Accurate Fishing Reels

tugasangler

Apr 9, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
My Tern 400 BLACK already arrived today and had it spooled @ my local tackle shop right away. I’m lucky I got it for a deal much cheaper than the pre-ordered price for a Tern 300 BLACK that I had to cancel again due to lack of clamp (thanks PezGallo21 for the heads up).

So sweet a reel & perfect size for my hands, plan to use it for some slow pitch jigging and see how it performs eventhough its a non-auto engage reel..

View attachment 1001492 View attachment 1001493 View attachment 1001494

You spooled it with 65lb braid for slow jigging ?

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
You spooled it with 65lb braid for slow jigging ?

Nope I’m ordering a 20lb & av30lb Yozuri Braid for that....The 65lb is temporary for testing the reel for some bottom fishing if weather cooperates tomorrow, its my only available spare line right now.

Upvote 0

1911diver

Jul 14, 2016
San diego
Name
Octavio
Boat
Sea boss 1800
I purchased my Tern 500 yesterday. I was able to put the Tiburon Valiant 300 clamp kit on it and it fit perfect.

Well I didn’t do it, had the good folks over at Squidco put it on.

I’m putting it on my Phenix 10’ Jig stick for surface irons fun.

Hopefully the pictures work.
2.jpg
3.jpg
01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bentbaitstick
Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
Just received emails that the 2 tern 400XLs have shipped. Looking forward to finally testing these out.

I thought both were shipped but it was only 1 and the other just shipped yesterday. Instead of a 400XL I received the 500 XL in a 400XL box. I now have to ship that back and wait for the correct one.

Upvote 0

Seaing Red

Almost A Member
May 1, 2017
Oceanside
Name
Ryan
Boat
23’ Parker DVCC
I have the tern 400x and just got the tern 500x. Took it (500x) out of the box and gave a couple cranks hoping to feel that super tight, solid feel of the 400 but there’s a slip or clunk in the spool it body ? No play in the handle or spook but something gives or moves while reeling. Went to LP to check out a 500 low gear they had on the shelf and it produces the same noise/ feeling. Anyone else notice this ?

Upvote 0

Fishdood

Fishgistics
Sep 30, 2012
San Marcos, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Austin
Boat
I purchased my Tern 500 yesterday. I was able to put the Tiburon Valiant 300 clamp kit on it and it fit perfect.

Well I didn’t do it, had the good folks over at Squidco put it on.

I’m putting it on my Phenix 10’ Jig stick for surface irons fun.

Hopefully the pictures work.
View attachment 1004551 View attachment 1004550 View attachment 1004549

I have that same clamp on my 400 on my ULUA because its the only clamp I could find to fit but man does it suck. (The stock clamp does not fit an ULUA or this wouldnt be a problem) The clamp is right in the way of your hand and its really annoying how far up past the reel it sticks. Hopefully someone comes out with a better clamp soon.

Reactions: tunabrad5
Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
I have that same clamp on my 400 on my ULUA because its the only clamp I could find to fit but man does it suck. (The stock clamp does not fit an ULUA or this wouldnt be a problem) The clamp is right in the way of your hand and its really annoying how far up past the reel it sticks. Hopefully someone comes out with a better clamp soon.

Is it possible to take the two metal clamp rods off? I just dont need it.

Upvote 0

fishjunky

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I have the tern 400x and just got the tern 500x. Took it (500x) out of the box and gave a couple cranks hoping to feel that super tight, solid feel of the 400 but there’s a slip or clunk in the spool it body ? No play in the handle or spook but something gives or moves while reeling. Went to LP to check out a 500 low gear they had on the shelf and it produces the same noise/ feeling. Anyone else notice this ?
I have the low gear 500 and a 400x. I’m having what sounds like what your describing with my reels. I haven’t fished the 500 but I recently used the 400. I was throwing a 120g colt sniper for lings and rockfish and pulled up a bunch of rockfish and two lings. I casted it a few times to see how smooth it was and it was smooth. The issue I was having was with the spool during retrieving. It was noisy and seemed clunky. It was noisy and has a noticeable hitch, It feels like something is grinding. I was hoping that it just needed some breaking in but I used for half of the trip and that noisy clunky feel never went away. I will be contacting Accurate sometime this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmallButterNuts
Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
Took my 500X out for a spin today, catching fish. Solid cranking power for a high speed reel. What I didn't like is the knob seems to get rather slippery when wet. Is anybody else in the same boat? Anyway to improve the grip?

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
I have the low gear 500 and a 400x. I’m having what sounds like what your describing with my reels. I haven’t fished the 500 but I recently used the 400. I was throwing a 120g colt sniper for lings and rockfish and pulled up a bunch of rockfish and two lings. I casted it a few times to see how smooth it was and it was smooth. The issue I was having was with the spool during retrieving. It was noisy and seemed clunky. It was noisy and has a noticeable hitch, It feels like something is grinding. I was hoping that it just needed some beaking in but I used for half of the trip and that noisy clunky feel never went away. I will be contacting Accurate sometime this week.
Shoot me a PM I would be happy to get you taken care of.

Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
I thought both were shipped but it was only 1 and the other just shipped yesterday. Instead of a 400XL I received the 500 XL in a 400XL box. I now have to ship that back and wait for the correct one.

@PezGallo21

The wrong size reel in the correct box was shipped to me back in February so I had to return it J and h are still waiting for the lefty high gear 400 in silver. Any idea when they will receive shipment for one?

Thanks,

Simon

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
@PezGallo21

The wrong size reel in the correct box was shipped to me back in February so I had to return it J and h are still waiting for the lefty high gear 400 in silver. Any idea when they will receive shipment for one?

Thanks,

Simon
I can't give an exact date since I have no way to checking for your specific reel, but it should not be too long. That is a standard reel that we are building pretty much every day. I would give J&H a call just to check in.

Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
I can't give an exact date since I have no way to checking for your specific reel, but it should not be too long. That is a standard reel that we are building pretty much every day. I would give J&H a call just to check in.

I've been calling every 3 days for over a month now. This also costed me another 20 dollars for shipping because the wrong reel was sent to them, and in turn they sent me the wrong reel. Can Accurate send a reel to me directly? Or at least figure out a way for me to receive this reel. My order was put in on 8/22/18 and its April 2019 now. This is a QC issue with you guys. How do you package the wrong reels in the right boxes? J and H received multiple returns with the wrong reels. Let's try to fix this.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
I've been calling every 3 days for over a month now. This also costed me another 20 dollars for shipping because the wrong reel was sent to them, and in turn they sent me the wrong reel. Can Accurate send a reel to me directly? Or at least figure out a way for me to receive this reel. My order was put in on 8/22/18 and its April 2019 now. This is a QC issue with you guys. How do you package the wrong reels in the right boxes? J and H received multiple returns with the wrong reels. Let's try to fix this.
I shot you a PM, I will get you taken care of.

Upvote 0

jonhjax

Almost A Member
Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
I own a Tern 500 4.7:1 gear ratio and a Shimano Torium 16HGAL. I haven't taken them offshore yet but I have played with them in the Intracoastal Waterway a little. I also play with them around my house just about every day. I bought the Tern for an 8 ft. Star Stellar boat rod rated for 20-50 lb. line and the Torium for a Temple Reef G-2 slow pitch rod. I have now played around with both reels on both the boat rod and the slow pitch rod. One thing that stands out to me is the balance of the Tern and a small but significant ergonomic detail that I really like about it. As to balance, the Tern's gear box is located more on the bottom and center of the reel while the Torium's gear box is more to the front. The lower and more center balance of the Tern makes it feel more balanced to me. It really feels better to me on the slow pitch rod than the Torium does.The Torium's forward gear box doesn't balance on the rod as well to me for that reason. Now for that little ergonomic detail the Tern has. The free spool lever is located more on the top of the reel and when you put the Tern in free spool the lever doesn't go all the way back to horizontal like other reels so I feel I can put the reel in gear easier if a fish hits while it's in free spool. It's a small thing but it's a factor that helped me choose the Tern over a Torium, a Daiwa Saltist star drag and a Penn Fathom lever drag. I could've bought the other reels for less money but I liked the feel of the Tern more so I went ahead and bought it. The spool sometimes has about a quarter to a half inch of rotation before it locks in gear when taken out of free spool and sometimes I reel between a quarter and three quarters rotation before it locks in gear but I can live with this. Most of the time it locks in gear pretty much immediately. When it locks in gear it's positive and solid. I don't have any worries that it will go out of gear or anything like that. You can feel a "double click" when you put the reel in free spool but when you put it in gear there's none of that, just a good, firm click. If the Tern performs as well as it feels to me I'll be very happy with it, no doubt about it. I'll also probably buy a Tern 400xl for the slow pitch rod later on. I'll get to test the Tern 500 out a couple of times on head boats in North Florida this summer and hopefully I'll have a pretty good idea of what I've got after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0