PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
As of Jan. 1, the price on all Tern models has increased by $20. We slightly underestimated our materials cost and have had to adjust accordingly.

Reactions: ghetto_dad
Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
As of Jan. 1, the price on all Tern models has increased by $20. We slightly underestimated our materials cost and have had to adjust accordingly.
A $20 difference is more than a “slight” underestimation. If I had a long standing working relationship with my suppliers I would beat them up over the price before I beat up my customers for a $20 hike. I would think that prior to your last rev, and moving into production procurement, should have had a blanket order for at least the year to keep the cost competitive. I know raw material hasen’t seen that much of a jump in the time you have started producing these.

Upvote 0

marzocchi

Captain Seasick
Nov 15, 2006
Lost at Sea
Name
Dat
Boat
Aww Shucks
A $20 difference is more than a “slight” underestimation. If I had a long standing working relationship with my suppliers I would beat them up over the price before I beat up my customers for a $20 hike. I would think that prior to your last rev, and moving into production procurement, should have had a blanket order for at least the year to keep the cost competitive. I know raw material hasen’t seen that much of a jump in the time you have started producing these.

Just go to Turners Outdoorsman, they discount the accurates all the time. They dont advertise it.

Hmmm...slight price increase ONLY for terns because of raw material cost?

Upvote 0

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
More likely the cost of the additional capital equipment.

Locking suppliers into multi-year pricing without a resonable escalation clause just drives your costs up.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    And, of course, the wild demand for the Tern makes it an easy call to raise the price...

Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
    Lafayette
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    1987 Boston 15CC
    Always has been, always will be! After using the tern, I can say the saltiga is better in more then just looks!

Please give more details. I've been torn between the tern and saltiga, and I agree the saltiga looks good and so smooth. The only issue for me is that the saltiga only goes up to size 15HL in a lefty which holds roughly 330 yards of 40 pound test. It's also only 17 pounds of drag versus 30 pounds with the tern. I'll be using it for sturgeon so not sure if the saltiga will have enough drag.

Might have to get both.

Upvote 0

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
    NJ
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    Xxxxxxxx
    I sold my tern 300x and cancelled my pre order on the 400. Part of it partially had to do with principle. You can't tell people it will be ready one month, then several months later it's still not available. Then after not being ready, upcharge another $20. That's not fair to your customers. But mostly it was based on performance. I have a lot of saltigas in many different sizes, between New and old, and multiples in certain ones. For me, the functionality, the smoothness of retrieve, the durability, ease of maintenance, the fit/placement on my outfits and in my hands, the Saltiga is the best for me! I love accurate, I have several other reels that I use offshore. Awesome. Star drag though, Saltiga! Just my opinion as I was asked.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 2, 2014
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    One important clarification on the price increase is that it only applies to reels ordered after Jan. 1. By this I mean the dealer order with us had to take place before Jan 1. For example, a lefty reel that was ordered by a dealer in December but has not been shipped yet, is still subject to the original price, but the same reel ordered by the dealer in February will be subject to the price increase. Thank you for the feedback on the exterior texture of the Tern! It is a signature of our CVX construction but we always appreciate all feedback.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Based purely on looks the Saltiga is the best-looking high-end real.

I think that's just based on individual preference. I have both Saltiga/Trini's and personally think the Trini A series look the best. The Saltiga's are the smoothest to me. Like butter. Casting those reels is amazing. I use them more than the Trini's.

Just picked up a Tern 300X last week. It's a great reel for the price point. Not in the same class as the Trini's or Saltiga's. More comparable to the Okuma Tesoro, Torium HG, or Daiwa Saltist lines. I'll use it this season with an open mind. One thing that's a definite plus is its sizes. Much lighter and smaller than most counterparts. One negative off the bat is the clamp. It leaves a lot to be desired. And there isn't a tiburon clamp available at the moment for them. Hope that changes soon.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 2, 2014
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    I think that's just based on individual preference. I have both Saltiga/Trini's and personally think the Trini A series look the best. The Saltiga's are the smoothest to me. Like butter. Casting those reels is amazing. I use them more than the Trini's.

Just picked up a Tern 300X last week. It's a great reel for the price point. Not in the same class as the Trini's or Saltiga's. More comparable to the Okuma Tesoro, Torium HG, or Daiwa Saltist lines. I'll use it this season with an open mind. One thing that's a definite plus is its sizes. Much lighter and smaller than most counterparts. One negative off the bat is the clamp. It leaves a lot to be desired. And there isn't a tiburon clamp available at the moment for them. Hope that changes soon.
    The Tiburon clamp for the Valiant fits the Tern. I do not have official info yet, but keep an eye out here as there will be more info regarding another clamp soon.

Reactions: Jigslinger
    Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
    LA
    Name
    Some dood
    Boat
    None
    One important clarification on the price increase is that it only applies to reels ordered after Jan. 1. By this I mean the dealer order with us had to take place before Jan 1. For example, a lefty reel that was ordered by a dealer in December but has not been shipped yet, is still subject to the original price, but the same reel ordered by the dealer in February will be subject to the price increase. Thank you for the feedback on the exterior texture of the Tern! It is a signature of our CVX construction but we always appreciate all feedback.

I’ll give you some free feedback and after this it will cost ya haha...
    1. Fix the tactile feel of the star. Your star feels sluggish and is not audible at all. People like it crisp and distinct. Think scope turrets on high end target scopes.

2. Fix the weak engagement feel of the eccentric lever. It feels as though it’s not fully engaging when on or off. Think saltiga lever with hard stops.

3. Change that awful kellering even though it’s a “signature”, a high end finish product should have a high end finish. Maybe even use type III anodizing to give you ultimate corrosion resistance and a hard surface. You can easily work out the tolerance.

4. Add double dogs. Shimano finally came to their senses and added double dogs and a taller AR bearing to give the trinis the best anti reverse setup. There is plenty of room in that chrome dome of a side plate.

5. Get procurement and marketing to talk to each other. The demand was there from the beginning, you know what “reel guys” are looking for so get your pricing right the first time. This means capital investment, raw material, marketing budget etc.

6. Invest in marketing. Your not doing yourselves any favors beeing so hush hush about details, pics, specs. People what to see what’s going on. Your marketing person is either not experienced or lazy or both.

7. Last one for now . Try a little more chamfering of the gears. It will help in the noise department that people complain about now. Years ago people complained about the same thing in Newell’s and people will complain now. Why do you think so many reel manufacturers invest in quieting down their reels.

Just a little feedback. Take it for the 2 penny’s it’s worth. I have years in design, marketing, manufacturing blah blah blah..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

PE Pete

Tight lines PE Pete
    Apr 20, 2018
    New Zealand
    Name
    Pe Pete
    Boat
    Quickbite
    Really well put Mike..
    I think Accurate are a smart crowd who make great reels but the launch of this particular model has been less than inspiring.
    I dont own a Tern yet so can't add to the technical debate.
    I imagine Accurate would be interested in more constructive feedback such as above.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 2, 2014
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Thank you all for the feedback! It is all read and discussed. As for the Tiburon clamp, I now have official word! We are now selling an all silver Tiburon clamp to match the Tern! Give us a call and we can get your order going.

Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
    LA
    Name
    Some dood
    Boat
    None
    Thank you all for the feedback! It is all read and discussed. As for the Tiburon clamp, I now have official word! We are now selling an all silver Tiburon clamp to match the Tern! Give us a call and we can get your order going.

This is the type of stuff that makes me question things accurate does. Why would you even consider the tiburon clamp? You have the capability to make something better and universal to compete or even blow the tiburon clamp out of the water. They have no real competition right now. I’m sure you mechanical designer and/or engineers could spend 40hrs and come up with a complete file for a new clamp. Unless they are bogged down with committees or BS meetings. You can even change the industry by using a magnesium alloy that is lighter than aluminum and is just as strong. Give it some cool PVD coating . Do something other than just slapping your name on an already existing product. I’m sure you already have the material and hardware suppliers. I just don’t get it. You’re not a huge corporation that moves super slow. I’m willing to even lend my time for FREE if you need to breathe some life into your R&D.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 2, 2014
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    This is the type of stuff that makes me question things accurate does. Why would you even consider the tiburon clamp? You have the capability to make something better and universal to compete or even blow the tiburon clamp out of the water. They have no real competition right now. I’m sure you mechanical designer and/or engineers could spend 40hrs and come up with a complete file for a new clamp. Unless they are bogged down with committees or BS meetings. You can even change the industry by using a magnesium alloy that is lighter than aluminum and is just as strong. Give it some cool PVD coating . Do something other than just slapping your name on an already existing product. I’m sure you already have the material and hardware suppliers. I just don’t get it. You’re not a huge corporation that moves super slow. I’m willing to even lend my time for FREE if you need to breathe some life into your R&D.
    Currently we are totally booked up making reels and our production is 100% focused on delivering our existing products. Tiburon makes a fantastic product and we have a great relationship with them. We are carrying the Tiburon clamp to give Accurate customers a great option for a clamp other than the stock one right now because we could not build one without disrupting our current reel production.

If you would like to see first hand how we build our reels, come by for a tour! We would be happy to show you or anyone else the factory and show how we make our products and explain why we do things the way we do. We do not do things the way everyone else done, and for good reason! Come by, we would love to show you around.

Thank you all for the continued feedback!

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    5495AF16-3768-4E01-898D-9873730376DA.jpeg
    0404E622-712B-4F1C-A5CA-10B3079B0754.jpeg
    Just got my 500x. I really like the feel of the reel. Very excited to put it to use. It’s very easy to sit back and pick apart a new production reel, but I’ve always had faith in Accurate designs and I’m confident this will work out too.

Btw- I also bought one of Accurate ‘s new rods. I’m very impressed with the finish of the rod. Again, can’t wait to put them to use.

Reactions: PezGallo21
    Upvote 0