Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Finally home unpacked, gear cleaned and put away and caught up on quality time with the wife, boys and dogs and can post a quick report.

Overall we had a really solid trip with great variety and everyone getting the chance to catch a trophy size yellowtail, wahoo or YFT if they put the time in on the rail. Can’t ask for more then that on a late season 10-Day.

We hit the ridge for YFT in the 20-40lb grade, some solid night time yellowtail fishing on the dropper loop and then moved to the Rocks for wahoo and then finally the last two days at the Lupe for a chance for folks to catch one over 100lbs. We ended up with all the smaller yft you could want and 54 wahoo for two days of effort with everyone at least getting one to take home. The Lupe was tough and you had to work for your bites but we were able to pull 3 over 100lbs and several in the 80lb to 100lb class.

For the smaller YFT anything you threw worked, the challenge was getting through the skip Jack and smaller fish. 30lb top shots and a 1/0 hook worked very well especially for folks that could cast a bait.

Wahoo was tough with only a few troll fish and most coming on straight tied heavy fluorocarbon leaders. We had some from KK Pono that worked great with a 2/0 circle hook and a butt hooked bait. I caught 2 on bait and then switched to throwing a Salas 6x jr in green and pink (Army Fag I’m told is the combo) tied to a 120lb F/C leader and put 6 more on the boat for 8 for the trip. They weren’t hitting the big 6x at all and only a couple were caught on Raider jigs. I made the change to the 6x Jr from the big 6x because a friend on the trip (Minnesota Joe) got bit off 3 times on the sink on Jr’s.

The Lupe was what it can be sometimes, a lesson in putting your time in, changing baits and learning some hard lessons. I started fishing 50lb the first day and lost the two fish I hooked to breaks. The second one was a bummer because it was a good fish that I was on for a long time on the bow and thought I had finally broke it when it chewed me off right as I had him coming up and giving some ground. We’d been full tug of war for a while up to that point. I had my Mak 10 at 18lbs at strike and was past that and palming the spool for a long time. Sometimes the fish just wins. Day two was much better as I changed to 60lb and my Mak 15T and GP 80 Terminator and went 2-2 on an 80lb and then one just over 100lbs which ended up 3rd place in the JP. That combo is ideal for the Lupe and that grade of fish.

Another great trip with Ray and the AA gang and a solid group of people. They whole AA operation is hands down to this guy best in the fleet. Signed up again for next year and already looking forward to it

2D54AEB9-5635-4A35-89E1-CA24C8736FBF.jpeg

E0723B9E-B0D1-40EB-8626-0C1AD4886657.jpeg

C489542C-C86A-4670-967A-6801A803FCF2.jpeg

5FDE06DA-3F66-49A3-B074-02860D3EF466.jpeg

890EA602-BF8B-49C8-A865-AA8C791163DE.jpeg

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Can't all be giants brother... and nice job being alert on the skinny jig pick. Many times others get so wrapped up in the moment.... they forget to use one of their greatest angling skills..... observation. Great post....good picts.... AND you got to do the LUPE for a few days. Good for you Brother.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Can't all be giants brother... and nice job being alert on the skinny jig pick. Many times others get so wrapped up in the moment.... they forget to use one of their greatest angling skills..... observation. Great post....good picts.... AND you got to do the LUPE for a few days. Good for you Brother.
    You can observe a lot by watching... Definitely important and something I fall prey to NOT doing when I'm too caught up in fishing.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Thanks for the report, Dan, sounds like you did great. Is this the color Salas you're referring to?
    Salas.jpg

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    okie man
    okie man
    Army fag! The politically correct police are gonna foam on that one! Lmao
    Upvote 0
    FishRock
    FishRock
    I think the PC name would be Army Pride.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report/info/pics Dan. NICE FISH all.
    Yeah one thing about Tuna, Wahoo, YT...
    they all pretty much taste the same. LOL
    Glad you all had a great time, good trip.

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Chelsea Rae
    Nice report Dan.....I remember telling my boys when I took them Long Range on the AA with Brian, Sam, Ray and Taro that their fishing ability and knowledge would go through the roof but there was a trick to it....."You both need to be long on eyes and ears and short on mouth.....ask questions about what you see and hear and learn.....you'll be better for it"
    The only thing I really know is that I don't know much and everyday on the water is a learning experience and I learn something new or appriciate something everyday.....that's fishing ;)

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Nice report Dan.....I remember telling my boys when I took them Long Range on the AA with Brian, Sam, Ray and Taro that their fishing ability and knowledge would go through the roof but there was a trick to it....."You both need to be long on eyes and ears and short on mouth.....ask questions about what you see and hear and learn.....you'll be better for it"
    The only thing I really know is that I don't know much and everyday on the water is a learning experience and I learn something new or appriciate something everyday.....that's fishing ;)
    Yep, great advice. Ray gave one of the best speeches I’ve heard on our way down on what the plan was and the guys had been seeing on the other boats. The fish are there you just have to work and give yourself opportunities and fish for bites especially wahoo fishing and at the Lupe. Put your time in on the rail and watch and if you see someone getting more bites ask what they’re doing and make a change.

For me it was listening and collar hooking baits vs butt hooking at the Lupe which is what I normally do. I think it really made a difference. I was not good at collar hooking baits going into this trip but I’m much better now……

Upvote 0

Latest posts