Accurate Fishing Reels
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
REVIEW
I bought the tern the fist weekit was available in SD from the tackle shop at Seaforth and the Tern was my first Accurate reel ever purchased.(Daiwa Shimano, Avet guy) I put the Tern 400 on a 93H to use as my medium jigstick with #65 braid backing and 100' of 35# mono to start. Out of the box it was casting very nicely with the spool tension knob performing as it should and very good distance for me.
I took it on a couple of late season tuna trips and threw iron at those small YFT and Skippies but they never let me feel the fight on it as they were keyed in on bait, so no report on the feel of the drag for you guys. Since this was used as my jig stick reel it always stayed on the bow of my boat in a holder and unfortunately that is an area that gets some spray when heading uphill at the end of the day as we all know.
After the second trip I was putting my gear away and noticed that there was a greenish yellow ooze coming out of the side plates where the spool intersects and after cutting my jig off as I reeled in the line it really started really coming out. I spun the handle and thought this isn't good, but I'll put some of that on me, its a lot to ask of a reel to get sprayed with saltwater but maybe this is even debatable when we see what happens to your reels at the end of a day on overnight party boats with that hose? And by debatable I mean without hate, just knowledgeable input that may enlighten both parties.
That saltwater shower caused the spool tensioning knob to go from locked to wide open freespool only, so changing jig weights was only controllable with the thumb which is OK, but heck its brand new lets just get it cleaned out and back to the out of the box feel right?
I Originally took the reel to Squidco and let them know that I wanted to pay them to service it as it was mostly my fault for putting it through the ringer but they said they don't work on those reels you have to send it to Accurate. OK I went on Accurates website and they didn't have the Tern listed as an option to fill out their pre-maintenance form so I sent an email asking for help on how to get my reel sent in for service?.......that was about a month ago with no response. At this point I figure if and when I do get someone to assist me I probably wont see the reel until after the summer so I'll find someone locally to pay and......this will probably be the last Accurate I purchase even if it was pretty nice out of the box. My Avet went back on the 93H and she's launching jigs like she was supposed to.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
REVIEW
I bought the tern the fist weekit was available in SD from the tackle shop at Seaforth and the Tern was my first Accurate reel ever purchased.(Daiwa Shimano, Avet guy) I put the Tern 400 on a 93H to use as my medium jigstick with #65 braid backing and 100' of 35# mono to start. Out of the box it was casting very nicely with the spool tension knob performing as it should and very good distance for me.
I took it on a couple of late season tuna trips and threw iron at those small YFT and Skippies but they never let me feel the fight on it as they were keyed in on bait, so no report on the feel of the drag for you guys. Since this was used as my jig stick reel it always stayed on the bow of my boat in a holder and unfortunately that is an area that gets some spray when heading uphill at the end of the day as we all know.
After the second trip I was putting my gear away and noticed that there was a greenish yellow ooze coming out of the side plates where the spool intersects and after cutting my jig off as I reeled in the line it really started really coming out. I spun the handle and thought this isn't good, but I'll put some of that on me, its a lot to ask of a reel to get sprayed with saltwater but maybe this is even debatable when we see what happens to your reels at the end of a day on overnight party boats with that hose? And by debatable I mean without hate, just knowledgeable input that may enlighten both parties.
That saltwater shower caused the spool tensioning knob to go from locked to wide open freespool only, so changing jig weights was only controllable with the thumb which is OK, but heck its brand new lets just get it cleaned out and back to the out of the box feel right?
I Originally took the reel to Squidco and let them know that I wanted to pay them to service it as it was mostly my fault for putting it through the ringer but they said they don't work on those reels you have to send it to Accurate. OK I went on Accurates website and they didn't have the Tern listed as an option to fill out their pre-maintenance form so I sent an email asking for help on how to get my reel sent in for service?.......that was about a month ago with no response. At this point I figure if and when I do get someone to assist me I probably wont see the reel until after the summer so I'll find someone locally to pay and......this will probably be the last Accurate I purchase even if it was pretty nice out of the box. My Avet went back on the 93H and she's launching jigs like she was supposed to.
I am sorry you are having issues with your Tern. I sent you a message and I will get you taken care of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Happy to report, the Tern 500 did very well on this fancy Yellowfin tuna on the way to Cabo last week. Fish was around the #65 mark.

Cabo Door Prize 2019 049.JPG

Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
It's almost end of the month. I have 2 lefties on order from J&H since summer. Are those almost ready to ship? What's the ETA on those?

I like how @PezGallo21 responds to complaints within minutes and "likes" positive reviews on this thread right away, but fails to answer questions their customer asks. Is it because I have not received my reels yet? Or you just dont want to respond because you dont have a positive answer? Either way, it is just poor customer service. Not to mention the huge delay in manufacturing these reels. It would have been very nice of Accurate to mention that the left handed reels are the very last reels to be manufactured so I wouldn't have wasted so much time. I'm about to miss another fishing derby this Saturday without the reel I bought it for. Just disappointed.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
I like how @PezGallo21 responds to complaints within minutes and "likes" positive reviews on this thread right away, but fails to answer questions their customer asks. Is it because I have not received my reels yet? Or you just dont want to respond because you dont have a positive answer? Either way, it is just poor customer service. Not to mention the huge delay in manufacturing these reels. It would have been very nice of Accurate to mention that the left handed reels are the very last reels to be manufactured so I wouldn't have wasted so much time. I'm about to miss another fishing derby this Saturday without the reel I bought it for. Just disappointed.
Hi Simon,

I did not have an update for you yet, but I do now. The first left handed Tern reels are starting to come off the machines! It is anticipated they will start shipping at the end of the month.
IMG_9884.jpeg

Reactions: kayakbeast33
Upvote 0

ghetto_dad

Apr 1, 2017
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
LBSF
REVIEW

Just curious, did you not register for the free 2 year service warranty?

Upvote 0

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
Fish could care less. That's what these reels are about, killing fish at a fair price.
Yeah but accurate is in the reel making business not the fish killing business. With that comes market research and feedback. I’m sure they appreciate the feedback whether positive or negative.

Reactions: ghetto_dad
Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Yeah but accurate is in the reel making business not the fish killing business. With that comes market research and feedback. I’m sure they appreciate the feedback whether positive or negative.
True that, I'm sure you are correct on that. I would think a shiny polished side plate would show more scratches than the finish these reels have, but I hear ya.

Upvote 0

Cetus15.3

Aug 22, 2018
Lafayette
Name
Simon
Boat
1987 Boston 15CC
Hi Simon,

I did not have an update for you yet, but I do now. The first left handed Tern reels are starting to come off the machines! It is anticipated they will start shipping at the end of the month. View attachment 995762

@PezGallo21
It's end of the month and I called J&H in Hope's that they have some. They told me March lol. Tell me that is wrong.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
As of yesterday TX-400XL reels have started to ship! Lefty reels are leaving the building!
IMG_9947.jpeg

Reactions: ghetto_dad
Upvote 0