Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
So this has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now. Once I had all my permit apps in the dreams of dream hunts started their annual parade through my brain. One dream wasn't so great and left me with a puzzle tough enough that my peers who have heard this story shudder and curse me out for telling them.
So, here It Is. I dreamt myself on a ridge right behind our new camp. A place I've juusstt started to figure out the hidey holes and ambush lanes. Sure enough, as permit app season dreams go,I see shoot and kill a dandy muley buck. Vivid and sharp, in color. Man I was THERE I tell ya. The buck staggered and crashed right into a dead log and there was a God damned bald faced hornets nest in it! The little black vindictive ones that have chased me off mountains before. I woke up in a cold sweat still seeing my deer lying there and wondering just how in the HELL I'm supposed to get close enough to tag it and dress it!
Have had a few ideas, but no one has had a good one yet. So I'm asking the bruthahood.......how would you get a downed big game animal out of a swarm of hornets without getting attacked?

Upvote 0

danny warren

Almost A Member
Jun 1, 2014
Name
Danny
Boat
14ft minnow,17ft Willies driftboat
I have been in a situation when packing out an elk. Quarter up and in packs going over a bunch of down logs. I was a bit ahead of my buddy when he stepped on a bees nest then started the turtle after he tripped. We made it to him to get him on his feet. Heavy packs. We all got stung. At the time we were extremely pissed. Got to the truck and pounded benedril and beer. Now we laugh about it.

Reactions: Baby J
Upvote 0

danny warren

Almost A Member
Jun 1, 2014
Name
Danny
Boat
14ft minnow,17ft Willies driftboat
If that happened to me. I would try to lasso and drag or maybe wait for dark

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
If that happened to me. I would try to lasso and drag or maybe wait for dark
Those are the top two choices before my post. Smoke was suggested too. My drag rope I carry might???? be long enough.......maybe. After dark, well the bears would be a-ok with daring some hornets for deer. Shit, they'd just eat both!

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
A flash bang will kill them all in about a 10 foot radius.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Wait until night, the cold weather would keep them calm. SLOWLY and carefully walk up to it, and drag it down hill as fast as you can. Most don't know they have sting allergies until it happens. I would have all invlolved take some benadryl and have an epi-pen ready. My 2 cents...

Reactions: bakerj24
Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Wait until night, the cold weather would keep them calm. SLOWLY and carefully walk up to it, and drag it down hill as fast as you can. Most don't know they have sting allergies until it happens. I would have all invlolved take some benadryl and have an epi-pen ready. My 2 cents...
Bears. No way would the deer still be there. We have a cinnamon sow who has had triplets at least three times since 2015 that we know of.

Upvote 0

koorbloh

Lion hunter
Jun 16, 2010
Monroe, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Smokercraft Osprey
What's the fire danger from that in uber dry east side conditions?
Ok, so the hornets are dead and the meat is pre-smoked.

Have bear tag, will travel.

Ok, but seriously, I usually have a hood, long sleeves, and a pair of gloves and long pants. Dress up, run in and pull the critter out to a safe distance and away you go.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Ok, so the hornets are dead and the meat is pre-smoked.

Have bear tag, will travel.

Ok, but seriously, I usually have a hood, long sleeves, and a pair of gloves and long pants. Dress up, run in and pull the critter out to a safe distance and away you go.

Screw that. I'd take my shirt off and just have boots and underwear. I've seen people fall in those nests. They get under shirts and In pants and they just get to keep ravaging you.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
1. wait a bit for the bee's to calm down.
2. long sleeves, head/face covering, gloves, etc.
3. I carry a roll of electrical tape in my pack... tape up the cuffs, sleeves, waist, basically, anywhere the bee's can get under the clothing.
4. sneak in and wrap a loop of the rope I keep in my pack around a leg or two without disturbing the bees too much.
5. pull from the other end of the rope until we're away from the hive.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
Bears. No way would the deer still be there. We have a cinnamon sow who has had triplets at least three times since 2015 that we know of.
I did not say leave the kill, just wait until the it cools off, and the hornets cool down....but do make sure anyone who would go in hs no allergies or you have proper defenses. Anaphylactic shock is no joke...

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Throw a wet towel,blanket, cut up hoody or what ever you have over the nest and grab deer and get it out of there.

Reactions: Elkfins
Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
My premonition was valid I guess. I discovered a ground hornets nest right on the edge of my front walkway when I mowed the lawn this week. Yellowjackets it looks like. Didn't get zapped, but they didn't care much for the weedeater.

Reactions: koorbloh
Upvote 0

Alysium

Sep 11, 2020
Keller Washington 99140
Name
Nate
Boat
Op220
curious...

I read this one of two ways...

the Yellowjackets built a hornets nest on the ground and you whacked it up with the weedeater?

or

you found a nest in the ground and worked around it?

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
curious...

the Yellowjackets built a hornets nest on the ground and you whacked it up with the weedeater?

or

I hope he went to town on them with the weedeater like a savage. That's a man you don't mess with.

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
curious...

or

Trimmed along the edge of the walk and there was a hole in the ground that got exposed. Then there was a small cloud of angry residents around the weedeater head. I probably killed some, but backed away fast rather than tally up the dead.

Reactions: Elkfins
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
Trimmed along the edge of the walk and there was a hole in the ground that got exposed. Then there was a small cloud of angry residents around the weedeater head. I probably killed some, but backed away fast rather than tally up the dead.
You could have put that weed-eater right above the whole and massacred the whole nest as they were flying out. However, I agree attack going in reverse and live to fight another day....

Upvote 0

Alysium

Sep 11, 2020
Keller Washington 99140
Name
Nate
Boat
Op220
Worked with a guy about 10 years ago that carried an epi-pen in his lunch box. I had just got stung. His solution was simple.

1. Find hole.

2. add saw gas.

I have done this a few times over the years since. Works good. Haven’t got stung. No more bees. I usually dump 16-32oz in. I assume regular gas would work but haven’t had it available, so just speculation. For the pyros, don’t light it, according to aforementioned guy, it really pisses them off.

Upvote 0

Vek

Jan 17, 2008
Blaine
Name
Jerry
Boat
28' Almar
Back in 2006 I shared the carcass with way over 100 yellowjackets while boning my high hunt buck. We must have come to some sort of understanding because I never bothered them and they never bothered me. Tense situation regardless. They were everywhere; any time that I'd screw up and flop a cut of meat on one, he'd dust off and fly away.

The unseen baldface nest in the alders is what scares me.

Upvote 0

8Footer13

Sep 1, 2015
Oak Karbor
Name
Wendell
Boat
Seaquest 2150WA
Back in 2006 I shared the carcass with way over 100 yellowjackets while boning my high hunt buck. We must have come to some sort of understanding because I never bothered them and they never bothered me. Tense situation regardless. They were everywhere; any time that I'd screw up and flop a cut of meat on one, he'd dust off and fly away.

The unseen baldface nest in the alders is what scares me.
I had a similar experience while butchering a black bar one September. They would cut off a chunk of fat and fly off. Never bothered me. For an entertaining time setup a yellow jacket trap and watch the baldface hornets come in and catch them.

Upvote 0