A minute later would have been a minute too late

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by monster1, Aug 22, 2017.

1. monster1

monster1 Typical striper owner

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    You are exactly right. And that was my thought about getting them on my boat. They would have blamed me for their boat loss and shit could have got ugly. At that point my only option was to basically trick them into thinking I was going to tow them to port so that I could at least get them away from the rig and call the coast guard like I did or motor away from the whole mess and watch them die. I couldn't choose option two.

Haly0, hilltop and Danno like this.
  2. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Great job you went above & beyond your duty.

Over the years both AC & BD have seen losses of life on our waters. Always a sad tale and a sailors warning for all of us.

This bass boat thing on the Pacific really ercks me. I know there is a wide variety of builds, models & safety margins, but in general these designs are not the safest of choices, for Bight fishing, imho.

I think certain guys that proclaim their fishyness in offshore & nearshore waters are doing the average Joe a disservice.

We all know Brad can take his skiff to the Cortez, Tanner & Santa Rosa, but that is a 1% option with a 1% operator.

Mo Betta and bricktop27 like this.
  3. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Saving lives and catching fish, keep up the good work.

4. One Track

One Track Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Blood
    You should be very proud of yourself for saving those guys and thinking clearly. They were probably fishing inshore. Then, slammed a case of beer and a bottle of Jack and ventured outside. Clearly, they used poor judgement. They owe you, a case of beer and a bottle of jack.

bparker1225 and bricktop27 like this.
  5. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Dip shits!
    Almost dead dip shits. Its good you were at the right place at right time.

Did they have life jackets on or did they not want to get them wet?
    This weeks Darwin award!

bricktop27 likes this.
  6. monster1

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    I can't even remember if they had life jackets or not. I know they didn't have any on. I just remember all the crap floating in the water that washed off the boat. I remember the coastie on the radio telling me to tell them to put them on. That's all I remember. I thought about hitting the DSC button when I pulled up but had second thoughts as my wife is listed as a contact and she was wary if me going solo this trip. That would have scared the shit out of her being notified of my distress signal. Luckily, my new radio has built in GPS so I wouldn't have to fumble with chart screens to get the numbers. They were there on the vhf as soon as the coastie asked for them. And honestly, a rescue boat wouldn't have made it in time before the boat hit the rig.

7. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    You'll probably never hear a thank you from those guys, so I'll say it for them. Thank you for saving their lives. Also, a big thanks to the USCG for being there to finish the job. Although these guys may have made some poor decisions in a panic, I'm happy to see that their families didnt have to live with those decisions. :appl::appl::appl:

On a side note... Whats up with Monsters saving people these days. The old school monsters I remember would have let those fuckers swim with the fishes... lol. All jokes aside... You are the man!

Reel hip likes this.
  8. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Glad you were there to assist and help those guys out. They were lucky.

A lot of you guys seem to have an attitude about a bass boat being out on fairly calm day. Also about them not wanting to see their boat and gear possibly sink. Doubtful since most boat/skiffs will float even when full with water. Most likely he was begging for a tow to get his skiff out of the way of crashing into the rig.

With my aluminum skiff the drain plug is accessible from inside. If the skiff was filled up with water and I was lucky enough to be pulled forward at about 5 knots, the drain plug can be removed and the water would evacuate, NOT come in.

Who knows what happened? Maybe the bait pump hose came disconnected and pumped water into the skiff. Drain plug possibly came out. The water may have prevented the skiff from starting if it was shorted. Could be a multitude of possibilities. A little time to figure it out may have been all that was needed, maybe not. I would be great entertainment to hear the other side of the story.

When a vessel is dead in the water any of you small crafts are vulnerable. How many of you guys are running two motors? Who has a sea anchor? Portable floating radio? Inflatable raft? Dry bag with food and water, flares and lights? Portable bilge pump? 25+ years experience with your own boat?

I think I will carry a 100' rope so I scan throw it out to another vessel. I do have my anchor rope, now I'm thinking another may come in handy.

Safe boating guys.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    monster1 likes this.
  9. dannykl1957

dannykl1957 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Monster, you have earned yourself some seriously good karma from your rescue on Sunday. You were very correct in your suggestions and actions. Those poor fools hopefully learned a very important lesson "life is prescious,boats are not."
    Your next fishing trip should produce insane results if the fishing gods have any decency.
    My respects,
    Dan

10. hotrail20

hotrail20 Intrepid 200 LB Club

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Yours
    We saw you Sunday, as well as those guys when we passed them they Never asked for Help or said anything to us. It was nasty afternoon that day, Bass boats are not for the ocean Glad you were able to help them out and you are okay as well

monster1 likes this.
  11. carterantebi

carterantebi I hate fishing

Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Pacific Queen!
    They didn't have a radio I'm guessing?

12. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Never tie a floating boat to a sinking one.

13. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Good job! This is what we supposed to do and you did it! Provide assistance to boaters in need. As far as I see you had no option but to tie to them and move them.

14. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Situations where you lose power and are floating towards the rocks or, in this case, an oil rig, are dangerous on any boat. In this case, and in most cases with rocks, however, you can drop anchor on a larger boat, and call either the coast guard or boat assist, and be on your way.

But that's only possible because I know this particular oil rig is in shallow water. Most of our oil rigs are in deep water, where it is impossible to anchor, and for this reason the oil rigs off our coast are much more dangerous than people give them credit for. Should you lose power next to one and the current is strong, you may well have to abandon your boat, similar to what you'd have to do should you lose power while in front of a cargo ship.

To survive such situations, it is required to have: 1. a working radio and EPIRB, 2. life vests, and 3. basic swimming skills. Many people go out without one of these, or even all three. They never think about what could happen, and that gets us into the whole issue with not giving respect to the ocean.

15. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    The "Rescuer" makes up the rules....not the "Rescuee".

16. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Nice work, being there for those guys that hedged a futile bet that day in that "craft".......ay ay ay. Good on you bro, karma coming your way!

17. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Not sure why you quoted my post. I don't disagree with your comments however it has nothing to do with anything I said. Maybe this? "however you can drop an anchor on a large boat". You can on a skiff as well, usually grabs faster and requires less scope.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. monster1

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    I agree fully but I made a judgement call as the boat was swamped, not sinking. However I had a very sharp Dexter Russell and an even sharper eye in case that boat decide different.

PacificPredator likes this.
  19. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    Outstanding job and guts. Judging by the condition, those guys will be goner in 30 seconds.

20. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    This gives a hole new meaning to "Fishers of men." Just kidding. Glad you braved it and didn't just leave. Good job and your new username should be Hero1. Lol