I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Well???? We're ALL waiting.....

But we're not gonna beg.... so if you got something to show.... post it. Otherwise why start a thread... to beg the question?

Reactions: rexor_rn

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish

Reactions: tgorman

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
That brother is also beautiful!! Personally speaking.... that inlay has a "hypnotic" effect.... I have always loved. Even my "skirted" trolling lure selection... demonstrates my love and confidence in the iridescent shell....and its fish atttacting effect.... when well done. Good for you!

Thanks for sharing :notworthy .

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
FAT CAT..... question? When working for Yo-Zuri in the day.... they made very thinly sliced abalone shell sheets in the factory for lure use. Even using "wet" sawing techniques.... The dust from that is very toxic (cancerous). Where / how did you aquire such beautiful / flexible "inlay" material?.... If I might ask? Although the thicker end of the rod bends very little if at all.... how does the inlay hold up on the more flexible tip? Does it effect the overall action of the rod to a noticeable level compared to the standard double/triple wrap in your opinion? You know me.... "curiosity killed the cat".... lol. Thanks for sharing brother.

P.S. nice work "SouthBayKiller"!

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Purple Passion 1.jpg
Purple Passion 2.jpg

A rod that Wiseguy wrapped for me. WSB Otoliths (stones) in a Urushi.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
FAT CAT..... question? When working for Yo-Zuri in the day.... they made very thinly sliced abalone shell sheets in the factory for lure use. Even using "wet" sawing techniques.... The dust from that is very toxic (cancerous). Where / how did you aquire such beautiful / flexible "inlay" material?.... If I might ask? Although the thicker end of the rod bends very little if at all.... how does the inlay hold up on the more flexible tip? Does it effect the overall action of the rod to a noticeable level compared to the standard double/triple wrap in your opinion? You know me.... "curiosity killed the cat".... lol. Thanks for sharing brother.

P.S. nice work "SouthBayKiller"!
3M now has a veneer that is much thinner than the stuff you're mentioning. It's very user friendly. The older stuff you had to boil to soften.

It's adhesive backed and I use a heat gun to apply and it doesn't really take much heat to get it to conform to the blank. It cuts with scissors.

I don't think I'd use it on a trout rod, but it weighs nada. It won't affect the action at all (except on the trout rod).

I'm not sure I do know you, but I hope I've answered your question.

Yeah Patrick - nice work!

Here's what I did on the tips

Set of Abs 12.jpg

Reactions: sbdup

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thanks for the info....appreciate your attention to detail! I also know it takes a keen eye....

"Nefarious"....that's pretty cool as well. Many here on BD know the significance of those "bones"..... but the fishing public.... probably wonders "what the hell is that".... lol. Not lost on me though. WSB Personal bests?

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
3M now has a veneer that is much thinner than the stuff you're mentioning. It's very user friendly. The older stuff you had to boil to soften.

It's adhesive backed and I use a heat gun to apply and it doesn't really take much heat to get it to conform to the blank. It cuts with scissors.
I did not know that. I tried the old stuff that had to be boiled and swore I'd never touch it again. I'll have to try the 3M stuff. Looks amazing.

Reactions: sbdup

bigshot

Feb 4, 2013
Islamorada, Fl
Name
Maso
Boat
''UrIN"
I'm about to start on a set of 4 bent butt 80 roller rods for myself (2lime green abalone/2 natural) and 2 50 rods same theme as the white rod below.

Here are some of the abalone rods I've built over the years. Cut me some slack I built some of these like 5 years ago.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.50.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.50.25 AM.png

IMG_1165.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.52.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.52.04 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
All that beautiful "Ab"..... ALL THOSE RODS ARE AWESOME LOOKING!! Many creative rod builders here. ... and your passion is never more obvious than when you share your own rods.... With your own thread work and that abalone.

I know pictures never quite do justice to the unique opalescent angular shimmer abalone provides in full sunlight. ... but that's okay! I appreciate ALL of those posts and picts my BD brothers....great work. Thanks for sharing!

:notworthy