RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
Jul 10, 2012
Bellingham, WA
Name
Phil
Boat Name
Wellcraft 252 Coastal
Made my annual run to Westport this past weekend.
First the fishing: Friday afternoon bonked some fat coho 8-12lb, fun easy pickens 200'-240' straight west
Saturday tuna ran to 47.00, 125.00ish had a couple hits and only landed one, didn't know most were heading further south, oh well, next year...
Sunday morning coho straight west again same area. Then the trip back to Bham started early afternoon, but stopped in Aberdeen when I got flagged down with a smoking tire, never a good thing.
Pulled over and sure enough outer bearing blew off and running steel on steel. 2 year old Vortex hubs...
Was able to get a spare bearing temped on to limp to repair shop.
Now to my question. Shop says they can get a painted steel axle that is 1" shorter than current so that would work, I am hoping for galvanized, trailer is dual axle Trail-Rite Santa Ana, CA (who I think is out of biz), 90" 5,000lb axle. any suggestions on where to look that won't be custom and take a month to get?
IMG_5677.JPG
IMG_5647.JPG

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I’d call Ernie’s Trailer Repair in Olympia. Might also try EZ-Loader?

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I wish I couldn’t relate to bearing hub problems, I am constantly plagued by them. I really wish I could have floating hubs with disk brakes.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Ernies might have it, but you would probably pay less just going and buying a new trailer....
    Is he expensive? I’ve never used him, but have heard positive reviews.

Upvote 0

RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
    Jul 10, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 252 Coastal
    I’d call Ernie’s Trailer Repair in Olympia. Might also try EZ-Loader?
    Thanks will give them a call
    To get trailer to Oly I'd probably launch in Aberdeen and run boat to Westport as current trailer condition won't make it far with boat on it. Leave boat in a slip until trailer ready, might be an excuse for another shot at another tuna so I kinda like that

Upvote 0

RedRunner

Almost A Member
    Jul 15, 2016
    Stanwood
    Name
    Josh
    Boat Name
    Northwest SeaStar
    I had a similar issue last year and found the only way to get correct axle configuration was to order it from the MFG, with the dreaded wait time.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
  • Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat Name
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    Pacific Trailer here in So Cal can make that axle for you and ship it. Unfortunately the wait time on an axle at the moment was 2 months when I spoke with them recently.

Upvote 0

punted coho

• Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat Name
    Yes
    Been there, what started as wheel bearings shitting grease all over my brakes and a rusted out U- bolt became a full rebuild. I just put 3 new painted axles (and everything else) under mine and sprayed them with cold galvanized paint. Rinse and touch up sometimes and it holds up pretty well. If you can do the work yourself, I Replaced everything below the frame except wheels and hubs in a triple axle leaf sprung trailer for about 3k. Got axles, U-bolts and bearings at 6 roblees and all the suspension and brake parts from e trailer. Boat was slipped all summer so that made trailer repair much easier.

3EF5F888-9899-4452-B54E-8721C4F3C0D3.jpeg

Upvote 0

RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
    Jul 10, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 252 Coastal
    Called Ernie’s and the recommended Western Axle (in CA) who tells me fab time is only 7-10 days from order so that seems like a good option, now if I can get the shop to measure and place the order…
    Appreciate the tips

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat Name
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Airtight hubs are the answer! Never been happier, going on 3 years of trouble free and lots of saltwater launching.
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Phil..... F.F. .....I'm sick of replacing my bearing buddies every other year, and nervous about over-greasing and blowing out the seal all the time. What are these hubs you speak of? Expensive, do they have zerks, easy to install? Just curious, thanks

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat Name
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Google airtight hubs and they will come up. I don’t use the gauges just the rubber indicators. Be very precise with the install and they are amazing. If they are holding air then they aren’t getting water in… that simple. 2 seasons plus and I’m a firm bekiever

Upvote 0