Accurate Cast Control vs. Avet Magic Cast

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Is the Avet Magic Cast system markedly better than the Accurate Cast Control system? Avet certainly costs more, raising the price of MC Avets almost to the Accurate range. I know Avet uses magnets and Accurate does not, but do they both work? Any preferences from people who have used both?

forefrazier

Captain
Jun 14, 2007
OC
Name
Steve Frazier
Boat
Cabo 226
Isn't Accurate's knob just a spool tensioner like on every star drag type reel?

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I love Avets but hate the handle bind issue. If that could be fixed, they'd have a super line of reels. But every HX I've seen has a handle bind issue at relatively minor levels of drag. It's not bad in low gear but a real drag in high gear -- say when I'm trying to retrieve my bait quickly to recast to a tailing marlin.

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
Magi cast and cast control are 2 totally different things, and the magi cast really only helps with over 3-4 oz weight minimum. Does nothing other than psychologically for an anchovy.

Tomsd

Aug 22, 2009
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
None
As one who has bird nested all the new reels when I first went to the Let's Talk Hookup remote shows a few years ago (including both Avet and Accurate - but I am getting much better now
) - the only one I haven't really been able to backlash is the new Shimano Tranx. http://www.meltontackle.com/products/shimano-tranx-reels.html
It has a beefed up baitcasting system from the Curado and originally from the fresh water bass reels I believe. Great reel - but only single speed so far, and not cheap either @ $499.

HermosaJoe

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
I love Avets but hate the handle bind issue. If that could be fixed, they'd have a super line of reels. But every HX I've seen has a handle bind issue at relatively minor levels of drag. It's not bad in low gear but a real drag in high gear -- say when I'm trying to retrieve my bait quickly to recast to a tailing marlin.
Exactly

hmk4272

Aug 10, 2009
fullerton
Name
ken
Boat
in the future
Is the Avet Magic Cast system markedly better than the Accurate Cast Control system? Avet certainly costs more, raising the price of MC Avets almost to the Accurate range. I know Avet uses magnets and Accurate does not, but do they both work? Any preferences from people who have used both?
I don't think MC Avet is in price range of Accurate?????

hmk4272

Aug 10, 2009
fullerton
Name
ken
Boat
in the future
Update: Avet has eliminated the handle bind issue with their Raptors.
All lever drag reels have binding issue at high drag pressure. You can't eliminate that problem. Raptors bind more than Accurates at higher drag pressue. IMHO