Accurate Bv2-800 vs Penn visx 16 on a UC cx76 centaur

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by shooter21, Mar 15, 2018.

1. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Is the new valiant bv2-800 a good fit for my UC 76 Centaur for a solid 80# bait stick or would it be a better fit on the 76 raptor and get the Penn 16 for the centaur?

2. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    The line and drag capacity of the Valiant would match well with the Centaur. I think it would be overkill on a Raptor.

3. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    76 Centaur - The 20VISX all day with 100#

16Visx - Raptor - 60# or 80#

800 Val - Centaur

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. Bob Sands

Bob Sands BOB SANDS TACKLE Advertiser

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Yo Shane,

I am looking forward to putting the Accurate 800 thru some personal testing.. The guys at Accurate tell me they feel it is the reel deal... And I have no reason not to believe them. However, I approach this a bit different than some. In response to your question Here are a few approaches I would consider if the intent is to fish those great Guadalupe Yellowfin, Lupe, near structure big Yellowtail, or those more local giant Bluefin.. If we are talking ultra long range trips over 12 days, I would possibly consider a different alternative.

The Factory Wrapped RCX 76 Centaur is an Awesome rod for that 80 pound work.. However, due to the factory build of the rod I would not consider it a "Stealthy" rod rather more of a sophisticated, Mac Truck approach.. There-fore I would match this configuration with a 16 Sized Okuma Makaira or a 16 Sized Penn VISX.. I would also consider the Accurate ATD 12 or ATD 30 depending on line capacity needs. No doubt the lightest in class feel of the Accurate 800, along with the bigger diameter to allow more drag surface and crankability, is going to be a huge draw. I like the 16 as the diameter feels great in my hands while I love the 20 sized reels for the Viper and above series of UC Rail rodss. I am not sure how the 800 will balance with the heavier duty configuration of this rod but I will be trying the 800, probably with a factory knob rather than a ball grip, on various rods, including this one, to see how it balances and feels in my hands..I just need to find the time as we are still shipping rods and jigs ordered Before, During and Now, with our after show specials for our walk in clientele..

We are wrapping a number of CE Centaur 76 custom rods in a manner I feel is more of a stealthy (Read Not better just different) approach to this great rod.. Without going into detail why, there are many folks who might love this rod without the Cold Shrink and a longer, possibly thinner fore grip.. We will also use a slightly lighter yet extremely durable set of Guides for this application. At this point a more stealthy reel could be considered along the lines of an Accurate 800 though the 12 and 16 size Mac, VISX, Shimano Talica 20 or 25 and Accurate ATD reels would still be very appropriate. There are several Reel manufactuer's who also have appropriate reels for any of the various rod builds you may have. Try one, Try a few, try them all on your rod of choice.... This is Very much a You sort of thing.

The individual angler will be dictating terms..with a little help from us as the mental and physical feel of a rod/reel combination is such a personal thing.. Once an angler learns to bend the rod correctly, realizing just how much power this rod can put out, with very little effort, the angler still needs to "WANT" to fish this rod because it feels good to them. Just like purchasing a Vehicle, there will be some who love to drive a F250 while others are looking for more of a sports car.. Both vehicles will get you from point A to Point B without scraping your ass on the ground, but each individual will feel one is better than another to accomplish the specific task they have in mind. Often times, the driver of the F250 does not need it for hauling or towing, they just like the way it feels and drives. With your heavy duty 80 pound rod, crank-ability under full load will be a mandate.

I cannot stress highly enough the mental aspect of fishing as it pertains to not only having a better hook up ratio but also the enjoyment aspect of the overall fishing experience. This is particularly true as it applies to matching up a rod to a reel. Bring that rod to your nearest long range experienced tackle shop and try different reels on it to see how it feels in YOUR hands.... both under load stand up, under load on a simulated rail and while just holding the rod, simulating you waiting to get bit. Remember, much of your day (Sometimes it feels like too much of the day) will be spent holding the rod, back peddling the spool or waiting to get bit so this is an important part of the feel test equation. You are probably spending well over 1000 dollars for this rig, including Spectra, which could last a life time.. Why not spend a bit more time, picking and feeling a matching reel, to see what YOU think? Hope this helps.

Have a great season.

Jamie

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  5. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Thanks for the response Jamie, the valiant 800 is definitely stealthier and lighter than most if not all reels designed to fish 80#, so it would make sense to build a rod around the same characteristics for a more enjoyable balanced setup.

Bob Sands likes this.
  6. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    I mounted a Mak 15 on my centaur and it completely changed the feel but was still balanced and very light. Turned it into a live bait casting machine. I would think that the Valiant 800 would be a very good match and create a relatively light setup even with the factory build.

Was able to straight crank 25 lbs of drag in low gear without issue.

While I fully agree with Jamie, I highly recommend that you test the Valiant800/Factory Centaur combo.

shooter21 likes this.
  7. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    I do have a cp70xh that might work, but there's really not that much weight difference between it and the centaur

8. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Shane,

I completely agree, I just received a factory built CP70XH and I did not notice much weight difference. And the Centaur would let you use more of the drag capacity of the reel. At least that is how it stocks up for me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    FishRock so lighter action means the cp70xh will bottom out quicker meaning less lifting power than the centaur. So it's basically a 60# class rod with the ability to fish 80# in a pinch? So it would be best to drop a reel size to a visx12, dx2-600, bv2-600 even though it's a 50-100# rated rod?

10. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    That is how I am seeing it. Though "bottoming out" is seeming more and more relative to each angler and how they fight a fish. I would characterize the CP70XH the way you describe it. But others have a different perspective. Here is a thread that may be of some interest.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/uc-cp70xh.651107/

11. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17
    I have a MAK 16 on my Centaur. I totally agree with your assessment that the MAK 16 or equivalent VISX 16 is right reel for the Centaur. It just feels and looks perfect on that rod. Anything taller isn’t going to look right on the Centaur and isn’t necessary for 80

12. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    I caught all my fish this winter using a 76 Centaur and Mak 16. One of the more experienced deck hands commented that he thought it was "very well balanced". Definitely an excellent 80-100 lb. setup. I also put an Mak 15 on it and that would have been a pretty darn good 60-80 lb. rig. Just did not think I needed to go that light to get bit.

13. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    What do you think about the Mak15? My son has a few Maks but instead of the 15 I thought about getting him the Penn visx12

14. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I love my Makairas but never found a good niche for the Mak 15. I've recently traded my last Mak 15 away and have the VISX 12 that I'll probably use for 60. Other guys really like their MAK 15's for 60.

15. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Thats what I'm gonna do I think, the mak 15 is a weird shape seems to me anyways

16. FishRock

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    The Mak 15 is just a wide 10. I picked my Mak 15 up for ~$200 less than a VISX 12 (and the VISX 12 was not available yet) so I am happy with what I have. If I were looking for a new reel or fished more than one trip a year I would certainly be looking hard at the VISX 12. It is sized more in line with how folks think the Mak 15 should be.

Lake likes this.
  17. shooter21

shooter21 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Someday
    Yah I agree I like the new Penn sizes, they did away with the wides. Even the new 30 is a narrow spool