Offshore AA bottom of the ninth 5-15

PENN
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Just got back from this morning a 1-1/2 trip aboard the AA.
Checked in with Lori around 4:15 Friday afternoon After a few beers and take out from Point Loma sea food. My self and five good fishing buddy’s jumped on the boat around 5:30. The crew loaded all our gear, once we settled in captain Brian called us into the galley to talk Safty and than fishing. The plan was to head north west and fish the same area just south of Clemente.Brian Encouraged us to get some sleep because he would start looking for fish once we arrived on the grounds eta midnight. So after a plate of some shrimp Alfredo and garlic bread I went to sleep. Around 12:30 Am I woke up to the sound of Brian on the PA he found our school of the trip. We dropped YoYo style jigs “flat falls, SK’s” to no avail. This continued for most of the night stop drop with no biters the fish wouldn’t stick with the boat. I was dropping a larger 250 gram flat fall at first.
Around 4:30 AM we found a school that was willing to play I had a smaller 160 gram glow flat fall tied onto 80 pound dropped down 200 or so feet bam I’m on along with about 8 others. Smaller grade fish probably 15-30 pounders but it was nice to have the skunk off the boat. Fish quickly moved on and we were back on the hunt. We stopped on a few more schools before the sun came up that would produce 2-3 fish per school.
Our day would kind of continue like this we found breezers, Sonar schools that would usually provide 1-3 fish and mostly caught on the slide with some sort of colt sniper 100 gram worked well. As the day went on it was clear that Katie parry was the hot ticket.
Around 2:30 we got on a decent school of those 50-60 pound fish they reacted to the chum and the boats only bait fish was taken on this stop. I sunk out a Katie Perry colt sniper from stern to bow on my tranx 500 with 80 braid to 60 floró. When I clicked it into gear to start my retrieve bam I was on. I quickly realized this wasn’t a 20 or 30 pound fish and regretted my choice of outfits long rod. After a decent 15 or 20 minute battle a nice 65 pound fish hits the deck. As the boat continues to plunk away I think we ended up catching 16 fish on this stop. I now have 2 in the box. My buddy Robert got three he was definitely the hot stick in our group. After about 20 minutes without a bite we got back on the move. I retired that colt sniper and put the long rod away. Tied the jig on my taclica 16 with 60 floro the very next stop I’m bit on the slide and made quick work of a 40 pound fish and number 3 for me by this point Robert had 5 or 6 fish and no matter what the guy’s who came with us we’re taking home a fish.
At this point in the trip the weather was picking up so was the swell we went without another bite for the rest of the afternoon. Brian said he would continue looking until we had to pull the plug at 10:30 PM. I was Delirious at this point running on 2 hours of sleep and being up all night. But stuck it out after dinner around 7:30 Brian comes on the PA and said that one of his code group boards s was on a huge school and it was wide open. He said to rig the big flat falls and heavy gear ready because bigger fish were hitting there decks. 30 minutes later we arrived I don’t remember the other boats name but both them and drained the bait tanks on this school and it went stupid wide open.
Fish ranged from 60-130 pounds and everything in between. My good buddy Carlos landed jack pot fish on this stop after being skunked all day and felling defeated. He was just having one of those days. Supper stoked for him epic battle that ended with a 135 pound fish. We definitely helped fill the boat with limits. American angler called in both the pacific queen and the searcher who were also greeted with bent rods. Amazing trip if you haven’t fished with these guys I strongly recommend you do. Excellent crew excellent food Brian fished supper hard and never gave up sorry I didn’t take any pictures phone died and was in my back pack.

4A4DD726-2E82-4701-944C-5AD46D25F223.jpeg

5FC67787-87B9-4D95-BBA1-69748B16A915.jpeg

C6A87DE3-18AD-4C97-831A-31EB817AA608.jpeg

3608FC75-4CDC-47EA-B917-4CD60B0CCE18.jpeg

F7C61343-75B3-43A9-9D0F-F3E1056D8F4A.jpeg

33108E2B-2F70-464F-B8F1-17326DDC014B.jpeg

4634362D-28B4-4ADF-8C18-5D909495750F.jpeg

Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Just got back from this morning a 1-1/2 trip aboard the AA.
Checked in with Lori around 4:15 Friday afternoon After a few beers and take out from Point Loma sea food. My self and five good fishing buddy’s jumped on the boat around 5:30. The crew loaded all our gear, once we settled in captain Brian called us into the galley to talk Safty and than fishing. The plan was to head north west and fish the same area just south of Clemente.Brian Encouraged us to get some sleep because he would start looking for fish once we arrived on the grounds eta midnight. So after a plate of some shrimp Alfredo and garlic bread I went to sleep. Around 12:30 Am I woke up to the sound of Brian on the PA he found our school of the trip. We dropped YoYo style jigs “flat falls, SK’s” to no avail. This continued for most of the night stop drop with no biters the fish wouldn’t stick with the boat. I was dropping a larger 250 gram flat fall at first.
Around 4:30 AM we found a school that was willing to play I had a smaller 160 gram glow flat fall tied onto 80 pound dropped down 200 or so feet bam I’m on along with about 8 others. Smaller grade fish probably 15-30 pounders but it was nice to have the skunk off the boat. Fish quickly moved on and we were back on the hunt. We stopped on a few more schools before the sun came up that would produce 2-3 fish per school.
Our day would kind of continue like this we found breezers, Sonar schools that would usually provide 1-3 fish and mostly caught on the slide with some sort of colt sniper 100 gram worked well. As the day went on it was clear that Katie parry was the hot ticket.
Around 2:30 we got on a decent school of those 50-60 pound fish they reacted to the chum and the boats only bait fish was taken on this stop. I sunk out a Katie Perry colt sniper from stern to bow on my tranx 500 with 80 braid to 60 floró. When I clicked it into gear to start my retrieve bam I was on. I quickly realized this wasn’t a 20 or 30 pound fish and regretted my choice of outfits long rod. After a decent 15 or 20 minute battle a nice 65 pound fish hits the deck. As the boat continues to plunk away I think we ended up catching 16 fish on this stop. I now have 2 in the box. My buddy Robert got three he was definitely the hot stick in our group. After about 20 minutes without a bite we got back on the move. I retired that colt sniper and put the long rod away. Tied the jig on my taclica 16 with 60 floro the very next stop I’m bit on the slide and made quick work of a 40 pound fish and number 3 for me by this point Robert had 5 or 6 fish and no matter what the guy’s who came with us we’re taking home a fish.
At this point in the trip the weather was picking up so was the swell we went without another bite for the rest of the afternoon. Brian said he would continue looking until we had to pull the plug at 10:30 PM. I was Delirious at this point running on 2 hours of sleep and being up all night. But stuck it out after dinner around 7:30 Brian comes on the PA and said that one of his code group boards s was on a huge school and it was wide open. He said to rig the big flat falls and heavy gear ready because bigger fish were hitting there decks. 30 minutes later we arrived I don’t remember the other boats name but both them and drained the bait tanks on this school and it went stupid wide open.
Fish ranged from 60-130 pounds and everything in between. My good buddy Carlos landed jack pot fish on this stop after being skunked all day and felling defeated. He was just having one of those days. Supper stoked for him epic battle that ended with a 135 pound fish. We definitely helped fill the boat with limits. American angler called in both the pacific queen and the searcher who were also greeted with bent rods. Amazing trip if you haven’t fished with these guys I strongly recommend you do. Excellent crew excellent food Brian fished supper hard and never gave up sorry I didn’t take any pictures phone died and was in my back pack.

View attachment 1280339

View attachment 1280367

View attachment 1280368

View attachment 1280369

View attachment 1280370

View attachment 1280371

View attachment 1280372
F56D6752-C330-4A7B-8DC2-A5E4C69585E2.jpeg
By the way I re-rigged my heavy flat falls like this rather than having split rings and assist hooks. I tied them directly to 130 pound short top shot of mono and I’ve never had a better hook to land ratio on the flat fall. I lent these flat falls to my buddies who didn’t have anything this heavy and all of them are believers.

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
View attachment 1280374By the way I re-rigged my heavy flat falls like this rather than having split rings and assist hooks. I tied them directly to 130 pound short top shot of mono and I’ve never had a better hook to land ratio on the flat fall. I lent these flat falls to my buddies who didn’t have anything this heavy and all of them are believers.
What assist's are those? Nice thinking out of the box!

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Awesome report. The AA is a hidden Gem.
It really is Brian and the guys take there fishing very seriously. If it wasn’t for Brad there Ace of a deck hand assisting with tangles I wouldn’t have had half of the fish I caught. We took Brian’s advice and casted our jigs on the down wind corner following them to the up wind corner. If we passed the bait tank with out a bite to wind up and reset. Worked like a charm great boat great crew!

Upvote 0

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
View attachment 1280374By the way I re-rigged my heavy flat falls like this rather than having split rings and assist hooks. I tied them directly to 130 pound short top shot of mono and I’ve never had a better hook to land ratio on the flat fall. I lent these flat falls to my buddies who didn’t have anything this heavy and all of them are believers.
Awesome trip and report!

Upvote 0

SDSpriggs25

Jun 8, 2020
San Diego
Name
jeff spriggs
Boat
none
I was on the PQ and pretty sure we passed the school off after we limited around 7pm. Also outer limits was in the pass off group. We never found the triple digit models but plenty of 30-60lb'ers.

Upvote 0

Latest posts