Saltwater A10 Kings, damnit

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Had probably the most epic day today for coho in 10. 14 landed and 6 lost. Most from 6 to 8 pounds but landed a ten pounder and lost a couple of even bigger ones. Ridiculous action from 630 to 830 where we could barely get the second rod in the water before the first one was hit. Here are the 5 we kept.

View attachment 1317646
that's awesome! glad to see jeff head is putting out so many fish. :)

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
A lot slower today especially at the beginning. Nothing for first 90 minutes. First one was small and usually we would let it go but it was looking like a skunk day. Wind was blowing, rain was falling, barometric pressure was shit. But then things started picking up around 830. We ended up with 2 ten pounders, 2 eight pounders, and a couple of small ones. And still time to catch the second half.

CF10189D-A1D1-4481-9BC9-D9A2C2845B0D.jpeg

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
A lot slower today especially at the beginning. Nothing for first 90 minutes. First one was small and usually we would let it go but it was looking like a skunk day. Wind was blowing, rain was falling, barometric pressure was shit. But then things started picking up around 830. We ended up with 2 ten pounders, 2 eight pounders, and a couple of small ones. And still time to catch the second half.

View attachment 1317818
You outperformed everyone today!!! Fishchecker had 40 fish for 60 boats. I did get skunked.

Reactions: KaiChung
Upvote 0

boguePogie

Jun 15, 2021
Seattle WA
Name
Larry
Boat
Blue 1
This morning was a nice shift from the flat water I've been seeing this season. Sorted through two ~24" fish before deciding the shorter one would limit me out. Dude on the right taped in at 29".

Didn't see many nets. Y'all are putting hooks on your lures, right?

0912Hos.jpeg

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
This morning was a nice shift from the flat water I've been seeing this season. Sorted through two ~24" fish before deciding the shorter one would limit me out. Dude on the right taped in at 29".

View attachment 1317951
awesome. love to see the tupperware army getting it done!

Last edited:
Reactions: boguePogie
Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat

View attachment 1317951
Dude - I can't believe you were out there in a kayak. That was some nasty weather in the morning...

Upvote 0

WAcoueshunter

Aug 29, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boat
Montauk 150
awesome. love to see the tupperware army getting it done!
Ha, tupperware army! It has turned into an army, but I still appreciate seeing those guys catch fish, particularly when its blowing 15-20 from the north! Definitely sporty yesterday. The first 90 minutes or so were not fun, but then the next 90 minutes were really good.

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
I went out at 10 since I've got kid school drop off duties now. Usually, this is a recipe for a nice boat ride, but with high tide around 11 and being a beautiful day, I said, what the heck. Had a hit in the first minute. Another one 5 minutes later. Ended with a 7 pounder and 6 pounder and released 3 that were smaller. Finished in less than an hour. Nothing huge, but they were biting!

Reactions: Tish
Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
I went out at 10 since I've got kid school drop off duties now. Usually, this is a recipe for a nice boat ride, but with high tide around 11 and being a beautiful day, I said, what the heck. Had a hit in the first minute. Another one 5 minutes later. Ended with a 7 pounder and 6 pounder and released 3 that were smaller. Finished in less than an hour. Nothing huge, but they were biting!

Now that’s some parenting inspiration; think i’ll try it tomorrow.

(Granted when possible, with kids is always better.)

Upvote 0

firtree

• May 19, 2020
    Shilshole
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Scout Abaco 280
    I went out for a couple of hours mid-day, just south of the marina. When I got to the green can, what do I see but @KaiChung bobbing around, practicing his no-line-in-the-water trolling technique. I picked up one decent Coho hen on the way back in ~250' of water, 80' on the wire, wounded minnow lure. I honestly expected better at the tide change after the action from the past couple of days, but I guess mornings are still the time to be out.

Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    I also have kid drop-off duty, so I spent mid day putting around MA 11. Didn't see any nets flying. Tried Browns Point, Pt Defiance, and on over towards Gig Harbor. Nada. Still, a nice day to be on the water.

Upvote 0

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
    Jul 18, 2012
    W.Seattle
    Name
    Jefe'
    Boat
    1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
    Mornings are hands down the money spot. You can limit one in a half hour where kai was said to be. After 0830, let me know where to go because that green can can be scratchy from then on. The hump north west and center from the can be good in the evening. Pretty sure all the fish are at possession so go there. After the rain should be great for the final push. Wish I could get out, life sometimes has a way of slowing the roll.

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
    Newcastle/WA/USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Haha-the no line trolling technique has been awesome for catching fish. Great to see you out there. Will look for you next time. Yeah - definitely the action is a lot better in the morning. Have to really work for it later on. Still 1 for 3, isn't too bad for a noon to 2 fishing trip.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    Well I got my decks bloody this morning. :p

Dropped off my daughter at the bus stop and headed down to the boat at 9am. Was off the dock and through the harbor as quickly as possible, rod in the water at 9:29. WDFW immediately came up and asked me where I was from and how long I had been fishing. Sorry boys, just got out here. My boat is moored in the harbor.

Headed north from the harbor mouth and only intended to fish 90 minutes. Spun some circles and tried different depths, then on a turn east the rod moved. 10:15am. A nice coho on the purple haze flasher & matching hootchie. 200 FOW, 100' on the wire. 3.1 mph. Tide was super low and filling in.

Tried for another 20-30 minutes and called it. Time to head back in.

Of course this was the one day I didn't bring my fish bag with ice. Bled it in a Home Depot bucket, kept cold water on it, and got back to the dock and back to the house to process said fish. Wifey said "good, so you can stop fishing and work on the house now?" I gently corrected her flawed logic but I don't think it sunk in. 😁

So yeah, early is 'mo bettah but they're still out there later.

Tight lines!

Upvote 0

boguePogie

Jun 15, 2021
    Seattle WA
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Blue 1
    Speaking of locks, anyone know what the woman on the platform is up to? She was scanning the water around or beyond the nets w/ what looked like binocs and occasionally taking notes.

Saw tons of fish in the locks... thinking we need to be fishing harder!
    IMG_0785.jpeg

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    Speaking of locks, anyone know what the woman on the platform is up to? She was scanning the water around or beyond the nets w/ what looked like binocs and occasionally taking notes.

Saw tons of fish in the locks... thinking we need to be fishing harder!View attachment 1319598
    I think they’re documenting seal predation, I saw her scribbling notes once when a seal was going to town.

Upvote 0

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
    Newcastle/WA/USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Damn - how many of y'all are fishing in the locks? I hear that trolling through the ship canal is frowned upon. :-).

Upvote 0

DGwo

Jul 16, 2013
    WA
    Name
    Dehlan
    Boat
    TBA
    How the fish even stand a chance getting past those gill nets is beyond me. Stacked one after another, blocking 80% of the ship canal, placed directly in front of the fish ladder.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0