Illkeepfishing

Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2011
New York, New York
Name
Charles
Boat
Royal Polaris
When I put my brand new Accurate ATD 12 in freespool and turn the handle, the spool turns. Is that normal? Putting the reel in freespool takes it out of gear; so the spool should not turn when I turn the handle, correct?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What is the position of your preset?

Sactotuna

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Putting a leverdrag into freespool doesn't actually take it out of gear, it just moves the drag washers away from the friction plates. Something is causing a little contact in there, could be too much grease somewhere. As long as it still freespools well don't worry about it.

fishbone24

Sep 19, 2007
Westchester, NY
Name
Corey
Boat
2014 Henriques 42 HTEX "fishbone" 2016 mako 234 “lil fishbone”
i haven seen multiple problems with accurates and all are "right out of the box"? its amazing that the most expensive reel producer cant put someone on the end of the assembly line to make sure their "platinum" product is working up to expectations?

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
i haven seen multiple problems with accurates and all are "right out of the box"? its amazing that the most expensive reel producer cant put someone on the end of the assembly line to make sure their "platinum" product is working up to expectations?
There are no finer reels made than the Accurate ATD's. BUT, and it bothers me to have to say this, you're right.
I bought an ATD from someone who had an 'issue' that I easily corrected, but never should have left the factory without being noticed. Saved me over $300 :)

It's not the machining, it's assembly.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
A Accurate ATD is what I want in my hands when hooked up to a cow tuna....it is the smaller Accurates that I have issues with......I have never had a problem with any of my Accurate Platinums.....

Now the small ones are a whole other matter.......

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
get a okuma!
Already had to correct one issue with the Okuma Mak I'm testing this winter, the second issue is uncorrectable but unlikely to manifest. Report will be posted in Feb.

shajcl

Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
Already had to correct one issue with the Okuma Mak I'm testing this winter, the second issue is uncorrectable but unlikely to manifest. Report will be posted in Feb.
Mind sharing that with the rest of us. I have only used a 20 last season on some 120# fish and had no problem with the reel at all other than the short arm.

Jeff

Illkeepfishing

Oct 27, 2011
New York, New York
Name
Charles
Boat
Royal Polaris
In response to Steve K., the drag preset is all the way down.

Interestingly, it doesn't happen when the clicker is on.

I'd like to know if other ATD 12 owners have experienced the same "problem," if it is a problem. (See Sacotuna's first response above.)

I sent an email to Accurate and will see what they have to say. I will also ask Alan Tani.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
So, it's uncorrectable by your view or theirs?

Have you given them a chance to correct it.

You are leading the witness counselor (sorry, just read a Lincoln Lawyer book) :D

bluewater23t

Oct 2, 2008
Florida
Name
Ted
Boat
Bluewater

I'd like to know if other ATD 12 owners have experienced the same "problem," if it is a problem. (See Sacotuna's first response above.)

I sent an email to Accurate and will see what they have to say. I will also ask Alan Tani.[/QUOTE

I think this is normal, but I cannot remember the reason that was given to me- if you put your finger on the spool, it should stop the spool from spinning when turning the handle, just like when the clicker is on.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

I sent an email to Accurate and will see what they have to say. I will also ask Alan Tani.
Want to be sure I understand what you mean by "All the way down." Is it backed off all the way or pushed forward all the way? With a scale, at Strike, how much drag are you pulling off the reel?

Illkeepfishing

Oct 27, 2011
New York, New York
Name
Charles
Boat
Royal Polaris
What I mean by 'all the way down' is that the drag lever is on A or below A, the lowest possible drag setting as I understand it. (Given your question I tried it with the drag lever on the letter "O" and the same thing happens.)

The larger lever used to put the reel in gear is clicked into freespool. When I turn the handle the spool turns. With the clicker on, the spool does not turn.

bluewater23t

Oct 2, 2008
Florida
Name
Ted
Boat
Bluewater
I looked at my reels yesterday- I have a 12 with no line on it- backed off the drag like you, the spool barely spins while turning the handle. My 30, with spectra on it, does not spin. Maybe the line adds enough resistance.

Anyways, like I said, I think its normal, but get it from the horse's mouth....accurate.

teamr2

Sep 28, 2011
pensacola, fl
Name
james thomas
Boat
Various
Probably too much grease on one of the drag washers. Not going to hurt anything and it will go away after you use it. I just checked my 6, 12, and 30, and none of them do it but they all have line on them. Nice reel by the way. The 12 is so versatile.

bigfishsato

bigfishsato
Oct 10, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
Garry
Boat
None
I understand this is normal, since you say it does not turn once the clicker is on. If you need a full explanation call Cal or Eric at Cal's 2 speed for the full dope on your situation.

Bigfish

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
I have a few ATD's. Very nice reels. ""The best ever", "finest made" subjective statements such as who is better Willie or the Mick. Every reel has its strong points and its weak points. The ATD - can every one say they are happy with the two speed shifter? If its the finest why do we need to buy a $100.00 upgrade from Sato or Cals to improve it?
Or why do some of us send our ATD's to Cals to have them blueprinted?

I will freely admit my favorite reel is a Penn 50T modified by Cal. Its a vintage 1988 model that has had metric tonnage caught on it. Its easy to fix. Cheap to fix. And frankly its indestructible.
It doesnt have any where near the drag of an ATD or an Avet. It has no free spool until Cal does what he does. The cam adjustment is just ok.
But, it just doesnt break and needs little maintenance.

I went out and bought a couple of Cal Sheets modified 50 and 30 VSX reels.
Curious to see how they perform.

Attachments