Dexter Outdoors

Joeusername

• Jan 23, 2018
    BUENA PARK
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Yes
    Doing a 6 person 1.5 out of San Diego in a few weeks. 60' boat, bait, rods/reels, tackle, meals, etc. Included. $5,200 total cost. I was advised a $500 tip was good...go up to $600 if trip is exceptional. Is this an acceptable amount for the tip? Feels a little light... I appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Well not exactly apples for apples, on day Salmon trip up here in SF pretty much everyone on the boats tip min 20/30 each, so that's around 600 +/- split by two to three deckhands. That's just handing the daily boat issues and fish/gear.

Filleting at dock and such is extra of course. Your trip with meals and such is more so it seems maybe a little light. However with big crowds the small crew on the salmon party boats really work their tails off - thus your advised range might be perfectly acceptable.

BUT let the trip be your guide, crew performance is not always or often ever related to abundance of fish caught. But if the service is not great or the crew is fighting/in horrible moods, then less might well be appropriate. The opposite is also true. We have had great crews mostly up here.

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    20% and add some if you want if the SERVICE is exceptional. Deckhands don't control weather or the fish .... I don't tip based on if I kill fish or not ....won't make deckhands suffer for my lack of skill, luck, or bad juju....

Upvote 0

socal53

Aug 27, 2013
    Lakewood Ca
    Name
    Chano J
    Boat
    The one available on my off day!
    I use a baseline of 20% and go up from there...your waitress at your local restaurant serves you for an hour or two...these guys bust their ass around the clock...

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    there are a lot of variable's involve. Total cost includes meals ( so the cook gets a piece of the tips) Does fish cleaning and handling become part of the all inclusive? if so than add the cost of fishing cleaning to the 20% or so and you have a good guide. Normally you would be paying for fish cleaning what 5-7 dollars per tuna or yellow tail and it goes up from there. Everyone is different. If you can afford 900 dollars for a 1.5 you can afford and additional 250-350 per person as a tip Cheers and good luck

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    $40-$100 per person depending.

Edit: Realized this is a very limited load trip? Entire boat for 6 fishers luxury six pack?

Fish a premier quality SD sport fishing boat with a long track record. The tip naturally falls into the upper range

If you honestly can not afford a respectable tip (grom, tight budget) but want to go fishing and become a life long customer. Best to be a problem free passenger and you are welcome aboard. When I was young. I could not afford a stellar tip but I was not a pain in the ass and helped fill the boat with folks that tipped heavy. Invited to please come back out. Help out when possible

Have a great trip

Last edited:

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    3 guys, $166 each for a 1.5. How would you feel if your kid made a $166 tip working 36 hours with little sleep? Not trying to be mean, but it's best to put yourself in their shoes.
    The current schedule is not summer drive out and fish at gray, it's fish all night. If I was on that trip and walked with $300 or so in side, I'd feel ok about it. But 15-20% of the cost of the trip is customary, that goes for any charter.

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
    Jul 18, 2003
    santa monica,ca.
    Name
    Mickeyfin
    Boat
    no
    I think in terms of restaurant tips. Yea, I know it's not the same but it's the best reference I can think of. So, 15% on top of what you paid for your ticket. In this case the $5200 is split 6 ways equaling $866.67 for each fisherman. 15% of that ='s a $130.05 tip. When on an exceptional trip [like an exceptional meal and service] the tip goes up accordingly. Same goes for poor service
    YMMV.
    Go get 'em
    Mick

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    20% of $5200 is $1040. 500 split 3 ways for 36 hours is a slap in the face unless service is that bad.
    By that logic $1040 split 3 ways is still a slap in the face. But doesn't the boat pay these guys anything? Are they exempt from minimum wage laws? If they are getting minimum wage, another $170 on top of that sounds pretty good to me.

screamingreel
    screamingreel
    Yes, charter fishing boat crews are exempt from overtime and minimum wage laws in CA. A daily pay rate is customary in the industry (plus tip share). Unless it has changed recently...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Tipping has become a way of life. You tip everyone. being from Brooklyn we would give the mail man, garbage men, paperboys, pizza delivery guys and the bag boy at the grocery store as he carried your bag to your car. tips. They were a regular service. The mailman and garbage truck guys were usually Christmas envelopes and a bottle of something they enjoy. Today if you get a half scoop of bait ($35) they expect a tip of 10-20 dollars that is crazy for getting bait. Why is it that the owners of the boats like the owners of the restaurants expect you to increase their profits by supplementing their workers with tips. From a time when tips were a gift of thanks it has become mandatory in todays world. I have been on boats where the captain told us that we should be giving the crew 20%, not asked or suggested but told us. I went to dinner the other day and the bill was only a couple hundred dollars. I told the young lady that I was not giving her a tip. she looked upset and understandably she did a great job. I handed her 4 20's in cash and told her this is a one time gift from me to her. She did not understand. The current tax laws tips are required to be totaled into the worker gross wages for tax deductions. A one time gift of less than 10k is not required to be recorded for tax purposes. She smiled and thanked me. Getting back to the post. A tip is not required. it is a show of gratitude of the persons service to you. Not everyone can afford a large tip. there have been times as a young parent where the cost of the trip alone I had to save for a year. But I also included at least 20% in my savings for the tip. Think about the amount of money you spent on your rods and reels, Jig, line and terminal tackle. The cost of the trip is usually less than that. if you can afford a new 400-600 dollar reel for the trip you can afford a couple hundred dollars for the crew. Lastly for the day and over night riders. The same goes for all of us. Think about what the extra 20 or 30 dollars would mean to the crew as it does to you. a couple of dollars is usually not a game changer if you are fish but it could be the car payment or rent for the crew member. Now I have heard the BS claim why does the owner just pay them more. Why because it would raise the price of the ticket to the point many would not be able to afford the trips. You are paying what 300 plus for a 1.5 day than make it 400 plus with two additional anglers for the same trip. Why because the owner has to pay taxes to the government on the additional payment. The crew members have to pay higher taxes which in turn they bring home less money to the family. An example is H&M landing adding 3.5% to each ticket. Why I do not know maybe to cover the cost of the credit card processing? But that is additional money you could have given the crew for busting their collective butts to serve you. I am out and out of breath Cheers

screamingreel
    screamingreel
    FYI: The income taxes would be the same regardless of the income source (owner or passenger tips). Just like any other job, all charter crew members (including owners) are required to report all income (including tips) on their state and federal taxes. These are the laws...unfortunately.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    By that logic $1040 split 3 ways is still a slap in the face. But doesn't the boat pay these guys anything? Are they exempt from minimum wage laws? If they are getting minimum wage, another $170 on top of that sounds pretty good to me.
    No such thing as minimum wage in Sportfishing. Crews are paid based on a 12 hour day just like any other day laborers. Average guy on deck makes $200 a day give or take . $200/24hrs is about $8 an hour. So a guy makes $300 total for a 1.5 day plus tip. Add that $170(10%) tip makes it $470/36hrs which is roughly $13 an hour to cater to the clients and make sure their experience is as flawless as possible. 20%tip makes it $540/36 which is $15 an hour... this is why the good deckhands are leaving and crews are getting harder and harder to find. A tip is always earned and always will be but when you’re spending $5000 in 36 hours to go fishing the last concern should be if you’re tipping to much but rather are you tipping to little. It’s laughable when guys complain about tipping the deckhand because unless the service sucked they earn that 20% or better tip for having to cater to and put up with the wide “variety” of people that make up the Sportfishing customer base. Just my opinion so take it as you will. I don’t mean any disrespect to those asking the question or those right on a budget but fishing isn’t a cheap hobby and if the community doesn’t take care of the good crews that are around there won’t be any left in the industry.

Reactions: NorCal Luke
    MYNomad
    MYNomad
    "this is why the good deckhands are leaving and crews are getting harder and harder to find" -- the easy solution to that is the sportboats need to pay more.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    These "tip" thread always crack me up.Always somebody telling us all how much we should tip.I have no problem tipping nothing if the situation calls for it.Rude cook,rude deckhand=small tip.Another thing,with the prices of some of these trips anymore the tip money is probably shrinking.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    These "tip" thread always crack me up.Always somebody telling us all how much we should tip.I have no problem tipping nothing if the situation calls for it.Rude cook,rude deckhand=small tip.Another thing,with the prices of some of these trips anymore the tip money is probably shrinking.
    No doubt. Some operations are charging absurd pricing for small boats.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    No such thing as minimum wage in Sportfishing. Crews are paid based on a 12 hour day just like any other day laborers.
    If you are right that it is just like any other day laborers, then that means they do get minimum wage. That is Federal law, and in California that minimum is something like $13 / hr. (But don't get me started on California -- they pay more than that in unemployment benefits. California is great for everyone except tax payers.)

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    I hate when capt , crew members tell customer how to tip them on a public forum ......Don't let these mother fuckers tell you how to tip ... Fuck em !
    The original poster asked. Nice words for the crews, thanks

Reactions: fishboy93
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    20% of $5200 is $1040. 500 split 3 ways for 36 hours is a slap in the face unless service is that bad.
    I would disagree with that. That is a suitable tip. Add their wage on top of that. Not bad for 1.5 day trip. That's over $350 tip per person if there's 3 people and $520 tip for two crew.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Tip em well, they'll probably be reeling in your fish once your arms get tired.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    there are a lot of variable's involve. Total cost includes meals ( so the cook gets a piece of the tips) Does fish cleaning and handling become part of the all inclusive? if so than add the cost of fishing cleaning to the 20% or so and you have a good guide. Normally you would be paying for fish cleaning what 5-7 dollars per tuna or yellow tail and it goes up from there. Everyone is different. If you can afford 900 dollars for a 1.5 you can afford and additional 250-350 per person as a tip Cheers and good luck
    Just a few thoughts....
    You should only pay what you are comfortable paying. It is your money and only you know what is right for you -- no one who comments knows your trip experience nor your circumstances.
    Looking back over my Long Range trips I remember a range of crew attitudes -- mostly very good / great!!! .... one just plain weird due to an off-boat situation. Many of today's LR crew have 'captain' tickets and know a lot about what they do. We should all want to keep them in the business.
    Dealing with a bunch of variably talented / skilled / impatient fishermen is no easy task .... and my respect for these professional crews grows with every trip, as has concurrently my level of tipping.
    I do know LR regulars that tip at a steady 10%, that is their choice, and they are welcomed back each year. Looking back, over my (too few) years of fishing LR, my tips started in the range of ~10%. In 2019, on a good fall trip, my respect and tips had grown to 18%.
    There is no "Right" percentage. Personal experiences and views can cause all of us to legitimately reach different conclusions. The choice is yours.
    Tight Lines

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Just a few thoughts....
    You should only pay what you are comfortable paying. It is your money and only you know what is right for you -- no one who comments knows your trip experience nor your circumstances.
    Looking back over my Long Range trips I remember a range of crew attitudes -- mostly very good / great!!! .... one just plain weird due to an off-boat situation. Many of today's LR crew have 'captain' tickets and know a lot about what they do. We should all want to keep them in the business.
    Dealing with a bunch of variably talented / skilled / impatient fishermen is no easy task .... and my respect for these professional crews grows with every trip, as has concurrently my level of tipping.
    I do know LR regulars that tip at a steady 10%, that is their choice, and they are welcomed back each year. Looking back, over my (too few) years of fishing LR, my tips started in the range of ~10%. In 2019, on a good fall trip, my respect and tips had grown to 18%.
    There is no "Right" percentage. Personal experiences and views can cause all of us to legitimately reach different conclusions. The choice is yours.
    Tight Lines
    I always tip what I feel is right,
    It’s my hard earned money,
    And over 40 years of doing it,
    I have never felt cheap doing it.

Reactions: plj46 and kevina
    Upvote 0