F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I was wondering if there is any video or anything of Accurates arb being strength tested to see how many lbs it can hold up to.

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
I am not aware of any videos, however I am aware that some extremely big fish have been landed with no concern as to the ARB failing. I am also aware of some individuals who using a vehicle, loaded up their reel and the ARB held up fine. We have never seen one of the stainless steel ARB bearings fail.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I am not aware of any videos, however I am aware that some extremely big fish have been landed with no concern as to the ARB failing. I am also aware of some individuals who using a vehicle, loaded up their reel and the ARB held up fine. We have never seen one of the stainless steel ARB bearings fail.
Im just curious to see how many lbs they would break at.
Do the atd's have the arb too?

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
ATD reels do not have an ARB. They have a totally different system with stainless steel gears and dogs.

Last edited:

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Suppose the arb is contaminated with some saltwater. Will this cause it to fail?

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
A **huge** fraction of the arb reels -- all brands -- that come into my shop have enough salt in the arb to cause a failure of the anti-reverse. Of course, that can be avoided with careful care, but the arb is hidden from view and many customers do nothing to keep it clean other than hose off the outside of the reel. Being able to replace the arb makes it easy to keep these reels on the water. Unfortunately, many reels have permanent, press-fit arbs that cannot be serviced except at the factory.

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
Nov 28, 2016
El Monte
Name
Robert
Boat
Not yet
Alantani suggests corrosion x for arb bearings (amongst other mechanisms) And probably some cals grease or marine grease around the water entry points. If the reel goes for a swim then service asap. Otherwise light rinse after uses.

Reactions: abj5150

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Suppose the arb is contaminated with some saltwater. Will this cause it to fail?
The ARB will always be subject to some saltwater contact. If properly maintained it should not have any problems.

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Thank you

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
if the salt gets in the way of the needles moving properly im sure it would.

Im just curious because the valiant 800 and 1000 have arb only, and the 800 and 1000 advertise 36-42lbs of drag.
The Valiant 800 and 1000 get the drag as advertised. The ARB used by Accurate can handle the load. Besides that, one would rarely be fishing drag at those levels if ever.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
The Valiant 800 and 1000 get the drag as advertised. The ARB used by Accurate can handle the load. Besides that, one would rarely be fishing drag at those levels if ever.
Well the valiant 1000 is a very large reel, and carries a lot of heavy line. If I were to use my 800 or 1000 for 100lb would the arb be able to load 20-35lbs of pressure on a possibly 300lb fish for up to 2 hours? If I wanted to use a bv 1000 for kite fishing would the arb lack?

Wish the larger valiants were built somewhat like the dauntless, with the double dogs.. since they are much larger reels and don't really need the smaller valiants futuristic weight loss design.

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
Wish the larger valiants were built somewhat like the dauntless, with the double dogs.. since they are much larger reels and don't really need the smaller valiants futuristic weight loss design.
Then why not just buy the Dauntless??

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Then why not just buy the Dauntless??
I had 2, the 400-600. One thing I didn't like is how hard they were to service, with other reels it's simple. Take off can assembly and sideplate and boom. I have broken like 10 screws in accurate reels already. Pricing of the dauntless's are highest in the business. With double dogs and a top of the line arb they are nice reels though.

Also, im talking about the valiant 800-1000 sizes specifically. The dauntless aren't made in those sizes.

I loved the valiant 500-400-600 though. Along with the dauntless 400-600.

abj5150

Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Well the valiant 1000 is a very large reel, and carries a lot of heavy line. If I were to use my 800 or 1000 for 100lb would the arb be able to load 20-35lbs of pressure on a possibly 300lb fish for up to 2 hours? If I wanted to use a bv 1000 for kite fishing would the arb lack?

I can tell you that the BV2-600 with the same ARB has fought and landed a 300+ YFT with no problem. There is also a scenario where a Kayak fisherman handled a 500 pound Marlin with a BV2-1000 for 6 hours. There is a video on our website. I am sure the 1000 could handle the kite just fine, but if you are kite fishing you should be using an ATD. At least a 30.

Last edited: