Accurate Announces the Tern, the first TwinStarDrag reel

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by PezGallo21, Jul 11, 2018.

1. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    That is correct.

2. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Thanks for the heads up!

PezGallo21 likes this.
  3. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    Out of curiosity, is there any reel manufacturers that includes a heavy duty clamp that you described?

4. reeljunky

reeljunky Member

Name:
    MIKE
    Boat:
    None
    No there isn’t. Wouldn’t it be nice if a premium reel manufacturer included a premium reel clamp? Especially if you’re hiking up the price by $20. I know what things cost to manufacture and it comes down to volume. For example, if they were gonna make only 1 tern then it could cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k for a 1 off. Change that equation to 10k per year, well the price drops significantly. Same goes for the simple tiburon clamp. The clamp is very simple to make, it has 5 aluminum pieces that can start as extrusions, requiring 3 extrusion dies. It also has 6 stainless fasteners that are super cheap because they are an off the shelf fastener (again in volume). Even if it was a special designed fastener you would be looking at around $0.16 per fastener. So if you start to do the math you can see my disappointment in all this.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    rexor_rn likes this.
  5. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    I think SEIGLER Reel Made in Virgina is the closest manufacturer that includes a stock Heavy Duty Clamp jmo judging from their top notch personalize craftmanship....and Accurate may follow soon :-)

BD2D0E8D-110A-4721-A018-6AB0DC05DA21.jpeg

6. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    To clear up any confusion, I am attaching a photo of the stock clamp. Yes, this is a Valiant reel, but the Tern clamp is exactly the same, just in black. The clamp is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is extremely strong.

IMG_9961.jpeg

tugasangler and rexor_rn like this.
  7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    That's the clamp they're crying about? Jezzz. Am I missing something? Looks way nicer than the piece of cheese you get with most reels.

tugasangler and kayakbeast33 like this.
  8. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    There you go!!! And now its 2....who says we still need the Tiburon clamp. :-)

9. reeljunky

reeljunky Member

Name:
    MIKE
    Boat:
    None
    I don’t think I heard anybody actually crying about the clamp. There was however some discussion regarding the differences in clamps (tiburon vs. stock) and what it cost to manufacture some parts.

rexor_rn likes this.
  10. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    OK,sorry, that clamp looks fine to me. Hell I paid a chunk for trini's and that clamp is total crap, or those plastic ones on penns.

rexor_rn likes this.
  11. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Does the pitbull clamp fit the Tern? All sizes?

No one could complain about that if it works.

12. Flee187

Flee187 Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    none
    Can anyone who has a Tern in hand speak about the freespool and castability of the reel? More specifically the weight of the spool. I've always noticed that lighter spools are much easier to cast. How does the spool weight compare with something like a shimano torium?

ROSSOLY likes this.
  13. birdie800

birdie800 Newbie

Name:
    Chay
    Boat:
    N/A
    Has anybody with the 500 loaded their's up with 65# Izor spectra? I'm looking to get about 50 yards of 50# mono top shot, so I was wondering what to aim for with the spectra. I am thinking 300-350 yards to make room for the mono.

14. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    We did a side by side comparison with the Tern 400, we put it on the same model rod as we had or Trinidad 20's on, a Phenix PSW-700H and on back to back casts with same hook, same size bait we got at least 20' more out of the Tern. Off Cabo last month I had a 500 mounted on a Seeker 9' Jig rod and again it had more range that any other jig reel I've had on my rods, others have been( Newell 300's, Accurate Valiant 600, Trinidad 20 30 gold, Trinidad 20 30 silver, Talica 12 II, Daiwa Saltist, and Seagate). Keep in mind above list is not there to be a true comparison, just a list of what I have tried. The factory Tern rod clamp didn't move on that rod during the trip, landing some big skipjack and a YFT around #60.

15. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    So your disappointed that Accurate is not doing something that all the other reel manufacturers don’t do either? Are you disappointed with all the other reel companys too or just Accurate?

Btw-The reel clamp that comes with Accurate reels works just fine in a a good reel seat configuration.

Why don’t you start a reel clamp company. Seems you have the knowledge to do so?

Hkrob, BluefinCurly and I hate seals like this.
  16. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Just grab one now I just received an email from J&H for its availability...in fact im starting to eat my words after a great discount offer lol :-)

17. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    Yes, everything is cheap and easy if you don’t have to actually do it.

So what do you think the minimum volume you’d have to order to get an extruder to push each of those five profiles, and how many clamps do you think that represents?

18. Otis2527

Otis2527 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    My son just filled our Tern 500 with 75 Izor. He filled it to the top and it took just at 500 yards.

birdie800 likes this.
  19. Otis2527

Otis2527 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    Very interesting reading all of the comments related to the Tern.

There are so many solid reels these days it makes it hard to decide. When I started out fishing on the West coast, the choice was Penn then Newell came along and later on Diawa and Shimano stepped up.

Fast forward today and you really can’t go wrong with any major reel maker. Just pick one you like or pick more than one.

Reels are just a tool to help get the job done. The fisherman is the one who gets the hook up and lands the fish. On my last trip in 2018 the top guy was using two Newells and a newer Penn 4/0. The boat total was 40 BFT for 35 fishermen - he had 5.

I have had a number of Accurate reels in my rotation for over 20 years. I like the product, performance, the company and their customer service.

The Tern looks to be a quality product at a fantastic price point. IMHO paying nearly $500 for a “smooth” star drag reel is a tough sell.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 10:38 AM
  20. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    My Tern 400 BLACK already arrived today and had it spooled @ my local tackle shop right away. I’m lucky I got it for a deal much cheaper than the pre-ordered price for a Tern 300 BLACK that I had to cancel again due to lack of clamp (thanks PezGallo21 for the heads up).

So sweet a reel & perfect size for my hands, plan to use it for some slow pitch jigging and see how it performs eventhough its a non-auto engage reel..

F8A2C3F4-2C0F-4D96-89B4-2B2097F68069.jpeg 38B5C753-0EBD-4212-936B-79D7D94E1520.jpeg 360799F3-260D-409F-965F-0B6318ED2A3E.jpeg