Saltwater A10 unicorn

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
No just clean at home. I should probably do that but I always forget the container for eggs in case of a female.
you don't have to gut it on the water, though it's nice to. It chills faster afterwards. But you'll find a much higher quality of meat if you bonk and bleed immediately. Though....you caught a 22+#'er today! You can do whatever the hell you want. :)

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
No just clean at home. I should probably do that but I always forget the container for eggs in case of a female.
He was asking if you cut your fishes gills after catching? The side we see is not cut. I think most everyone does it so would be very curious to hear why someone did not do it. I also clean my fish after bleeding but I have no interest in the eggs.

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
you don't have to gut it on the water, though it's nice to. It chills faster afterwards. But you'll find a much higher quality of meat if you bonk and bleed immediately. Though....you caught a 22+#'er today! You can do whatever the hell you want. :)
Plus my scale is at home. I need every single ounce to count. 😂

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
He was asking if you cut your fishes gills after catching? The side we see is not cut. I think most everyone does it so would be very curious to hear why someone did not do it. I also clean my fish after bleeding but I have no interest in the eggs.
I’m not sure what cutting the gills means. I’m assuming that’s to bleed out? Is the meat better that way?

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
I’m not sure what cutting the gills means. I’m assuming that’s to bleed out? Is the meat better that way?
Yes....A good set of kitchen shears work great and alot safer than hacking away at gills with a knife when you fingers are near. Then right on ice. You get a X2 better product....

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Yes....A good set of kitchen shears work great and alot safer than hacking away at gills with a knife when you fingers are near. Then right on ice. You get a X2 better product....
Thank you. I’m still pretty new at this so learning new things all the time. Appreciate all the advice from the veterans!

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Nice black mouth fatty! Always get the deck dirty! It's tastes better that way.

Screenshot_20210702-105401_Gallery.jpg

boguePogie
boguePogie
How do you tell a large BM from an adult ocean fish returning to spawn? I killed a large fish today -- had eggs, but was silver & purple. Either a BM, or fresh ocean fish?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
My usual approach is bonk and bleed right away (since the beating heart helps you bleed) but I generally don't gut on the boat unless it's a pink. Straight into the kill bag filled with with ice, and if it's a pink I pack some ice into the body cavity too.
Edit: and +1 on shears for cutting the gills, I keep some on board for this very purpose... Easy to stick yourself trying to cut gills in a rolling boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Yes, if you want to go barbarian style just rip them out with your hand. Then put them in a bucket of water or fishwell and let them bleed for 10 minutes before putting them on ice in the cooler. The more blood you get out the better quality of meat especially when frozen. If you wanted to go next level you would cut off the head and use a saltwater spray on the artery along the spine to do a complete blood flush. I have never done this but watched a couple YouTube’s on it.

Upvote 0

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
EB has sucked the last couple years. Someone has been out in their boats mopping up some fish with nets just don't know where to look to find out who it was. Ceremonial just before we get a shot I suppose. I remember when it was great and the line of boat trailers was all the way to Salty's.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Thank you. I’m still pretty new at this so learning new things all the time. Appreciate all the advice from the veterans!

nice fish! no luck for us this AM - 530-800. not even a solid bite, and didn't see any nets fly amongst the armada. fish checker said only one fish - a pink - when we pulled out at 8.

Reactions: Tish
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
May I ask what you were running for a leader length? I have been hearing about people running as long as 60" this year with good success.
When using spoons leader length and test is not that big of issue. The spoons create their own action, the only reason for the flasher is extra attractant (noise, vibe, flash).

If using hootchies/flies, length and test matter alot. The higher the test and shorter the length, the more action (or dancing) your hootchie/fly will have. Whatever length, test, use fluoro...need every edge you can get....

Reactions: Tish
Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
nice fish! no luck for us this AM - 530-800. not even a solid bite, and didn't see any nets fly amongst the armada. fish checker said only one fish - a pink - when we pulled out at 8.
When I pulled out at Shilshole around 1 the checker said this was fish #8 for the day. I caught this fish a little before 8, then spent the next 4 hours trying to fill my card with a resi coho or a pink and struck out, the universe keeping my ego in check no doubt.

Also while trolling around for my coho or pink we got really socked in with fog. At one point I was hearing a fog horn that sounded really close and had my head on a swivel when a pod of orcas appeared about 200 feet off my bow, scared the absolute shit out of me for a second because they were moving fast and playing at the surface... thought they were the bow wake of something big.

Upvote 0

MA9

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2012
Seattle WA
Name
BW
Boat
Boston Whaler
Kai, your boat is big enough, bring your scale on board or buy another ($30??) if you wish to get weight.
A quick gill slash with a bait knife/rip/plies all works, and bleed out on deck/net/bucket/cooler however you prefer to keep boat clean (or not)
Not a lot of fishing time nor fish left, definitely helps to preserve your prized catch.
Looks like you're always day tripping, so no need IMO to gut/gill fish. I actually don't mind the guts in for my fillet method.

Reactions: KaiChung
Upvote 0

PHW

Nov 20, 2011
Sammamish/WA/USA
Name
Peter warren
Boat
Lund Pro Sport
You’ll all be doing your fishing,netting,striking out,gutting,icing, filleting,drinking and BSing in Area 10 only—9 is closed.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Fished the Elliot Bay opener from pre-sunrise till about 11 today. Didn't see a single net fly. We lost a nice fish close to the boat on our only bite of the outing. Dismal reports at the ramp - no fish checked in at all.

Reactions: Tish and KaiChung
Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
slowww for us this AM; bit more wind than expected too. Threw handful of pinks back (caught them everywhere), and a few smallish kings. And somehow managed to snag a large dogfish in the dorsal, 100’ up from the bottom…

Lots of us out fishing today.

Did see once decent king landed, everything else pinks. (or very small kings)

Upvote 0

PHW

Nov 20, 2011
Sammamish/WA/USA
Name
Peter warren
Boat
Lund Pro Sport
We had a good am at Richmond. Started at Jeff Head (loaded with bait) but total gong show with salad,wind,lousy current and brown water. Hit RB at 730. 80-120 on the wire in 120-160 FW. Fish only taking bait today. Small herring teaser head. Buddy’s King. Checker said Elliott Bay was SLOW.

5BD66F9E-9B16-414B-8B40-05DAAB22631C.jpeg

Upvote 0