2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Think about what the extra 20 or 30 dollars would mean to the crew as it does to you. a couple of dollars is usually not a game changer.
AZBaseball nailed it for me. On my recent 1.5 day on Tomahawk the Captain and Crew worked their tails off; tough conditions after that last big ocean storm; no recent intel. Captain Mike looked everywhere, and fished us 3 hours past published trip return time trying to get everyone a fish to take home. We ended up with 21 really big BFT for 28 anglers, great job considering the conditions. I tipped a little over 30% and felt like the bargain was all mine.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Where would we be without deckhands, give them a nice tip, fish or no fish!💰💰💰

Reactions: fishboy93
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I don’t think every deckhand or crew deserve a tip all the time. For instance I have seen a crew stuff a jackpot fish for their deadhead buddy. That particular boat actually had that reputation. I googled it! I don’t particularly like it when the deckhands are fishing with their bros. to the detriment of the paying customers. I have seen a really poor effort ( in my view ) rating a boat trip to trip. How about when the deckhand chooses to cut you line when his buddy wraps you and you both have a fish on? He says 😬 oops I didn’t know you were hooked up when I was actually yelling I have a fish on! I tip accordingly. That said the boats could charge with the tip included if they believe their service and operations deserve it and let the free market decide their value.... Just a thought.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I don’t think every deckhand or crew deserve a tip all the time. For instance I have seen a crew stuff a jackpot fish for their deadhead buddy. That particular boat actually had that reputation. I googled it! I don’t particularly like it when the deckhands are fishing with their bros. to the detriment of the paying customers. I have seen a really poor effort ( in my view ) rating a boat trip to trip. How about when the deckhand chooses to cut you line when his buddy wraps you and you both have a fish on? He says 😬 oops I didn’t know you were hooked up when I was actually yelling I have a fish on! I tip accordingly. That said the boats could charge with the tip included if they believe their service and operations deserve it and let the free market decide their value.... Just a thought.
    I guess I have been lucky, all the deckies I seen in Bay Area & up North are hard working individual's!

Reactions: matt fe2o3
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I usually do around 20%, the JP when I get it. Only stiffed a crew once on a 5 day, piece of shit operation from top to bottom. Hell I tip the chick putting a donut in a bag for me. When in doubt tip, don't be a tightwad except in those rare circumstances to let them know they suck
    On a high $ trip like that 20% seems right

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    AZBaseball nailed it for me. On my recent 1.5 day on Tomahawk the Captain and Crew worked their tails off; tough conditions after that last big ocean storm; no recent intel. Captain Mike looked everywhere, and fished us 3 hours past published trip return time trying to get everyone a fish to take home. We ended up with 21 really big BFT for 28 anglers, great job considering the conditions. I tipped a little over 30% and felt like the bargain was all mine.

Rad. That is Mike LOUST driving the Tomahawk now

Came from the XL and Royal Polaris for many years. Those boats are very hard and proper with crew. Roy Rose is so on top of it. Poor crew. Great for the passenger :)

Fished a 9 day with him in 2019. He will not give up

WTG LOUST and fishers

Reactions: azbaseball

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    I hope that this is not hijacking the thread, but the thing that occasionally bugs me is the even split. On a recent trip, two of the deckhands were flat-out awful/dangerous. The rest of the crew was awesome, especially the head cook and the deckhand who worked skillfully to save one of my fish. My preference would have been to zero-tip the first two and double tip the cook and the deckhand who saved my fish. I know that side tips are against etiquette, but why should they be? I don't know the answer to my question . . . I just know that I'd rather reward the guys who really deserve it.

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Nothing wrong with shaking a guy's hand and slipping him a 50 dollar bill. I've never regretted it. Never been yelled at for doing it either. When you land a personal best and know that without the help and coaching of a crew member the event would not have happened, that might be a spot to slide dude a 50. It counts a bunch more than a 'thank you'.
    Case in point...why is the deckie in my avatar smiling ear to ear? Hint...it's not because I caught a big bull. 😉

Upvote 0

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    There shouldn't be any expectations of a tip, talented crew, great service I've tipped over 30%. Low functioning crew that are dipshits and don't know what customer service is get nothing. A mix of good and crappy crew I'll let the Captain know for whom and why I'm tipping.

• Love
    Reactions: Blackfish and KXKH
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Nothing wrong with shaking a guy's hand and slipping him a 50 dollar bill. I've never regretted it. Never been yelled at for doing it either. When you land a personal best and know that without the help and coaching of a crew member the event would not have happened, that might be a spot to slide dude a 50. It counts a bunch more than a 'thank you'.
    Case in point...why is the deckie in my avatar smiling ear to ear? Hint...it's not because I caught a big bull. Now a days $50 wouldn't even turn their head.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    I have had plenty of people slip me a side tip, that shit went straight into the stack with the rest of the side money. I would always rather get my split than to feel as though I got more than the rest of the guys. If I was on deck I felt the galley cook and Captain played as much a part in that passengers experience as I did. If i was at the wheel then I know the crew deserved it because all I did was put the boat on the fish. Trust me, the sentiment is great but when you spend more time with your crew than you do with your family it never feels right to take home more than an equal share.
    We all have bad days and sometimes our personality doesn't mesh with those around us. The fact that your asking the question means that your mind is already in the right place. There are always people that don't tip at all and there are some that are very generous.
    whenever my friends borrow gear to go on a local to 1.5 day trip and/or ask for advise before going I always tell them to tip the deckhand 20 bucks when they get onboard and let the crew know that they are completely clueless and will need some help with knots, top shots, etc. If Im with them then I can babysit and take the load off the crew. I also suggest that they start their plan for a tip at 15% and go up from there. the tip should Never be based solely off of their trip success but how they were treated and how hard the crew worked to make it successful.

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Went on a 1.5 day on the Tomahawk about a month ago, weather was horrible and Loust had to drive a TON, boat got 8 fish with a bunch lost, I had one. I tipped $80 and bought a hoodie and a shirt, I would have tipped another $20 but ran out of cash, seemed fair to me.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    3 guys, $166 each for a 1.5. How would you feel if your kid made a $166 tip working 36 hours with little sleep? Not trying to be mean, but it's best to put yourself in their shoes.
    The current schedule is not summer drive out and fish at gray, it's fish all night. If I was on that trip and walked with $300 or so in side, I'd feel ok about it. But 15-20% of the cost of the trip is customary, that goes for any charter.

I'd feel that was light.

But , anyone who has crewed more than a couple trips has been stiffed.

I once got stiffed after leadering a 1000 lb mako for a guy. Then gave his wife my slickers and "my spot" on the ride home so they wouldn't get soaked and freeze.
    I did.
    I know you have plenty of stories too🙂

Last edited:
    Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    I'd feel that was light.

But , anyone who has crewed more than a couple trips has been stiffed.

I once got stiffed after leadering a 1000 lb mako for a guy. Then gave his wife my slickers and "my spot" on the ride home so they wouldn't get soaked and freeze.
    I did.
    I know you have plenty of stories too🙂
    Oh yeah. Over the years though the stories are less and less. We know tips are a personal thing and of course an option, and truthfully as crew, we appreciate anything.
    The worst is the guy that leaves the boat with some story and claims there's a check in the mail, I'm going to the ATM, I'll be back etc.
    I'd rather have someone be honest and just not tip, compared to lying.

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    If you are right that it is just like any other day laborers, then that means they do get minimum wage. That is Federal law, and in California that minimum is something like $13 / hr. (But don't get me started on California -- they pay more than that in unemployment benefits. California is great for everyone except tax payers.)
    Deckhands are protected under California wage laws. If the business operates on federal property, they must abide by the state which they operate out of. The contracts are hourly as well, so they’re supposed to get overtime as well.

No one wants to work the overnights because the amount of work vs the reward sucks. Not people wanting unemployment. Older deckhands leave realizing they can make the same money flipping burgers someplace with half the work.

Reactions: KXKH
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I'm tired of these threads, IF you are well heeled and can tip a goodly amount, GOOD ON YOU! If you had to scrimp and save to take your trip GOOD ON YOU! I have had to make payments for a year or more to go on a trip, REMEMBER Your buying a ticket may have been the ticket that made the trip go, If not NO ONE WOULD HAVE GOT PAID! These boats and crew are not going broke, crew members wouldn't spend half a month not at home if there wasn't a payday worth it, there not just some guy off the corner. They have to have an AB card at the minimum, the boat needs then, how do they keep them? they pay them! with air fare and trip costs my next one is $7500 and that does not inclued takle. I will tip what I can, but will not be belittled for not tipping what someone else thinks I should tip. The last boat I was on I will never go on again as we had to go in the lounge one by one right up to the captain and hand over our tips, that was bullshit!

Reactions: Blackfish
    Carl
    Carl
    What is an AB card?
    What rockstar crewman is getting flown in on the boats dime out of SD?

We are talking sportboats here. Not joining a Bad Company boat for a big tournament somewhere.
    Upvote 0

pooahl

Paul
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    usually long range
    The last boat I was on I will never go on again as we had to go in the lounge one by one right up to the captain and hand over our tips, that was bullshit!
    Man up and tell him the service sucked and you're not satisfied. And explain why. This isn't putting you on the spot for tips, it's making the captain accountable for whatever happened on the boat. You can just step up and tell him what you're pissed about. But if everything was cool, you should just tip them out. These guys bust their ass most of the time, so please tip them accordingly.

Reactions: fishnfool2
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I'm tired of these threads, IF you are well heeled and can tip a goodly amount, GOOD ON YOU! If you had to scrimp and save to take your trip GOOD ON YOU! I have had to make payments for a year or more to go on a trip, REMEMBER Your buying a ticket may have been the ticket that made the trip go, If not NO ONE WOULD HAVE GOT PAID! These boats and crew are not going broke, crew members wouldn't spend half a month not at home if there wasn't a payday worth it, there not just some guy off the corner. They have to have an AB card at the minimum, the boat needs then, how do they keep them? they pay them! with air fare and trip costs my next one is $7500 and that does not inclued takle. I will tip what I can, but will not be belittled for not tipping what someone else thinks I should tip. The last boat I was on I will never go on again as we had to go in the lounge one by one right up to the captain and hand over our tips, that was bullshit!

Man up and tell him the service sucked and you're not satisfied. And explain why. This isn't putting you on the spot for tips, it's making the captain accountable for whatever happened on the boat. You can just step up and tell him what you're pissed about. But if everything was cool, you should just tip them out. These guys bust their ass most of the time, so please tip them accordingly.
    It has nothing to do with a bad trip, The last time I was on the Indy, It was a trip of a life time! First cow 209, Fishing was unbelivable! the whole day sun up to sun down if you had a hook in the water you had some kind of fish on, they did the tips discretly I gave what I could, turns out I hit the jackpot and I gave that. But there is no way I can give a $1000 bucks or anything like that, I've heard people say, 20% 50% and even tip trip cost?

Upvote 0