 up to 30 in narrow and regular frames. They are great reels.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    Sounds like it's the indian not the arrow. I have 10+ accurates and have had 0 problems.
    The guy complaining about the DPX reel has had problems because he bought a reel that has not been in production for several years and probably needed some requisite factory upgrades. The DPX series are great reels but there were several factory upgrades that we found necessary to correct some problems with that reel. We do all of those upgrades free when the reel is sent in for service. I have the whole series of those reels from 400 up to 30 in narrow and regular frames. They are great reels.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    I agree with you, those reels should not have had those problems. I typically deal with any customer returns and warranty issues. I can state emphatically that for you to have problems with Dauntless reels is extremely rare. Our QC at Accurate is intense and every reel is individually tested by hand. The reels are all put through the kind of testing that is designed to reveal any flaws and break anything subject to breaking before the reel can ever get to a customer.

My name is Al and I am in charge of service so please feel to call me at our office or email me at [email protected] if you have any issues with any of your Accurate reels. We are very meticulous and want you to be as satisfied as possible with our product.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    The BX-2 reels are still very much in production. Don't know who said they aren't. We still make the BX, BX-2, Dauntless (DX-2), a long with the Valient series and our new Tern star drag reels.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    There is much miscommunication in the posts on this particular string of posts. The Dauntless is an awesome group of reels in the sizes you mentioned. The DPX reels are also awesome reels once they receive the free factory upgrades. I have the narrow and regular versions from 400 up to the DPX2-30. I personally upgraded them all and they are as good as any.

If you have any questions and want correct answers please call me at Accurate or email me at [email protected].

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    The only thing I would change is that the ARB is somewhat optional on the DPX2 reels. Originally they had them, then they didn't, but would put them in if you asked. Now I'm not really sure what the policy is
    Let me clarify something: The DPX series never had an ARB. The ARB is added as part of the factory upgrade to the reel. The current policy is 1) we no longer make the DPX series and 2) if you have a DPX t
    Send it in for routine service and free the cost of the service it will be upgraded. Once upgraded it is as good as the BX or DX series of reels because it is essentially the same. We can leave the dogs in or at customer request we can take them out during the upgrade. I have several and I left the dogs in Just because I could. Now my DPX reels are as good as the DX reels except they have 3 dogs instead of 2.

Upvote 0