bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
Since I haven't seen any reports regarding our recent trip I will try and give a fast low down of the Ken's Custom Reels 7 day trip aboard the American Angler. 24 Passengers boarded and and we left Point Loma Saturday, Sept. 23 with Capt. Ray at the helm. Although Lori in the front office had informed us all a few days before departure that we would be heading for the Lupe, I think my fellow passengers and myself included had a glimmer of hope that plans would change and we would still be heading towards the Ridge and possibly get on some wahoo; nope, we are headed to the Lupe. I say this because every passenger still brought wahoo gear. After getting bait, and a talk by Capt. Ray, our generous and gracious trip sponsor, Ken had plenty of give aways and great raffle prizes (yes, lots prizes we could use for wahoo). Everyone won something!

I am not going to go day by day, because almost every day kind of played out the same. We arrived about 2:30 at Guadalupe and anchored up. Bites were happening but sharks were right on cue and were getting what seemed like 2 of every 3 fish hooked. This was the same scene pretty much Sunday through Wednesday. The only day we didn't see as many sharks was on Thursday, and ironically that was the day we had less hook ups.
Mornings were spent getting nice yellow tail. I think the AA reports were 18 to 40#, however the majority seemed like they were pushing 25# and up. Nevertheless,they were all quality YT. You should check out the AA website and see the 80.5# YT caught by Kristyn (By the way she also caught a 178# YFT as well).
On Thursday night we headed back towards Ensenada and on Friday we stopped on a few kelp paddys for some dodos and few more small YFT.

YFT all averaged 100# or more and I would say that's being conservative. Lots of sharks and as I said earlier, it seemed that for every 3 hooked, 2 were taken. We started fishing on anchor about noon or a little later until about 7 in the evening. I can't tell you how many total YFT we got but EVERYONE got a trophy tuna!
No night bites but we did make bait.
YT bite from about 6 or 7 until 11 or 12. Nothing wide open but I think everyone got at least 5 quality YT if not more.
2 wahoo were caught; one on the troll and one fly lined sardine.
2 black sea bass were caught and successfully released.
Lost of quality calico bass, also released.
Awesome to see the great white sharks... some pretty scary too.
Boat was great, crew worked hard to try and save every fish hooked. Capt. Ray did a great job of putting us on fish as we were able to stay anchored in one place almost the whole day with fish hanging.
For YFT I used a Calstar 775 XH with a Talica 16 (80 lb. spectra and a 60 lb. fluoro top shot). Fly lined YT I used a UC Centaur with a Talica 25 (100 lb. spectra and a 80 lb. fluoro top shot). I did use heavy gear for the dropper loop as well.

Last thought... there were 3 of us in my group that signed up on this trip having never fished this boat or with this group. My first impression when I boarded was that there were a lot of regulars. From the very moment we boarded and started gearing up everyone and especially the regulars all made us newbies feel welcomed and were ready to help us out and answer any questions that we might have had. This same camaraderie played out throughout the entire trip as anglers were handing off rods to others who haven't caught, or passing along information and instructions on techniques. Everyone worked together, cheered for each other, and felt each other's pain when a fish was lost. It was a good trip and a great classy group of anglers and boat!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2015
Denver, CO
Name
Don Amboyer
Boat
Nina Eva
I was on the trip too. Couldn't have written a better trip report. The entire crew (Ray, Justin, Rocco, Brad, David, Josh and Jordan) were exceptional. Great camaraderie and fellowship with everyone working together.

Guadalupe is a very special place - even better with giant schools of giant jumping tuna around the boat. I've definitely seen enough white sharks to last me awhile... losing a trophy tuna at color multiple times is a painful experience. But it makes landing one through the sharks that much sweeter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
Yellowtail were either flylined sardines or dropper loop using mackerel we caught early that morning or the night before after dinner. Sometimes on the larger scads too. Dropper loop vs. flylined sardine was about equal.
YFT were almost all flylined sardine. I think we went through 3 or 4 kite rotatiins the whole trip with only one successful landing of a tuna.
I used 3/O circle hooks for the tuna and a 5/O circle hook for YT.

Reactions: terryc.
Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Love that boat and crew. Glad you guys had a good trip. I think Guadalupe might have been the right choice. Excel just got back from a 10 day to the Ridge and had a tough trip.

Reactions: terryc. and bkaz
    Upvote 0

Mike Barrera

Feb 25, 2014
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike B
    Boat
    None
    Nice write up, and sorry I missed this one - had to pull out 2 weeks before due to work (Thanks to Lori for finding a replacement for my spot). Good to see David working on the boat again! Hope to fish with you guys soon.

Reactions: bkaz
    Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
    Jul 30, 2015
    Novato, CA
    Name
    BKAZ
    Boat
    None
    I started with 60 lb. and just stuck with it since it seemed to work for me. I also had a sliding sinker rigged on my 80 lb. YT outfit and was too lazy to switch out so that remained my YT gear. Others were catching on 80 lb. though.

Reactions: sitonmyface
    Upvote 0