about fathom level wind model

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by xiaomomoyu, Jan 7, 2016.

1. xiaomomoyu

xiaomomoyu Newbie

Name:
    nemo
    Boat:
    no
    It seems that most people here like the non-levelwind model, but usually I fish in the shallow waters to get the fishes no more than 20lbs, so I think the levelwind fathom fth15lw is strong enough for me, am I right?
    And is there anybody who can give me some information about the material of fathom's levelwind? Especially the black parts of levelwind. I knew the body and sideplates are all metal, are all parts of levelwind made of metal too? Thank you!

2. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    The line guide/pawl is partially plastic, and most importantly, the Idler Gear is plastic, just like in all level-wind reels made by all manufacturers. the Idler Gear drives the level-wind mechanism, and functions something like a circuit breaker, and protects the main gears in case something jams up the level wind.
    For light and medium duty fishing, level winds are a nice convenience, but for tuna, billfish, etc, can be a liability, which is why reels made for true heavy-duty fishing do not have level wind mechanisms.

3. mike1010

mike1010 Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    The plastic idler gear will also keep your fingers from begin crushed should they get in the way of the levelwind, which happens easily if you are not used to a levelwind.

4. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    I use the Penn Squall level wind 15 for rockfish and it works great. I've also caught bigger fish with it and have had no problem with it holding up.

11109614_10203299333564160_1507869162049484796_o.jpg

5. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Nice pic Erick, thanks for the info, I was thinking the get a realiable levelwind reel for my wife, I already have the 320gti for her but want something newer and light, I was thinking on the fathom 25lw but that reel wont see much action per year and also not with big fishes, so I was thinking on getting the squall 20lw which is lighter, cheaper and still reliable for fish on the 20# mark, still not convince on one or the other, tho. money is an issue but I like the material of fathom, I have the FTH40 star drag and love it.