PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
Also, for those who have been concerned about the reel not going into gear right away and the handle needing to be cranked, that is normal for any star drag. Without getting too technical, the short answer is the spool shaft and pinion gear cannot physically always line up right away to engage, so you need a little rotation from the spool or handle to accomplish this. Without any pressure from line, this is entirely normal. Once line is put on and you use it, you will not see any issues.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Handled one at The Longfin on Sunday, felt like a big turd.

But I'm not an Accurate Fan, They look like Duncan YoYo's.

Upvote 0

Hkrob

Jun 22, 2017
Baldwin park ca
Name
Rob
Boat
Sold it
Got a chance to handle a Tern 300 this week at Island tackle seems like a quality reel. I really wanted to buy it but I already have to many reels that size.

Upvote 0

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
J&H said mid november for the Black 500X so i would assume low gear is behind that release. Does anyone have a pic of the black 400x and what it looks like?

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
J&H said mid november for the Black 500X so i would assume low gear is behind that release. Does anyone have a pic of the black 400x and what it looks like?
Yes, the low gear Tern reels will begin shipping after the TX-500X. It was always the plan to do it that way, but the high gear took us longer to build than expected. These don't show up on a pallet from overseas by the thousand, we have to build them all! Thank you all for the support and understanding through the delays. These reels are worth the wait, and we can't wait to begin shipping all models so that everyone can see for themselves.

Upvote 0

jdc946

Nov 4, 2011
Dix Hills/ New York/ USA
Name
Joe
Boat
Fishin Buddies
I got my Tern 400 6:1 and used it this past weekend.. I love it! Feels strong pulling fish with no gear noise to talk about, and It casts beautifully. You can see the difference in a sleeved vs non sleeved reel. A friend of mine who is an excellent fisherman tried it and was ready to buy it right there. He cast it so far, that I thought he broke the jig off. The lever was a little strange engaging/disengaging, but it worked itself out by the end of the day. As far as gear noise, nothing really to talk about. All stainless gears hum a little, but nothing off putting. I might even buy another in a different configuration. I'm happy that i bought it.

Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
I got my Tern 400 6:1 and used it this past weekend.. I love it! Feels strong pulling fish with no gear noise to talk about, and It casts beautifully. You can see the difference in a sleeved vs non sleeved reel. A friend of mine who is an excellent fisherman tried it and was ready to buy it right there. He cast it so far, that I thought he broke the jig off. The lever was a little strange engaging/disengaging, but it worked itself out by the end of the day. As far as gear noise, nothing really to talk about. All stainless gears hum a little, but nothing off putting. I might even buy another in a different configuration. I'm happy that i bought it.

Can you please elaborate on how or worked itself out? Was there no longer a pause before the gears engaged after you flipped the lever?

Upvote 0

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
(Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by accurate or by any company. I can only recommend what I bought with my own money to give an honest impression. )

So I received my tern 300x silver and black in the middle of October. (Have a all black 400 on pre order as well.) With the garbage weather we've been having, I finally got to use it last Wednesday. Taking it out of the box, I immediately noticed what everyone else has been speaking about with the lever feeling "weird" going in and out of freespool along with the having to turn the handle 4x to get the gears to actually engage in order to turn the spool. I didn't want to comment on this issue without getting some salt on it first.

I loaded up the reel with 20lb suffix coastal camo. I wanted this light line to use it for inshore/mid range slow pitch. Went to put it on my slow pitch rod, and the reel foot was too big. Sucks! I spoke to a rep and a smaller reel foot is available, just not in masses just yet. I haven't even bothered calling because I would rather let them focus on getting these reels out. But...I both slow pitch and go old school diamond jigging for sea bass so no biggie. I threw it on my calstar 700XLC, no problems there.

So out we went and put this little monster to use! Drag had a small range with a lot of clicks. But by the end of the day, all those clicks had a setting. The freespool, f*¢kin awesome. Extremely awesome. Very very effortless and smooth. I was tossing 2oz jigs way way out. This was underhand and found I was enjoying it so much that I was choosing alot of ground but way off the wreck. So back to cooler filling.

The retrieve was beautiful. Very smooth and effortless as well. An absolute pleasure to fish. I was fishing for black sea bass. I got porgies and a few decent sized blue fish. No crazy drag pullers but the bluefish gave me the reassurance with this reel. Little reel-Big power.

Going in and out of gear not an issue. As soon as the jig hit the bottom or the desired depth, engage the lever and reel. No skipping, no having to turn the handle three times for gears to engage. As the day progressed, it just got better and better.

So, I've had plenty of accurates before. I know that what they feel like fresh out of the box is going to feel completely different once fished. They just get better and better. Just break them in and unlock awesomeness!

Would I recommend this reel= Absolutely! It's everything I expected and I know it will continue to perform! Knowing accurates quality, customer service, & dedication to fisherman and our passion, my decision to double down and pre-order two reels was a very easy decision. I have plenty of lever drag reels but I'm a star drag guy at heart. If your interested or on the fence about getting this don't be. It's extremely well worth it!!

Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Interesting...you may change my mind... another thing I was hearing is it the clamp doesn't work too good on fat butt rods and there are no aftermarket clamps so that's a turnoff also. if I'm wrong on the clamp part by all means I'm all ears I'm listening if there's a good solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
I don't use clamps unless I'm deep dropping or tuna fishing. I don't own any deck hand rods to try for you. I'm sure someone will be helpful enough to chime in and help you. But yeah, the reel is friggin great!

Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
I know somewhere here the yardage capacities are listed for braid...does anybody know what the yardage rating is for the 400 and 500 with 30 and 40 lb test straight mono

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Thanks for the schematic. It clears up some online misinformation. It does NOT have drags on each side of the spool, despite what I've read online. Neither does it have a sleeve on the spool. I'm sure it's great reel. I looks very much like an update of a classic Newell -- which is a good thing.

Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
    Jan 26, 2008
    Torrance
    Name
    Jerr
    Boat
    shit talking
    if Iam looking at the schematic correctly, the drag system is like a standard stacked drag??

but still a sweet little stardrag

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    if Iam looking at the schematic correctly, the drag system is like a standard stacked drag??

but still a sweet little stardrag

There is a drag washer (19,20) on each side of the main drive gear(24). That is their claim to difference between normal star drags.

It's all on the same key'd shaft(26) though. So, I'm wondering how it really matters. Force is Force of Course. In the Moment, it's still a Moment.

But what do I know. They make lefty so I am still very interested.

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 2, 2014
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    There is a drag washer (19,20) on each side of the main drive gear(24). That is their claim to difference between normal star drags.

It's all on the same key'd shaft(26) though. So, I'm wondering how it really matters. Force is Force of Course. In the Moment, it's still a Moment.

But what do I know. They make lefty so I am still very interested.
    To totally oversimplify, it allows for more points of contact, which allows for both a smoother drag as each point has less stress, and more drag. Similar reasons for the success as our TwinDrag reels, but a different technology to accommodate a star drag system.
    Thanks for the schematic. It clears up some online misinformation. It does NOT have drags on each side of the spool, despite what I've read online. Neither does it have a sleeve on the spool. I'm sure it's great reel. I looks very much like an update of a classic Newell -- which is a good thing.
    Yes, there has been misinformation regarding the reel having "TwinDrag." It is confusing as the TwinStarDrag functions very similar to our TwinDrag, but is on both sides of the main gear rather than the spool. We have been doing our best to change this misinformation, but have not always been successful.

As for your Newell comparison, anyone who does not take the good things Newell incorporated in their star drags either did not make their star drag right, or is lying!

Upvote 0