Accurate Fishing Reels

Drivick619

Nov 1, 2011
El Cajon Ca USA
Name
Jon
Boat
None
I sent my awesome custom little 197 to be serviced by accurate about 4 summers ago. They called me and told me that it would most likely be the last time they could do a full service of this reel due to no longer making parts or being able to acquire parts for it. With that, I decided to keep it safely in my reel case since then. Recently I took it out to go pull on some yellows. However, I noticed whether I had a fish on or I was winding in my bait, the drag pressure was decreasing. In one instance while winding on a yellow the fish turn and took off causing my reel to backlash due to having little to no drag pressure. I noticed the drag tension knob was very loose. So, I would take the reel out of gear and tighten the knob and check the drag until I got my desired # of drag. This phenomena happened at least every other time I was retrieving my bait or pulling on a fish. Im still not sure how to clearly articulate what is happening because I'm not totally sure how my tension knob is coming loose or if somehow the turning of the handle is causing the drag pressure to back off.

If i send it to accurate i'm concerned they will not be able to help the issue. Since this is the same condition I received the reel in many years ago. prior to sending it to accurate this reel was epic.
similarly i'm wondering if it's any easy fix, maybe an E clip or some sort of knob tension spring.
There is very little information on the accurate 197 reel servicing or parts list that I have been able to find. Any advice or possible diagnosis would e appriciated. Thank you.

Reactions: abj5150
Upvote 0

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    I sent my awesome custom little 197 to be serviced by accurate about 4 summers ago. They called me and told me that it would most likely be the last time they could do a full service of this reel due to no longer making parts or being able to acquire parts for it. With that, I decided to keep it safely in my reel case since then. Recently I took it out to go pull on some yellows. However, I noticed whether I had a fish on or I was winding in my bait, the drag pressure was decreasing. In one instance while winding on a yellow the fish turn and took off causing my reel to backlash due to having little to no drag pressure. I noticed the drag tension knob was very loose. So, I would take the reel out of gear and tighten the knob and check the drag until I got my desired # of drag. This phenomena happened at least every other time I was retrieving my bait or pulling on a fish. Im still not sure how to clearly articulate what is happening because I'm not totally sure how my tension knob is coming loose or if somehow the turning of the handle is causing the drag pressure to back off.

If i send it to accurate i'm concerned they will not be able to help the issue. Since this is the same condition I received the reel in many years ago. prior to sending it to accurate this reel was epic.
    similarly i'm wondering if it's any easy fix, maybe an E clip or some sort of knob tension spring.
    There is very little information on the accurate 197 reel servicing or parts list that I have been able to find. Any advice or possible diagnosis would e appriciated. Thank you.
    I am the only person left who knows and works on the old model Accurate reels. I have the only available parts for old reels and not many. Some are used. It could be that you have a tension cam "O" ring that needs replacing or more likely a bad HEX on the side plate where the tension cam and mail lever are connected to the reel. I recommend sending it to me at Accurate so I can make the proper diagnosis and let you know what is going on with your reel.

Upvote 0

Drivick619

Nov 1, 2011
    El Cajon Ca USA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    None
    I am the only person left who knows and works on the old model Accurate reels. I have the only available parts for old reels and not many. Some are used. It could be that you have a tension cam "O" ring that needs replacing or more likely a bad HEX on the side plate where the tension cam and mail lever are connected to the reel. I recommend sending it to me at Accurate so I can make the proper diagnosis and let you know what is going on with your reel.
    abj5150 thank you so much for getting back to me. I am very thankful for your assistance. How do I get this reel to you directly? I have had nothing but good things to say about your service and reels over the years. In fact I have been on 3 or 4 different accurate sponsored 5 day trips aboard the searcher with Gary Gillingham. That guy always had em hanging on the vertical jigs.

I realize this real is old (Serial Number 0000034) but would greatly appreciate any help I can get returning it back to operational if at all possible. I can send it your way tomorrow. Any special shipping address or info to make sure it gets to you? Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    abj5150 thank you so much for getting back to me. I am very thankful for your assistance. How do I get this reel to you directly? I have had nothing but good things to say about your service and reels over the years. In fact I have been on 3 or 4 different accurate sponsored 5 day trips aboard the searcher with Gary Gillingham. That guy always had em hanging on the vertical jigs.

I realize this real is old (Serial Number 0000034) but would greatly appreciate any help I can get returning it back to operational if at all possible. I can send it your way tomorrow. Any special shipping address or info to make sure it gets to you? Thanks again for your help.
    The easiest way is to print out a service form from our website www.accuratefishing.com. You can fill out the form and it contains our correct address information etc. You dont have to put Credit Card information. Put the form with your reel, box it up and ship it through whatever means is convenient for you. Most people use USPS Priority mail. Put it to my attention AL BARKER. Once I get it I will see what is going on and let you know.

Thank You
    Al Barker
    Reel Service Manager
    Accurate Fishing

Upvote 0

Drivick619

Nov 1, 2011
    El Cajon Ca USA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    None
    The easiest way is to print out a service form from our website www.accuratefishing.com. You can fill out the form and it contains our correct address information etc. You dont have to put Credit Card information. Put the form with your reel, box it up and ship it through whatever means is convenient for you. Most people use USPS Priority mail. Put it to my attention AL BARKER. Once I get it I will see what is going on and let you know.

Thank You
    Al Barker
    Reel Service Manager
    Accurate Fishing
    Thank you, it’ll be en route today.

Reactions: abj5150
    Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    Thank you

Upvote 0

abj5150

Advertiser
  • Sep 18, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Whatever I can get on
    Well, got my reel back from accurate. Great customer service as usual! I haven’t had the chance to put it to the fish but based on what I can tell it’s operating without the previously mentioned issues!

Thanks accurate! Just need to get on a boat and get fishing!
    Thank you.

Upvote 0

Latest posts