Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Capt Devo
Boat Name
Kristan K
AB 2109 White Sharks and Sacramento's Dirty Little Secret
I call it The Get Ready to Stop Fishing Law.

I would like to think that we all are commonsense stewards of the sea here on BD who would amongst us would ever object to another Senate Bill protecting the Great White Sharks take for example like this a 20-footer harpooned by the crew of the Heather B out of Dana Point Harbor back in 1975. Dirty little secret here was they thought they could simply sell it to Hubbs/Seaworld in San Diego, but the deal fell through, so they had to beg them to truck it away for free because the Harbor Patrol was watching to make sure that they were not going to try to dump it out in front of the harbor. Nobody loves the GWS more than we do as they feast on Sealions so why did the CA/CCA support another transparent attack on the mentality of the endangered sport fishermen I don't know?
1664380324277.jpeg

I was just 15 at the time lost in the crowd somewhere it had just puked out an Sealion.

AB 2109 The Save the White Sharks Again-Again bill goes many steps further than the laws already in place you can read these for yourselves online. What is sad is that our own CA/CCA seems to have gone along with this new law drafted by cigar chewing Sacramento Elites back in their smoke-filled offices at the state capitol. This poorly written law is a major victory for them because it was drafted so vaguely. I'll just throw two dirty little secrets out there. Starting on 2023 "anyone" that sees or is known to or think that they have seen a GWS within 1 mile of the coastline could report the sighting even if it is mistakenly a bottlenose dolphin or sealion. These sighting reports can be taken by any of the numerous agencies now involved including the Lifeguard Headquarters, DFW Tipline, Highway Patrol, MP at Camp Pendleton, Park Ranger, 911 operator or by some amateur drone operator checking out the high school girls down the beach. But most probably it will now be just another an angry trigged wokester who hates fishermen.
images

I got accidently tipped over by one of these in my Kayak at San Onofre I never went out again...

Problem on this bill is in the way in which it was stupidly drafted. Example if the authorities catch you trolling your GWS lures that you had on for Thresher, Mako and Leopard sharks you now have to pull in your chum bucket, wind in your live Stingrays bait and pull in your lines if there is a shark report nearby. For the progressive leftist their mouths full of crackers at their Sacramento wine and cheese parties this makes perfect sense as they are the trusted ones totally in touch while saving the planet another victory celebrated against the deplorable angler. Basically, the DFW is going to ticket anyone fishing Calico and Halibut nearshore where the young GWS always make their home while feeding on Sting Rays, Corbina and Perch just because someone thinks they spotted a GWS yesterday or the day before. There is no "official sighting expiration date and limit" written into this feel-good law. Expect a total ban on surf fishing down the line sooner than later totally serious.
images

What did the CA/CCA and others get for us in return for our support of this law...nothing. A law that by the way supports the premise that today's anglers have zero common sense and are" unintentionally targeting" GWS. This is just me thinking out loud but if I was the CA/CCA next time I would get something back for our support; like don't ever-ever try to mandate this same faulty and presumptive thinking with our other protected species like the Black Sea Bass, Pelicans, Garibaldi's and their favorite California Sea Lion. What's stopping them now the doors just popped wide open. I can now see this scenario, a sport boat captain announcing over the loudspeaker this "sorry gang pull up your lines again we picked up some Pelican's and Sealions" we will have to move a mile away. It's a well-documented fact that most of the reported GWS interactions land at the feet of the all-night tweaker crew on the end of the pier as they gleefully Facebook and Tweet their unintentionally and intentional GWS interactions to the world while fishing Thresher, WSB and Bat Rays while smoking cigarettes and flipping the butts over the railing.
OIP.PZljTBsC8-brd4VFE4XIpAHaGc
OIP.-BpacBCCuLKu4CknMA5Q-QHaFq

Well this really help our side...
In summery the urgency of the bill came forward because of the accessibility of the drone making everyone an official shark spotter and the gill net ban. So now we have the FAA involved with this mess what's next an Official FAA White Shark Sighting Tipline? We're in trouble gang as the same Snowflakes that heckle us on the beach with chants "You're not going to kill that are you" while you're reeling in dinner now have drones and their cellphones. There never going to stop attacking us with their un-scientific and totally emotionally woke safe the planet crisis mentalities so disappointed CA/CCA fell for this scam bill. So sad that will never be taken seriously so why give them as inch of rope to hang us with. You can find an opinion piece on new bill this right here in the BD Sound Off section.
OIP.eC9w1GQj9hijcPa-UgCbfQHaF7

And they worry about the fishermen interacting with the GWS...lol.

PS: I checked Hogan's and Fisherman's Landing and found there isn't such a thing as a White Shark Lure nor has there been.

Thanks cksea, GClev and Pecci for help lighting the flame under AB 2109 the Save the White Shark Again-Again Bill aswell.

Last edited:

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    It also says you can’t shark fish or chum within a mile of shore if there is a “known sighting” so if there’s a sign posted on the beach and you’re in your boat thresher fishing half mile off the beach you can be cited.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Well the Gov has 550 AB's to sign or not on his desk as of Monday....to do by Friday..or not.
    many will go into next year for review they said. News at 11. LOL

Reactions: Capt Devo
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    It also says you can’t shark fish or chum within a mile of shore if there is a “known sighting” so if there’s a sign posted on the beach and you’re in your boat thresher fishing half mile off the beach you can be cited.

That scenario would be a concern as the law is written but it would depend on enforcement. Say you are trolling some macs on bait-o-matics that close to the shore/pier/jetty and the DFW rolls up. Yes they could cite you if the warden was clueless about shark fishing.. For that to be upheld in court they would have to prove they made the effort to inform you of a sighting while you were out fishing. Posting signs on the beach won't cut it.

I understand the potential for an issue but think that exact scenario is not a big concern. It would not stop me from going after Threshers like I've always done.

From looking at the text of the bill it looks to target shore fishing. Would I be wrong to think this bill started because a couple idiots went after a baby white or two and posted it on TikToc? Thanks for that IDIOT!

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    That scenario would be a concern as the law is written but it would depend on enforcement. Say you are trolling some macs on bait-o-matics that close to the shore/pier/jetty and the DFW rolls up. Yes they could cite you if the warden was clueless about shark fishing.. For that to be upheld in court they would have to prove they made the effort to inform you of a sighting while you were out fishing. Posting signs on the beach won't cut it.

I understand the potential for an issue but think that exact scenario is not a big concern. It would not stop me from going after Threshers like I've always done.

From looking at the text of the bill it looks to target shore fishing. Would I be wrong to think this bill started because a couple idiots went after a baby white or two and posted it on TikToc? Thanks for that IDIOT!

This day pops in my head reading this. As I was taking pics a 6ft white shark swam between me and the boat (my son and dad are wrestling that big T along with a buddy of mine) and everything going on is technically in violation of the law.
    We had chum going to keep Mack’s around.
    We sighted a small white early on
    We had dead and live mackerel out for sharks and were within a mile of shore….

That was also a 9 fish day and no whites were hooked

F061C3CE-D1EF-4DDC-85EE-A6FAB048FA75.jpeg

Upvote 0

kenstevens1

Apr 1, 2013
    huntington beach /ca/us
    Name
    ken
    Boat Name
    none
    Just for grins. In the late 70s SeaWorld did get a very large great white corpse. My family and I. We're at SeaWorld and saw cardboard signs saying see giant shark. We followed out to back parking lot. Semi trailer split lengthwise behind plexiglass 19ft white hanging on wires. Smelled royally. When caught had 14 and 1/2 seals in it

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Just the pure volume of legislation this state passes lets you know the absolute fantasy land we live in. Making up issues, solving issues that don't exist, while the drug addled transients pilfer everything that isn't nailed down and we import more for our sober living homes.

Awesome.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    This day pops in my head reading this. As I was taking pics a 6ft white shark swam between me and the boat (my son and dad are wrestling that big T along with a buddy of mine) and everything going on is technically in violation of the law.
    We had chum going to keep Mack’s around.
    We sighted a small white early on
    We had dead and live mackerel out for sharks and were within a mile of shore….

That was also a 9 fish day and no whites were hooked

View attachment 1428545

What an awesome day! :cheers:

You obviously understand the difference in targeting Threshers. Don't do it like I used to but when it was the only real consistent big game fishery around I did it quite a bit. In all that time I don't recall any whites hooked (by anyone) when targeting Threshers.

Your info of days like that is exactly the kind of input the people that wrote 2109 and the DFW need to hear.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat Name
    skiff

Don't expect wardens, especially new ones, to even know a fraction of that book.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    What an awesome day! :cheers:

You obviously understand the difference in targeting Threshers. Don't do it like I used to but when it was the only real consistent big game fishery around I did it quite a bit. In all that time I don't recall any whites hooked (by anyone) when targeting Threshers.

Your info of days like that is exactly the kind of input the people that wrote 2109 and the DFW need to hear.
    I only know of one and he’s on that boat. Around the same area he got a 5ft mako in 50ft of water then a few days later got a small white around the same size. I’d expect a white as by catch but the mako so shallow threw us off.
    I think the white may have even been on a bottom bait he was drifting for halibut.

Upvote 0