A question for those who fly into SD.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by JoeInMN, Jul 3, 2018.

1. JoeInMN

JoeInMN Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    I figured this was a good place to ask seeing all the east coasters and other out of towners on here.

When you fly to San Diego for a long range trip, do you check your reels as baggage?

I ask because I was not going to until I was informed my Nomad large reel bag is to large for carry on. If you do bring them on as a carry on which bag are you using?

I contemplated just using a regular rolling carry on but I have to bring whatever i have on the boat. I dont want to be some jerk with a large roller bag crowding my roommate out. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Any advice would be great.

2. feeder

feeder I gaff sardines....

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Nope. I never check my reels on the plane. They ride with me.

DesotoBound likes this.
  3. JoeInMN

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    I haven't either dont want to, but I got this awesome new reel bag for 10 reels that's to big lol. What do you carry them in?

4. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Reel bags are nice, but I carry my reels in an old bowling ball bag. They all fit, and it takes up a lot less space than a reel bag. You have a ton on money invested in your reels, and if the airline should lose them, or put them on another flight to nowhere, you could be out a lot of money and not have your reels to fish with. The airlines only pay a small amount for lost luggage. Keep them with you at all times.

freegaff2 likes this.
  5. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I use a hard sided camera case like a Pelican case and carry it on the plane. I can buy new t-shirts if my clothes get lost but I really don't want to have to replace a couple of thousand dollars worth of reels.

tugasangler and freegaff2 like this.
  6. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    I carry a pretty hefty AVET bag, that I put 13-14 reels in. No problems, oh and I bought a small folding luggage dolly that makes the gate to gate transfers a breeze. Rods are shipped in advance.

7. JoeInMN

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    Im guessing you have the large avet reel bag? Its a little smaller might work, still technicaly over the carry on dimensions but very close , but i sit first class they usually dont complain if it fits. The nomad bag is awsome but its so big it might not fit, my dad got it for me as a gift because he thought it was such a beast and it is just a little to much.

8. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Have policys changed? Just to be safe for those that don't already have a bad ass reel bag. Many different types of fishing and many reading

Flown a bunch with cary on reels but international. Only once have had to check them as baggage because of the, no line on reels policy for carry on. Most airline staff don't know that policy. But some do, So make sure if you are forced to check the reels as baggage you already have a proper reel bag, fyi for some. Had to take small size reels out of a carry on backpack and put them into a checked luggage duffle bag. That had clothes for padding. 2 bent handles

But heck I could just have a wad of spectra in my pocket

The office can store empty luggage

9. offshore6

offshore6 Where's the tuna?

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    My big reels get shipped ahead via UPS in a big WFO bag (no longer available) inside a SKB case. I have shipped to the boat (Excel) c/o Fisherman's Landing and to Mike Morris (Big Fish Transport).
    My small reels get carried on in a backpack. The issue with no spectra on reels is only International. No problem for domestic flights (I have checked directly with TSA)

Rodless_Jim and ZZZZZ like this.
  10. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    used to fly with it. Better option, ship everything to Mike Morris. When he meets you at the airport he will have your stuff. He can hang onto anything you dont want on the boat as well. Mike makes it easy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Squid Sammich likes this.
  11. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    UPS it all. Reels, clothes everything.

Get on the plane with a change of clothes.

12. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17
    I fly to SD from SFO for my annual 8 day trip and carry on my reels in the Nomad reel bag. This bag fits very nicely in the overhead bins on a SW 737. The bag is perfect and it carries 8 reels incl a 30SVW. FYI I have never had any trouble w the TSA at the xray machine watching the reel bag get a good look at. Just don't stick any tools in the bag. Reels only. I also carry on a small soft side Albacore tackle box but remove hooks and lures and stick them in my check in soft wheeled canvass luggage bag. Both the reel bag and tackle box get carried on. I always do curb side check in. My SKB rod case and the luggage bag get checked in as baggage. At the moment of check in I hand the curb side guy handling my stuff a twenty and make eye contact w him and politely say "this stuff has to make it on the plane as I'm going on a fishing trip today at Noon" This seems to do the trick as so far everything has made it to SD for twenty trips so far. FYI once you get to SD it's a short 5 minute cab drive to the landing.

Jay-Hook likes this.
  13. JoeInMN

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    How do you ship it back? I am shipping my rods was gonna walk them over to the ups store and send them back, I could do the same for the reels . But clothes that's a lot to lug around and it doesn't cost me anything for bags on the plane.

14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Easy. I save the boxes. Put them under my bunk.

At the end of the trip put all your stuff back into the boxes seal them up.

I print out return labels prior to the trip.

Leave the gear in the landing and the UPS driver picks it up with his daily deliveries.

Reels go in a SKB reel tank. Rods in an SKB tube. Tackle box just lock the SKB box and ship that also.

I am lucky that I dont ship my rods and tackle box any longer - good friend keeps my rods and tackle box in CA for me.

But I ship it all.

The party starts the moment I am heading to the airport!

JoeInMN, Squid Sammich and Tim Turis like this.
  15. JoeInMN

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    That sounds much easier I will contact the Angler I'm sure they can do that, I can ship with return labels and have it picked up at the landing would make my life much easier.

16. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Like john said , ship it all . I get on the plane with a knap sack and that's it . I used to lug it all with me now I ship . so much easier and the cost is worth it for the peace of mind.

JoeInMN likes this.
  17. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Most airlines do NOT cover fishing equipment. I've had 2 rods broken, and one stolen (I think TSA couldn't get it back in the tube and just kept it). When a claim was made, they said they are NOT responsible for fishing rods. Reels, I ALWAYS carry on!. Wrap them in some of your clothes, and put them in a carry on size duffle. Let TSA know when you put them on the belt, what to expect! Sure wish someone would open up an insured gear storage facility!

JoeInMN likes this.
  18. JoeInMN

Name:
    Joseph Koep
    Boat:
    I think ill wind up shipping it all but my clothes seems the easiest.

19. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Ship them, it's the best way. Especially if you bring 10 or more reels, no way you can carry them on any more with carry-on weight/size restrictions. Get the right shipping containers for your rods and reels like JohnTFT said and ship them via UPS. Arrange for UPS return labels before your trip and ship them home via the daily UPS pickup at Fisherman's Landing. Don't forget to bring a roll of packing tape.

JoeInMN likes this.
  20. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    I like to put mine in a ziptied backpack.

I use Crown Royal bags for each reel.

Never out of site, and no 'ins or outs' once packed.

I like this technique at landing, when the wait is boring, and you know there are thieves stalking you like a wolf to sheep.