gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    For just the fishing info and not interested in the story. Can't give some of the important info your looking for like exact location or water temp other than way west of the 302, I was a little busy and never even looked. After the fog lifted and the sun came out the water was clear and very blue. had no problem finding kelps, the first one was empty but the next three had lots of fish on them. You could see tuna all over under the boat but wouldn't hit anything, live bait, chunked bait, tried every kind of jig I had, snipers, flat falls, laser minnows, we tried everything and no interest on all three kelps. We saw Dolphin and not a single boat, the fish are there and a shit load of micro bait. Good luck they will be ready to eat soon.

This may not be anything you haven't seen but it was a first for me.
    I have a friend, Mike, who asked if he could go when he heard I was going alone so I said sure.
    The next morning as we are leaving the dock he tells me he has only been fishing once when he was a kid. Normally I am not taking someone offshore for their first time fishing but I told Cody I would be in the 302 area for sure to give me a shout if he left the Islands, so off we went. The fog was thick just outside the jetty so I followed some guys I knew with bigger boats and radar about 3/4 of the way there and then I went west, temp break showed the water a little cleaner west of the 302. We found lots of kelps holding a lot of fish but couldn't get anything to bite. About 2 we decided we would head back and hit the kelp beds on the way home, all of a sudden I see a fin break water about 150' away and tell Mike to check it out, there is a shark. It goes down and then comes up again about 75' away and it is a big fin, Mike says it looks like it is headed this way. I'm standing in the back of the boat and mike is about in the middle and we are looking to see if we can see it again, then I see it again and told Mike to check it out, it is about 5' away from my boat and about 2' to 3' deep and I was thinking to myself that it looks like he is looking at Mike, then Mike says it is looking at him. We watch it disappear and about 5 min. later the fish are back under the boat and I tell Mike the fish are back he must be gone. All of a sudden this thing comes up from below my boat and grabs one of these fish and it looked like it swallowed it whole as it does a roll and ends up facing the boat. Again I am thinking it looks like it is starring at Mike, and Mike says it's starring at me. Then this thing charges the boat and hits the side, it comes out of the water, just the head, turns a little to it's left and then shows it's teeth like a dog when it is getting ready to bite someone, and then it turns and swims away. I was totally blown away at how agile and fast it was for such a big fish. I was so taken by it's speed and agility that I wasn't looking for things to id it by. I was thinking a Mako but he was way bigger than any Mako I had ever seen, Mike thought it was 12' I thought it was about 10. Pretty fuckin aggressive considering we were doing nothing to antagonize it, except being in his ocean. I have been around a lot of sharks before but never had one act like this... anyway I thought I would share it you.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Damn you just experienced Jaws! Do you look like Quint?

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
    Jun 2, 2015
    Name
    charlie cat
    Boat
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    No he wasn't, but he might have been pissing in his pants when that head came out of the water

Cray. You hear about that kid in Tasmania a couple weeks ago? White jumped up and ripped him out of the boat! Dad jumped in and saved him. F 'ing nuts.
    Total Aussie reply ' he was a bit banged up but was ok' hahaha. Might have been the day of his first pint

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
    Jul 30, 2012
    san diego ca 92117
    Name
    the brusier
    Boat
    21 ft stealh vip cc.
    Had a mako attack the side of my boat bout 2 miles off la jolla , Fish was crazy , Got in counted 43 teeth marks in the gelcoat . took me a week to fill and sand and fill and sand matched the color with 99 cent store nail polish mixed in with gelcoat then turned it in to my ins boat ins they paid me 426 bucks ,asked me why didint take to marine place .Told everyplace was booked up for months. That was foremost ins co . B

Upvote 0
    Jul 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sailfish 22'
    Mako's do reach 12' at least, roughly 1200lbs+ from my research 15 years ago.

Six hour chum buckets drift, had two 150-175's on board whn she bumped the boat hard without us seeing her. Bit the bucket, then the dead big bait I put out. Four hours later, touched the leader then cut it. Nose to tail estimated (stern to 3rd bow rail) at 12'. 3-4 classic back-flip jumps that I still dream about.
    No, I don't have pics - pretty busy with two guys on a 25' boat chasing her the whole time.

IMO, anythink over 200/300 is not good eats and probably a female.

Tight lines,

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    When I told my friend, no booze no drugs, he said, really? I said the ocean is a very unforgiving place, shit happens and it happens fast, if for some reason shit happens I want you on your A game not half in the bag. whatever happens is something you won't expect.
    What do you think when this happens on your first time going offshore? I haven't asked him if he wants to go again, I asked him if he had a good time and he said, yeah. I don't know, when you go fishing and catch no fish and a shark thinks your a dental hygienist and shows you their teeth... I don't know if I would call that having a good time.. I liked it, but I was about 6' away and out of reach not close enough you could have given it a kiss

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    No, take Mike out...he is a fish magnet....and, when the boat is sinking like in "Jaws", all you have to do is outswim Mike......had a 16'er almost get me while spearfishing at Church Rock, Catalina years ago...been a lover of kelp beds ever since....:)

Reactions: gonzo25
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Mushrooms are a powerful thing. Stay on land next time.

I've eaten plenty of mushrooms back in the day, no one was laughing or thought it was funny

Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    They can sniff out the greenhorns. Poor Mike is probably having nightmares about the ordeal and is thinking this is nothing like fishing for bluegill.

Glad ya made it back in one piece.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Mike's upper body above the boat looked seal-like, and any shark that has lived long enough to get to that size has learned to bump floating things that have seals on them. It was most likely a great white rather than mako. What a terrific experience! Thanks for sharing. I had a big hammerhead come out of nowhere and take my yellowfin just as the deckhand was reaching the gaff, almost had a heart attack I was so startled.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    I jumped in to cool off one afternoon in a cove in Laguna Beach, climbed back it to the boat I looked down to see a 12ft Great White swim under my skiff. I even stopped washing my hands over the side for a while after that experience.

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    I jumped in to cool off one afternoon in a cove in Laguna Beach, climbed back it to the boat I looked down to see a 12ft Great White swim under my skiff. I even stopped washing my hands over the side for a while after that experience.
    Saw a greatwhite eat a seal off one of the tanker bouys off el segundo like 30 years ago , he slid right up the side of the bouy grabbed the seal and slid right back in the water with it

Upvote 0