A word of caution when shipping stuff...

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
I had the post office lose a new torium 20 hg that was shipped to me last week. The package was "delivered" on Friday but i went and they couldn't find it. The shipper didn't insure it either. They went thru the entire post office and i went back 3 days in a row to see if it turned up..disappointed each time..so I thought i was shit out of luck. But today I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call from the Post Office saying they had my package......i noticed the label was a little torn like something got stuck to it and partially ripped off but the address was completely readable. All i know is from now on, when I have a nice reel or rod sent to me, I'm going to make sure it is sent fully insured and if its of significant value...with signature confirmation, even though i have a PO box. I've sent many items through the postal service...and its usually fine, but when things don't go smoothly, it can really suck.

Last month i sent out some line to some guy...sent first class w.delivery confirmation. Well, i get an email from the guy saying he never got his line. I look at the tracking # and it says "out for delivery" and it has remained that way ever since . Whether he got his line or not, i wont know for sure, but since it was an ebay deal, i was out the price of the line...plus postage, plus ebay fees...all because i think a postal employee didn't scan the delivery confirmation into the system as delivered. Could not make an insurance claim because i sent it just first class...no insurance. I've sent a lot of parcels this way for low cost items...less than $50 without a problem, but when stuff like this happens, it shakes your confidence.

Sorry for the long rant...im just happy to have my new reel after this last scare, but i know a lot of guys ship high end reels, lures, line and stuff to others sometimes with just delivery confirmation to keep the shipping low. Most of the time thats perfectly fine, but you might want consider stepping up to signature confirmation and fully insuring your package especially when sending higher value items thru the post office. Please...also make sure you cover your ship to address w. Clear tape. Sometimes just a shipping label gets stuff stuck to it and it renders part of your ship to address unreadable and it ends up getting lost.

Upvote 0

em22

Almost A Member
Feb 23, 2005
oxnard
Boat
none
I think you have to have a sales receipt for the item you are insuring, in case you have to file a claim.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
I think you have to have a sales receipt for the item you are insuring, in case you have to file a claim.

Yeah i think you are right. So, far I've never filed a claim but have heard its kind of a nightmare. Anyways, i was so pissed these last few days that I've changed all bank statements and financial documents to online. I don't want to receive any mail anymore unless absolutely necessary. I've gotten other people's mail so many times at both my residence and PO boxes its FUCKING SCARY. The fact that they found my package doesn't restore confidence either. One of the reasons i got a PO box in the first place was we had a bunch of mail thieves raiding mailboxes on our street one year, and then I had a some packages stolen because the mailman left the package on top of the mailbox because it wouldn't fit, even though he/she could have easily put it over the locked front gate.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Glad you got your reel back. Learned my lesson when the post office lost my transducer I didn't insure. From now on insurance is mandatory as well as signatures, receipts, and pics whenever possible.

And to be fair I've had issues with UPS and Fed Ex too. Bottom line, cover your ass as much as possible.

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
    Apr 3, 2005
    North OC
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
    if you get the delivery confirmation its an automatic 100$ insurance and they will pay out, they will fight to not pay but in the end cut a check 6-8 weeks later. I do alot of business shipping stuff overnight and time sensitive stuff, if you overnight stuff it is guaranteed to arrive by 12pm the next day if its even 1 minute late they refund. On ever other form of shipping have confirmation its the best $1-2 you will ever pay since it covers you. Or pay a couple more bucks for the 500$ coverage just keep the receipts.

Upvote 0

vinhtran

Jul 31, 2012
    Menifee
    Name
    Vinh
    Boat
    none
    The claims process, even if there was insurance is a nightmare to go through. I forgot what I ordered in the past, but even though the seller purchased the insurance value of $300 on the item, it took 3 months, & all in all, they didn't pay for it. The item was "delivered" but nowhere to be found. They told me that it wasn't their fault if it was "stolen" after it was delivered.

I still use usps to this day, but always use signature confirmation so that if no one is home to sign for the package, someone has to physically go down to the post office to pick it up. I've also gone down to the post office & requested that each package just be left at the post office so that nothing "gets stolen" & I have to go down there with my ID to pick it up myself. It takes more time, but I haven't lost a package so far this way.

Reactions: fishe and Cy Bodden
    Upvote 0

Shorty

Are you kidding me!!?
    Mar 22, 2005
    La Mirada
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    20 Bellboy
    Always be sure to keep receipts. You can pay for 500.00 in insurance but the PO will only give you what you can PROVE it is worth. Even if they lost the package, even if you paid for the insurance, they will pay only what THEY feel it is worth without a receipt.

Reactions: Andriy Proshchenko
    Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    I have started to ship stuff to where I work. If no one is there, there is always a secure compartment they can leave it in, higher chance of some one being at work than at home when the mailman comes.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    if you get the delivery confirmation its an automatic 100$ insurance and they will pay out, they will fight to not pay but in the end cut a check 6-8 weeks later. I do alot of business shipping stuff overnight and time sensitive stuff, if you overnight stuff it is guaranteed to arrive by 12pm the next day if its even 1 minute late they refund. On ever other form of shipping have confirmation its the best $1-2 you will ever pay since it covers you. Or pay a couple more bucks for the 500$ coverage just keep the receipts.

Well, I send everything sent usps w. Delivery confirmation...even first class especially if its paid w. Paypal, but thought only priority had automatic insurance inclusive for $50 which seems like a good deal especially if you use those flat rate envelopes a lot. I did send the line w. Delivery confirmation...I'll have to look into seeing if I can get a refund for that line that was lost but I doubt it because it was sent sent with delivery confirmation but just first class without insurance. I've read that sometimes their scanners malfunction or their batteries are dead out in the field so even if they deliver the package, it still shows up as " out for delivery" which may have happened in my case...leaving open the possibility of chargeback fraud.

I did send a rod from LA to fallbrook once and was kind of shocked to find out it was actually cheaper by like $5 to ship it Express Mail than priority because Express included insurance and signature confirmation...but thats only if the distance isn't too great.

Its hard not to use the post office for little parcels because its relatively cheap compared to fedex and ups, but its a government run service with all that implies.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Always be sure to keep receipts. You can pay for 500.00 in insurance but the PO will only give you what you can PROVE it is worth. Even if they lost the package, even if you paid for the insurance, they will pay only what THEY feel it is worth without a receipt.

The thing is, lets say you find something you never use in your garage, you sell it to someone either through an auction site or a bulletin board...then you get a paypal payment that you insure it for. Well there is the paypal payment as a receipt so you would think that that would establish the value of the item...but like i said...i have never filed a claim so have no idea what the PO requires.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Glad you got your reel back. Learned my lesson when the post office lost my transducer I didn't insure. From now on insurance is mandatory as well as signatures, receipts, and pics whenever possible.

And to be fair I've had issues with UPS and Fed Ex too. Bottom line, cover your ass as much as possible.

Yeah, You and me both...i mean I was totally disappointed and bummed out this entire weekend even up to this afternoon thinking my $200+ reel had been stolen, lost, or misdelivered with no way to collect on it. Was completely shocked and surprised to get that phone call so I do give them credit for that.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    USPS has its problems for sure but so do the other guys,
    UPS destroys/ damages packages.
    FedEx it seems takes forever to get delivered...

You just have to pick the lesser of evils.....LOL

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Shorty

Are you kidding me!!?
    Mar 22, 2005
    La Mirada
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    20 Bellboy
    Yes a paypal receipt works, also a copy of the canceled check for proof of worth. I still think it's a rip off. You paid for an amount of insurance, USPS loses the package. It shouldn't matter what was in it. You should get the full amount of the insurance that you paid for automatically. Not what they decide after the fact. But it's a giant government agency, there is no one to talk to personally or call on the phone that can help you. Your claim is all done by email or letter. So you have no recourse that has any power. Hopefully you have saved the receipt and get your money back.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    The claims process, even if there was insurance is a nightmare to go through. I forgot what I ordered in the past, but even though the seller purchased the insurance value of $300 on the item, it took 3 months, & all in all, they didn't pay for it. The item was "delivered" but nowhere to be found. They told me that it wasn't their fault if it was "stolen" after it was delivered.

I still use usps to this day, but always use signature confirmation so that if no one is home to sign for the package, someone has to physically go down to the post office to pick it up. I've also gone down to the post office & requested that each package just be left at the post office so that nothing "gets stolen" & I have to go down there with my ID to pick it up myself. It takes more time, but I haven't lost a package so far this way.
    This is what has happened to me on multiple occasions......Filed complaint with PostMaster and they just laugh at you.......

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    FED EX is no better. I shipped a ATD 50 I sold via FED EX that was very well pack and some how the handle arm got bent to the extent that it would not rotate 360 degrees. After repairs I'll
    lose my ass on it.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    FED EX is no better. I shipped a ATD 50 I sold via FED EX that was very well pack and some how the handle arm got bent to the extent that it would not rotate 360 degrees. After repairs I'll
    lose my ass on it.

Thats sucks...I once shipped a rod by fedex in these heavy duty cardboard tubes i use...did the standard thing...printed out the shipping label at home...the receipt i got said it would be something like $12. Then later when I check my credit card bill, it was $36...so Im like Wtf, call up customer service and some lady tells me there is an extra fee of $24 for sending a round tube. I'm like bullshit...ive shipped in these same tubes many times in the past without this extra charge tacked on...and i have a receipt i printed out quoting me a $12 fee for the measurements and weight of the package. SO she was like well, ok this once we'll refund that fee but really you should be charged an extra fee because the tubes can roll off the conveyor then someone has to pick it up and walk it over to the other department. All i can say for them is check your credit card statements if you pay online.

Upvote 0