Accurate Fishing Reels

THunter529

Dec 17, 2018
Rialto
Name
Tristan
Boat
Liberty
Anybody have an ETA on the low gear 400 in black? Ordered one on J&H yesterday and would like to know if Ill have it before my opener trip in march

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
If this reel cannot come with a decent clamp and a reel cover you guys have already lost...
The stock clamp works very well. For those using strictly deckhand style grips, a clamp in the Tiburon style can be more effective in distributing load. A clamp like this would not work as a stock clamp as it would not fit on reel seats. That being said, we have used the stock clamp countless times on deckhand rods with no issues. It is always nice to have options!

Upvote 0

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
The stock clamp works very well. For those using strictly deckhand style grips, a clamp in the Tiburon style can be more effective in distributing load. A clamp like this would not work as a stock clamp as it would not fit on reel seats. That being said, we have used the stock clamp countless times on deckhand rods with no issues. It is always nice to have options!

Ant the stock clamp has the benefit of being included with the reel, correct?

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
This is the type of stuff that makes me question things accurate does. Why would you even consider the tiburon clamp? You have the capability to make something better and universal to compete or even blow the tiburon clamp out of the water. They have no real competition right now. I’m sure you mechanical designer and/or engineers could spend 40hrs and come up with a complete file for a new clamp. Unless they are bogged down with committees or BS meetings. You can even change the industry by using a magnesium alloy that is lighter than aluminum and is just as strong. Give it some cool PVD coating . Do something other than just slapping your name on an already existing product. I’m sure you already have the material and hardware suppliers. I just don’t get it. You’re not a huge corporation that moves super slow. I’m willing to even lend my time for FREE if you need to breathe some life into your R&D.

Out of curiosity, is there any reel manufacturers that includes a heavy duty clamp that you described?

Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
Out of curiosity, is there any reel manufacturers that includes a heavy duty clamp that you described?
No there isn’t. Wouldn’t it be nice if a premium reel manufacturer included a premium reel clamp? Especially if you’re hiking up the price by $20. I know what things cost to manufacture and it comes down to volume. For example, if they were gonna make only 1 tern then it could cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k for a 1 off. Change that equation to 10k per year, well the price drops significantly. Same goes for the simple tiburon clamp. The clamp is very simple to make, it has 5 aluminum pieces that can start as extrusions, requiring 3 extrusion dies. It also has 6 stainless fasteners that are super cheap because they are an off the shelf fastener (again in volume). Even if it was a special designed fastener you would be looking at around $0.16 per fastener. So if you start to do the math you can see my disappointment in all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
No there isn’t. Wouldn’t it be nice if a premium reel manufacturer included a premium reel clamp? Especially if you’re hiking up the price by $20. I know what things cost to manufacture and it comes down to volume. For example, if they were gonna make only 1 tern then it could cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k for a 1 off. Change that equation to 10k per year, well the price drops significantly. Same goes for the simple tiburon clamp. The clamp is very simple to make, it has 5 aluminum pieces that can start as extrusions, requiring 3 extrusion dies. It also has 6 stainless fasteners that are super cheap because they are an off the shelf fastener (again in volume). Even if it was a special designed fastener you would be looking at around $0.16 per fastener. So if you start to do the math you can see my disappointment in all this.
I think SEIGLER Reel Made in Virgina is the closest manufacturer that includes a stock Heavy Duty Clamp jmo judging from their top notch personalize craftmanship....and Accurate may follow soon :-)

BD2D0E8D-110A-4721-A018-6AB0DC05DA21.jpeg

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
I think SEIGLER Reel Made in Virgina is the closest manufacturer that includes a stock Heavy Duty Clamp jmo judging from their top notch personalize craftmanship....and Accurate may follow soon :-)

View attachment 1000280
To clear up any confusion, I am attaching a photo of the stock clamp. Yes, this is a Valiant reel, but the Tern clamp is exactly the same, just in black. The clamp is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is extremely strong.

IMG_9961.jpeg

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
To clear up any confusion, I am attaching a photo of the stock clamp. Yes, this is a Valiant reel, but the Tern clamp is exactly the same, just in black. The clamp is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is extremely strong.

View attachment 1000324
There you go!!! And now its 2....who says we still need the Tiburon clamp. :-)

Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
That's the clamp they're crying about? Jezzz. Am I missing something? Looks way nicer than the piece of cheese you get with most reels.
I don’t think I heard anybody actually crying about the clamp. There was however some discussion regarding the differences in clamps (tiburon vs. stock) and what it cost to manufacture some parts.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
OK,sorry, that clamp looks fine to me. Hell I paid a chunk for trini's and that clamp is total crap, or those plastic ones on penns.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Does the pitbull clamp fit the Tern? All sizes?

No one could complain about that if it works.

Upvote 0

Flee187

Almost A Member
Aug 6, 2004
Porter Ranch
Name
Frank
Boat
none
Can anyone who has a Tern in hand speak about the freespool and castability of the reel? More specifically the weight of the spool. I've always noticed that lighter spools are much easier to cast. How does the spool weight compare with something like a shimano torium?

Reactions: ROSSOLY
Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
Has anybody with the 500 loaded their's up with 65# Izor spectra? I'm looking to get about 50 yards of 50# mono top shot, so I was wondering what to aim for with the spectra. I am thinking 300-350 yards to make room for the mono.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Can anyone who has a Tern in hand speak about the freespool and castability of the reel? More specifically the weight of the spool. I've always noticed that lighter spools are much easier to cast. How does the spool weight compare with something like a shimano torium?

We did a side by side comparison with the Tern 400, we put it on the same model rod as we had or Trinidad 20's on, a Phenix PSW-700H and on back to back casts with same hook, same size bait we got at least 20' more out of the Tern. Off Cabo last month I had a 500 mounted on a Seeker 9' Jig rod and again it had more range that any other jig reel I've had on my rods, others have been( Newell 300's, Accurate Valiant 600, Trinidad 20 30 gold, Trinidad 20 30 silver, Talica 12 II, Daiwa Saltist, and Seagate). Keep in mind above list is not there to be a true comparison, just a list of what I have tried. The factory Tern rod clamp didn't move on that rod during the trip, landing some big skipjack and a YFT around #60.

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat

So your disappointed that Accurate is not doing something that all the other reel manufacturers don’t do either? Are you disappointed with all the other reel companys too or just Accurate?

Btw-The reel clamp that comes with Accurate reels works just fine in a a good reel seat configuration.

Why don’t you start a reel clamp company. Seems you have the knowledge to do so?

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Anybody have an ETA on the low gear 400 in black? Ordered one on J&H yesterday and would like to know if Ill have it before my opener trip in march
Just grab one now I just received an email from J&H for its availability...in fact im starting to eat my words after a great discount offer lol :-)

Upvote 0

stank

May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None

Yes, everything is cheap and easy if you don’t have to actually do it.

So what do you think the minimum volume you’d have to order to get an extruder to push each of those five profiles, and how many clamps do you think that represents?

Upvote 0

Otis2527

Feb 23, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Excel
Has anybody with the 500 loaded their's up with 65# Izor spectra? I'm looking to get about 50 yards of 50# mono top shot, so I was wondering what to aim for with the spectra. I am thinking 300-350 yards to make room for the mono.

My son just filled our Tern 500 with 75 Izor. He filled it to the top and it took just at 500 yards.

Reactions: birdie800
Upvote 0

Otis2527

Feb 23, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Excel
Very interesting reading all of the comments related to the Tern.

There are so many solid reels these days it makes it hard to decide. When I started out fishing on the West coast, the choice was Penn then Newell came along and later on Diawa and Shimano stepped up.

Fast forward today and you really can’t go wrong with any major reel maker. Just pick one you like or pick more than one.

Reels are just a tool to help get the job done. The fisherman is the one who gets the hook up and lands the fish. On my last trip in 2018 the top guy was using two Newells and a newer Penn 4/0. The boat total was 40 BFT for 35 fishermen - he had 5.

I have had a number of Accurate reels in my rotation for over 20 years. I like the product, performance, the company and their customer service.

The Tern looks to be a quality product at a fantastic price point. IMHO paying nearly $500 for a “smooth” star drag reel is a tough sell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
My Tern 400 BLACK already arrived today and had it spooled @ my local tackle shop right away. I’m lucky I got it for a deal much cheaper than the pre-ordered price for a Tern 300 BLACK that I had to cancel again due to lack of clamp (thanks PezGallo21 for the heads up).

So sweet a reel & perfect size for my hands, plan to use it for some slow pitch jigging and see how it performs eventhough its a non-auto engage reel..

F8A2C3F4-2C0F-4D96-89B4-2B2097F68069.jpeg 38B5C753-0EBD-4212-936B-79D7D94E1520.jpeg 360799F3-260D-409F-965F-0B6318ED2A3E.jpeg

Upvote 0