Saltwater A10 Coho Unicorn with Parents

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
Like many of you, my passion for fishing came from my dad. I grew up in Eastern North Carolina and spent many a days with my father on the ponds catching bream, blue gill, and catfish - usually doing more fishing than catching! Since we were pretty poor, we didn't have access to a boat, so our trips to the beach was primarily surf fishing and pier fishing for spots, croakers, and the occasional flounder and blue fish. Although these were tiny fish by this group's standards, I still had such fond memories.

Unfortunately, my dad is getting on with age and all the health issues that come with it. I haven't ever taken my father salmon fishing on my boat since the fishing tends to be early morning. And I was worried about his stability on a rocking boat. But with all of the recent success with late morning, early afternoon fishing, I decided to take dad.

We got off to a late start since he was moving about as fast as I troll for chinook. Against a strong tide. But we eventually got lines in the water at 10:30. 15 minutes later, the rod pops and I hand it off to Dad, who does a great job bringing the fish to the boat while sitting on his "fighting chair" - a Costco foldout chair. Mom handled the last 5 feet since Dad couldn't stand. Nice 7 pounder to start the day. But then it slowed down, with three kings hitting over the next 3 hours. One a pretty decent sized 4 pounder. Mom was sad to see it go. :-). Another decent coho hit around 2:00 and I handed the rod to Mom. She's pulling it in, and then decides that the rod butt hurt, so drops the rod tip and sticks the butt in the arm pit. Fish gone. I give "gentle coaching" to my mom about maintaining tension on the line.

We decided to call it a day at 2:30. And at 2:25, while my mom was talking to the ocean, telling the fish that this was their last chance to get something good to eat, another shaker hits the starboard rod. I go to clear it and while I'm doing so, my dad starts yelling. I turn around and the port rod is bent over, line peeling rapidly. I grab the rod, adjust the drag, and turn to my parents to see who wants the rod. They were both gun shy, so I ended up bringing it in. Mom does a great job netting. 30.5" and 12 pounds, 1 oz.

What a great day!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Fantastic report. Great day for you and that is a dandy hooknose. My dad also spent a number of years fishing with me in a fighting chair . In my case it was a white plastic deck chair and there were rough days at Neah Bay where we tied the chair in place and he still out fished us all. Smiling the whole time - miss the old boy. Enjoy the folks while you can Kai .

Upvote 0

Rjh20dog

Aug 17, 2012
Olympia, WA
Name
Randy
Boat
Northwest Compass 187
Like many of you, my passion for fishing came from my dad. I grew up in Eastern North Carolina and spent many a days with my father on the ponds catching bream, blue gill, and catfish - usually doing more fishing than catching! Since we were pretty poor, we didn't have access to a boat, so our trips to the beach was primarily surf fishing and pier fishing for spots, croakers, and the occasional flounder and blue fish. Although these were tiny fish by this group's standards, I still had such fond memories.

Unfortunately, my dad is getting on with age and all the health issues that come with it. I haven't ever taken my father salmon fishing on my boat since the fishing tends to be early morning. And I was worried about his stability on a rocking boat. But with all of the recent success with late morning, early afternoon fishing, I decided to take dad.

We got off to a late start since he was moving about as fast as I troll for chinook. Against a strong tide. But we eventually got lines in the water at 10:30. 15 minutes later, the rod pops and I hand it off to Dad, who does a great job bringing the fish to the boat while sitting on his "fighting chair" - a Costco foldout chair. Mom handled the last 5 feet since Dad couldn't stand. Nice 7 pounder to start the day. But then it slowed down, with three kings hitting over the next 3 hours. One a pretty decent sized 4 pounder. Mom was sad to see it go. :-). Another decent coho hit around 2:00 and I handed the rod to Mom. She's pulling it in, and then decides that the rod butt hurt, so drops the rod tip and sticks the butt in the arm pit. Fish gone. I give "gentle coaching" to my mom about maintaining tension on the line.

We decided to call it a day at 2:30. And at 2:25, while my mom was talking to the ocean, telling the fish that this was their last chance to get something good to eat, another shaker hits the starboard rod. I go to clear it and while I'm doing so, my dad starts yelling. I turn around and the port rod is bent over, line peeling rapidly. I grab the rod, adjust the drag, and turn to my parents to see who wants the rod. They were both gun shy, so I ended up bringing it in. Mom does a great job netting. 30.5" and 12 pounds, 1 oz.

What a great day!

View attachment 1320592

View attachment 1320593

View attachment 1320594

View attachment 1320595

What a great day!

View attachment 1320592

View attachment 1320593

View attachment 1320594

View attachment 1320595
Best thing I’ve read this month. Probably this year. So awesome. Thanks for sharing this!

Upvote 0

Tish

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Damn, that is a jumbo sized coho... the look on your dad's face says it all. Nice work!

Reactions: KaiChung
Upvote 0

lazyka

Jul 23, 2012
Seattle, WA
Name
Kirk
Boat
Lazy KA lll
Nice report. I remember the last time I took my dad and mom out fishing. My dad was reeling in a 30 lbs King and towards the end said he couldn’t do it anymore. I told him he could and if not what a way to go. He got it in and straight to the couch with 2 Nitro tablets. It was pea soup fog and I was wondering if i overdid it. After 10 minutes or so of an all out bite and limited the boat of 10 people on Kings all over 30 lbs. My dad looks over at me and ask if I could pass him a Milkyway candy bar.

Last trip out of Westport they made. And the best day of King fishing I have ever had. The fish Gods we’re watching my mom and dad that day.

Upvote 0