A trip to remember with Tails Up Offshore Fishing Charters out of Venice, Louisiana

Discussion in 'Louisiana Fishing Reports' started by alexsb812, Jul 12, 2014.

1. alexsb812

alexsb812 Newbie

Name:
    Alex Steiner
    Boat:
    The one I dream about buying every day...
    Where to begin... I flew in from Southern California mid week excited with anticipation about getting on some nice grade tuna off Louisiana. In doing my research and talking with a few friends from home they put me in touch with Donnie Jackson, the head captain of Tails Up charters. Some of my buddies went out with him a year ago and whacked em really good so I decided to go out for a day. Plus, the boat is a 35ft Contender center console with trip 300HP Yamaha four stroke engines (AKA we were going 50MPH like it was nothing so smoothly).

Captain Donnie told me he wanted to launch as early as possible so that we could catch the morning bite. We left Cyprus Cove marina at 6am with the boat fully loaded. Bait, fuel, ice, the works!

After a quick stop making some bait (pogies) to bring out to the rigs we were on our way. Captain Donnie had said he wanted to stop at a rig that was fairly close to the mouth of the Mississippi river. He has had a lot of luck on some bigger grade fish there around this time of year in the past. Only problem was that when we got there we were still in green water. Now I am from Los Angeles and fish Northern Mexico a lot. It was hard to imagine tuna would be found in green water as back west they want that open ocean cobalt blue. But Donnie had a feeling this rig was fishy.

We put out a few lines and within 3 minutes of fishing live bait I get hit! Wham- the tuna slammed my bait so hard and took off straight down. He was peeling line so fast as I gently pushed the lever in gear. I only had on my 60lb flouro so I didn't want to rush it. Long story short after about a 40 minute battle we landed this nice YFT on the deck.

Once the fish was landed we all celebrated as this was my first tuna over 100lbs. Ok time to start fishing again. Not even 5 minutes later my buddies bait gets picked up by another big boy. He was able to get it to the boat fairly quickly (about 25 minutes) for its size and it was a bit bigger that the previous one.

After landing this fish the bite shut down so we decided to go fish the rip for some Mahi-Mahi. The grass was loaded and we kept pulling up a bunch of chicken's but got a few nice ones. Then we decided to head into blue water and fish some of the rigs out there.

About mid day Captain Donnie's dad "Big Don" who happened to ride along for the trip, landed a nice YFT we estimated to be a solid 60lbs. He showed us how to fish like a pro with excellent technique and got him to the boat in no time.

Around 2pm the sun was hot, the weather was beautiful, and we were marking fish at about 100-200ft of water. We wanted to get them to come up and Donnie had a steady chum line going. I wanted one more before the day was over. I threw on a fresh hard tail and heard Captain Donnie saying they were coming up to about 60ft- then I heard that noise we all love so much. As that clicker started to sing I knew this was another good YFT. This one went straight down and we proceeded to get into a man on fish battle. Another 30 minute fight and finally color. This fish was beautiful as the sun beamed down on his shining belly I knew I would have a lot of fish to fly back to Cali.

We stopped at the grass line around 5pm to load up with some more Mahi and finally made our way home.

I have fished on a lot of boats and I am pretty picky when it comes to liking a captain and his crew. I gotta say Donnie and Tails Up Offshore Fishing Charters has a fantastic operation- both personally and professionally. From the little things like a good fillet job (they saved my belly meat for me!), to leaving bright and early or staying out late, to simply being a friendly crew with a serious love for the sport. Captain Donnie can put you on the fish as he really knows the science behind Pelagic species and what it takes every new day to find them, figure out what they are hitting, and landing them in the boat.

More than reasonable rates and great fishing knowledge make it easy for me to recommend Captain Donnie and crew for a fantastic charter experience. I don't try and help out a crew with a good review unless they put in hard work for me and they surpassed all my expectations of fishing in the South.

Check out their website and contact information below to book a trip of a lifetime:

http://tailsupoffshore.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tails-Up-Offshore-Fishing-Charters-LLC/634059653343614

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    13Bulldozer likes this.
  2. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Great report and pics! Venice rules.

3. Redweiser

Redweiser Newbie

Name:
    Red Phillips
    Boat:
    27 Contender
    2X ... Nice job Donnie.

Red Phillips

4. 13Bulldozer

13Bulldozer Newbie

Name:
    Scotty
    Boat:
    Trophy 1703 - DOWNLOAD
    Awesome , thanks for the report !!!

5. Fishalot

Fishalot Newbie

Name:
    Steve Ashoff
    Boat:
    None
    Alex, I live in Westlake Ca. and am always looking for fishing partners for both La. and PV 818-879-8800 Chris

6. michelle

michelle - Admin

Name:
    michelle
    Boat:
    submarine
    This trip looks awesome! Nice report.