A Two Island road trip pays off BIG!!!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by pacificedge, Oct 25, 2010.

1. pacificedge

pacificedge Pacific Edge BD Writer

Name:
    Mark Wisch
    Boat:
    [​IMG]

It seems like almost every trip this season has had something that made it a bit more special…more out-of-the ordinary. And trust me when I say I’ve seen some amazing stuff this year (some of which will never come to print). Now this one wasn’t quite in that category…but it did wind up with an interesting twist at the end!!!

We got a very late start on a wet Friday night and never left the dock until 12:30 am on Sat…way behind schedule. Fortunately, I’ve been watching the squid fleet out at Izors when I go to the gym in the morning so we had a good chance at some local bait. Slowing down in the area I started metering quite a bit of bait but the first spot didn’t want to work…but the next one did. We slid over a huge sonar mark, dropped in the light and within minutes it was game on. The weather was so nice we didn’t even have to anchor, just drifted along as we topped off all three tanks with a beautiful grade of squish. We were done in less than a half hour.

A short strategy meeting was held on the bridge and I set a course up to the west…the west is the best!!! Although it was flat calm, the late start precluded the run to Nick so the little island was our destination. I ran the boat till we got past most of the traffic then turned over the helm to Matt as I got a much needed couple of hours. It was the perfect ride for some good sleeping, with just enough weather to make me feel at home on the sea.

The wake up call came a couple of miles from the Island. There was only one set of lights visible and it turned out they were very near our numbers from previous seasons where we had walloped the seabass. We got setup to wait out the dawn and were greeted by an awesome sunrise

[​IMG]

Sunrise from the anchorage
    And shortly thereafter Matt got bit on a dropper loop setup and caught this beauty…32# on the scale and his first this season.

[​IMG]
    Matt Yellowtail

We marked one school of seabass and got a bite that didn’t stick and then it was over. We took off to prowl around the back as there had been some recent signal and it turned out to be a good move.

[​IMG]

Around the back
    We made one drift to get the angle right, then repositioned and a short time later “old school” gets bit, I pick up the rod and was greeted with the head shakes and tell-tale quiver that had me thinking halibut…and a big one. We were ready with the bigger gaff and in the glare it was hard to see and imagine the surprise when the fish popped up vertically…jaws wide open…head completely out of the water!!!

Holy shit…this was a good one and luckily it laid out flat, slid towards the boat and Matt made a perfect gut shot and wrestled the huge flattie over the transom. A few whacks with the bat and we got it tucked away in the fish bag prior to going nuts. Only then did it sink in that this one might beat another big one I caught single-handed near 1000 Steps in Laguna a few years back. Once we got cleaned up and redeployed, I took a closer look at the size and noted that the fish was almost as long as the fish bag…WOW!!!

[​IMG]

Big Butt
    It took the two of us to hold it up and as it was, it still was hard to hold on with all the slime and the boat rolling.

[​IMG]

Oops…we lost our grip
    We got one more ten pounder then headed in to see if we could find a seabass in the rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weather left a bit to be desired fishing in the rain
    We didn’t get bit on the kelp lines and before heading out to fish a few cods we handed off some bait to my friend. I originally rigged this boat 26 years ago and it is still going strong and has even made the trip down the coast to Cabo…that’s hard core!!!

[​IMG]

We passed off some bait to a longtime friend
    Out in some deeper water, the junk was biting so good that even Dan had to get in on the action. He drops a jig and hooks a big one…so big it brought him to his knees, forced him to lay the rod on the rail and ultimately ground him down to the point where he was done and handed me the rod to be his “terminator”. Turns out the hookup was not the imagined huge ling or big yellow but only a soup fin shark…too fn funny!!!

[​IMG]

Dan…on his knees using the rail
    We made a long drift in another rain squall, cooked up some lunch and then opted to run back to Cat to finish up the day. We anchored up shallow to check for seabass but no conditions then set up deeper to see if the yellows were around. I marked a nice school while I was looking around and hooked two right away after getting the anchor down. Mike had one on for a long time that ultimately got him in a lobster trap and got away. While moving one of the rods, I get bit and wind up getting a nice one in the high twenties for a grand finale.

[​IMG]

The most amazing part of the trip came as Dan and Matt were cleaning the big halibut. There was a small orange cylinder inside the fish and it was very lucky it didn’t roll off the board!!! I’ve called the number and so far all I know is the tag belongs to PIER…more details forthcoming when available.

[​IMG]

It was a great trip and a beautiful sunset…good luck and good fishing!!!

[​IMG]

MarkW

PacificEdgeTackle.Com

2. Albacrazy

Albacrazy NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    18' Coleman
    Very nice. Be intersting to see what the hell that orange cylinder is...

Sweet report, Thanks!

3. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Another great trip on a gorgeous boat!

4. Phat Matt

Phat Matt Matt

Name:
    PhAT Matt
    Boat:
    2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
    Mark,

Huge BUTT..Congrats!

Matty

5. Horndog

Horndog Captain Experiment

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Horndog
    Great trip Mark. After hearing you on the Sunday morning radio show I couldn't wait for the pics. One of these days I'm going make the trek up there and give it a try.

6. That's some quality for sure! Nice report.

7. aloharob

aloharob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    40' Cabo Flybridge "Magellan" and 19' Boston Whaler "BobKat"
    Great trip Mark, Matt and Dan!!

8. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I am sure the cylinder is a satelite tag. They use tags inserted into the bellies of lots of big fish to track them. They also can tell when the fish has eaten because the stomach temperature changes. The real question is how it got there? Did they tag the halibut, or did it eat something that was tagged?

9. Reuben

Reuben Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Reuben
    Boat:
    Boat
    Hey Brother, if you keep hitting the gym your going to get huge and need to get a tat of an anchor on the guns for the fish holding pics! I see you working.........

Really nice flattie. Funny how a hali like that makes those big ol yellows an after thought.

10. REELKING

REELKING Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MR.CHIN
    Boat:
    THE MIGHTY VICTORY
    wow looks like it was a great trip.
    thanks for the report and pics

11. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    Very nice & congrats.

12. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    Wow! Awesome fish Mark. Congrats!

13. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Toad of a halibut!

Very nice fish Mark and great report too!

Thanks for taking the time to post up for us......

14. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Outstanding job gentlemen!!!!!!!!

15. fishpelagic

fishpelagic dan the fisherman

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    wihich ever one i'm fishing on
    nice fish

16. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Congrats fellas.

That's a donkey.

17. J Graham

J Graham Sr Chief

Name:
    INFO
    Boat:
    SAGA II
    Way to go Mark. Great photos as always. YTM

18. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Nice job, both the 'butt and the jellos. Be interesting to know more about the orange cylinder.

19. wheeler77

wheeler77 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Thats one nice flattie!!! Good fishing and nice report....:hali_olutta:

20. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Captain Dan Burns handed off a fish??? Wierd.

Congrats on the huge halibut and also on the target yellowfish. Matt looks just as tired holding that Yellowtail as he did a 250lb Yellowfin.