A sign for the Year...Wahoo in Early June 8 day Range

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Well, if there was any doubt that the water was gonna get hot this year, the Star just got a 40lb hoo in 8 day range. Wow.

Anybody know how 10 dayers do in the fall during an El-Nino year? I don't have any experience with that one.

20140603-2014060201.jpg

Reactions: Blue Chummer

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
This is THE year to go!

I may have to go AWOL and jump on an open spot. :)

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
I'm kinda worried actually, just read the other thread about 14 and 15 dayers getting adversely effected (next winter).

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Dave, what other thread?

M

michelle

Nice fish! I love the Royal Star!!! I posted this on the BDO facebook

Michelle

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Steve, the "ElNino, whats the deal" thread. One of the reponses was saying that the warm water pushed off the cows. I'd really like someone who fished a 14+ day trip during an El Nino year to talk about what they say.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Steve, the "ElNino, whats the deal" thread. One of the reponses was saying that the warm water pushed off the cows. I'd really like someone who fished a 14+ day trip during an El Nino year to talk about what they say.
We fished the Revilla's in 85 degree water for cows, and hoos. Unless you've been there don't comment. El Nino spreads the warmer water out over a large area, and opens up good fishing on the ridge, and further south on the banks.

The negative part of EN is the fact the bait spreads out to seek cooler water, and kelp paddies disinigrate faster.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Even if there will be an El Niño this year it seems it was predicted to start later. To me this just seems to be an early warm water push from the recent hurricane.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
That's my boy Len Cunningham, very stoked for him!!!
He almost lives on the Royal Star, dedicated frequent flyer...

"06/03/14
Posted: 06:16:51

6/2/14

Much better results today; the kind in fact that define long range fishing. Steady catching on 22-35# class yellowtail all day long, with a few afternoon exotics to spice up the action, set us on course for new scenery by day's end. Opting to take the money and run, we are presently in re-bait mode taking advantage of the blessed protection of the coast in the process.

A breezy offshore forecast for the next few days dictates at least a day or two of coastal trophy yellowtail and variety fishing. Bluefin are on the back burner though. Come hell or high water we will be on the hunt the final two days offshore.

Photo today features a bona fide Royal Star/long range legend. Len Cunningham, eighty something years young, continues to practice his passion for fishing putting on a how to clinic in the process. My admiration and respect for Len, forged over at least twelve years of sharing voyages together on Royal Star, is founded in Len's adherence to old school values and manners that are sadly foreign in modern times. The many Royal Star anglers that have had the pleasure of fishing with Len know well what I speak of. And man can he fish!

Yet another testament to Len's fishing prowess today he picked off this 43 pound “skinny” on the surface iron amidst hoards of greedy yellowtail. We saw a few wahoo gliding around the outside and jumping in the mix and Len was quick to lay a jig in perfect position when the time was right. Though not the best photo today it does enough to tell the tale. One thing Len's wife Joan requested of him when he departed on this voyage was to catch her a wahoo. Check.

Tim Ekstrom

Photo Here..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ctony.clark

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
That's my boy Len Cunningham, very stoked for him!!!
He almost lives on the Royal Star, dedicated frequent flyer...

"06/03/14
Posted: 06:16:51

6/2/14

Much better results today; the kind in fact that define long range fishing. Steady catching on 22-35# class yellowtail all day long, with a few afternoon exotics to spice up the action, set us on course for new scenery by day's end. Opting to take the money and run, we are presently in re-bait mode taking advantage of the blessed protection of the coast in the process.

A breezy offshore forecast for the next few days dictates at least a day or two of coastal trophy yellowtail and variety fishing. Bluefin are on the back burner though. Come hell or high water we will be on the hunt the final two days offshore.

Photo today features a bona fide Royal Star/long range legend. Len Cunningham, eighty something years young, continues to practice his passion for fishing putting on a how to clinic in the process. My admiration and respect for Len, forged over at least twelve years of sharing voyages together on Royal Star, is founded in Len's adherence to old school values and manners that are sadly foreign in modern times. The many Royal Star anglers that have had the pleasure of fishing with Len know well what I speak of. And man can he fish!

Yet another testament to Len's fishing prowess today he picked off this 43 pound “skinny” on the surface iron amidst hoards of greedy yellowtail. We saw a few wahoo gliding around the outside and jumping in the mix and Len was quick to lay a jig in perfect position when the time was right. Though not the best photo today it does enough to tell the tale. One thing Len's wife Joan requested of him when he departed on this voyage was to catch her a wahoo. Check.

Tim Ekstrom

Photo Here..."
Len Cunningham! Of course!!
Without a doubt, the very best long range fisherman walking the planet.
He will, of course, deny it. That's just a gentleman's modesty.
I've had the pleasure of fishing with, and learning from, this man four times . . . no, I think five.
Memories of time at the rail (and he's at the rail alllll day) and long talks about techniques and strategy in the galley always come flooding back when I see that same big floppy hat.

THE best long range fisherman on the planet.
I wanted to say that again because it's 100% true.
Sadly, he'll never see this. Doesn't do the fishing boards thing.

Reactions: Slater

Slater

Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I've had the pleasure of fishing with, and learning from, this man four times . . . no, I think five.
Memories of time at the rail (and he's at the rail alllll day) and long talks about techniques and strategy in the galley always come flooding back when I see that same big floppy hat.

Met Len 20+ years ago as he was my Cornwell Tool Dealer at the shop...
Awesome guy & like you stated wealth of knowledge!
Always comes by the shop a few days before all his trips & tries to twist my arm tempting me to jump on last minute...
Then again a few days after his return & shares all the details.
Len was at the shop just the last Tuesday & he actually commented about all the early pattern situation / warm water as of lately he wouldn't be suprised if they had a shot at some wahoo.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
OK, now I see. Must not confuse fishing conditions on the Lower Banks outside Mag Bay with conditions in the "lower zone" comprised of the Buffer Zone at Clarion and the Hurricane Bank. Two different deals.

The Rooster should be fishing tomorrow morning. Let's wish them luck!

Slater

Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat

"Final image of this voyage rightly features master angler Len Cunningham who pulled off winning first and second place in the jackpot with his 69 pound bluefin and 43 pound wahoo. Granted he had some help for those timid few who didn't enter the sweepstakes but his accomplishments and accolades are still worthy of all our admiration, and are well earned. He is the man – again."

http://royalstarsportfishing.com/media/2013images/20140607-2014060601.jpg

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Yeah! The 8 day trips didn't start catching wahoo till the end of June last year. Caught me slightly unprepared.....not this year! I'm stuffed to the gills with all my favorite wahoo jigs. 3 weeks till I'm on the Rooster.....and hopefully on the Hoo!