A man with a voice gets a second chance in life.

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by Blackfish, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Well I really do hope this guys stays sober, and takes this second chance and does something great with it.

Only in America. Very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUYVGTpjL8

the story
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/homeless+with+radio+voice+gets+offer/4063960/story.html
    Homeless voice sensation offered NBA job, house: Report

BY MARK IYPE, POSTMEDIA NEWS JANUARY 5, 2011 4:37 PM COMMENTS (15)

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Ted Williams, discovered on the streets of Columbus, Ohio, became an Internet sensation this week after a video of his uncanny radio-voice was posted online, reportedly resulting in a job offer and a house from the Cleveland Cavaliers NBA team.
    Photograph by: Screen grab, youtube.com
    A homeless panhandler with a golden voice was looking for a break — and it appears he has received a big one.

Ted Williams, discovered on the streets of Columbus, Ohio, became an Internet sensation this week after a video of his uncanny radio-voice was posted online, reportedly resulting in a job offer and a house from the Cleveland Cavaliers NBA team.

"The Cleveland Cavaliers just offered me a full-time job and a house! A house! A house!" said a stunned Williams on radio station WNCI.

A caller to the show who said she represented the Cavs, offered Williams a full-time job doing voice-over work for the team and a free home in Cleveland, the New York Post reported.

Stationed on a highway exit ramp carrying a hand-scrawled cardboard sign touting his "God-given gift of voice," a dishevelled-looking Williams with stringy hair and a camouflage coat was recorded last month offering up his sweet sounding baritone to passing commuters for spare change.

"When you're listening to nothing but the best of oldies, you're listening to Magic 98.9," he says into the camera.

The 97-second clip — posted Monday by the Columbus Dispatch newspaper — was filmed on a whim by the Dispatch's videographer Doral Chenoweth III.

Within hours, Facebook posts and Twitter exclamations turned Williams into an international sensation.

"We run into these guys at the exit ramps and we pretty much ignore them," said Chenoweth, in a Dispatch story. "This guy was using his talent."

Williams, a native of Brooklyn, New York, became infatuated with radio at age 14 during a field trip that included a talk with a station announcer who looked nothing like his voice would suggest, he says on the video.

"He said to me: 'Radio is defined (as) theatre of (the) mind,'" Williams says. "I can't be an actor; I can't be an on-air (television) personality.

"The voice became something of a development."

Williams says he attended broadcasting school but doesn't elaborate on the video. He once worked filling in on overnight shifts in Columbus at WVKO (1580 AM), a former soul-music station now offering Catholic programming.

Problems with drugs, alcohol and "a few other things" derailed his ambitions long ago, he says, but he recently marked two years of sobriety.

"I'm trying hard to get it back," Williams says.

If the reports are accurate, he just may have.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/Homele...house+Report/4063960/story.html#ixzz1ACzmQGeC

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    I was born with a Radio Voice but never went near the business after seeing what creeps the media types were in college.

Over the decades my view hasn't changed-radio being 'theatre of the mind' attracts some of the oddest most twisted types imaginable-so I can see how this guy ended up on the bottom-he was never far from it the whole time.

3. BillyFun

BillyFun Newbie

Name:
    Bill Dunn
    Boat:
    N/A
    I don't mind giving someone a second chance, but this guy has had many, many chances. Drugs, alcohol, multiple children he hasn't supported, numerous jobs or opportunities lost . . . all choices he made. Now he gets offered several great jobs and a home. Good for him, but I'd rather see a good, responsible person, someone who is in a situation that was not their fault get a break. Just my thoughts. I don't want to start arguements with anyone out there.

4. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    Yeah, it's a heartwarming media-driven story. A homeless ex-junkie get's a new beginning, while at the same time they choose to crucify that Admiral on the Enterprize for his humorous videos only intended to entertain his crew. And because their were some reference to made to gays, the media got their wish and the guy's career is apparently over.

All the while, this homeless anouncer is likely to revert to his former life on the street in the future... who knows.

Just goes to show media agenda and bias is driving politics...again...:finger:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. Blackfish

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    I had the same cynical opinions also...

and all the above points are valid....and i agree with most, in fact, just about all of them....and I don't feel like debating the ones that I disagree with, as it was not the reason for the post.

Sometimes you just have see the good in things, and hope that the bad don't come back and bite you...I'm tired of being angry all the time about how fucked up this world is....is turning me bitter.....

6. Blackfish

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
  7. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    This is not his 2nd chance.
    He's probably had dozens of 2nd chances.
    Let's just hope he doesn't fuck it up.
    There's a lot of pressure on the dude with his demons, sobriety, then suddenly becoming a celebrity and having contracts with 5 & 6 figures of $$$ being thrown his way.
    Hope he makes it work this time.

8. rstephens91350

rstephens91350 Newbie

Name:
    roger
    Boat:
    18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
    How many jobs will be given to this guy when so many hard working professional radio and voice-over actors contiue to grasp at even a chance to get what Mr Williams is getting?

9. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    He's got a talent/skill that big(ger) business feels they can make more money off of, than the cost of his compensation. That's how business and employment works. Nobody is "giving" him anything more than any other employee. I wish him well.
    Maybe he'll be good for some back child support now for you haters that want to read into it.;)

10. nunyabizness1

nunyabizness1 BD Den Momma

Name:
    Nunya
    Boat:
    S. S. Minnow
    They say he has been sober for the past 2 years, I don't know if that's true or not. I saw him being interviewed this morning with his mom there. She remained skeptical that he could stay sober but hoped he could. He has someone there who is helping him manage this process. Who knows? What is positive is that he has an opportunity to change his life around. He realizes he has messed up and is coming forward honestly about that. Not everyone will recover and remain sober but why knock someone down because they have an opportunity to better themself? We have some of our own BDers here (not to mention any in particular) that have turned their life around and made a huge difference in one way or another. What would this community miss out on if they didn't get the opportunity to turn their life around?

This Ted guy "seems" sincere. I wish him well and I hope that he takes the opportunity he's been given and pays it forward. If he doesn't, then that's a crying shame. But I can't knock the guy down for being given this opportunity. He didn't ask for the things he's been given, the media created this so why should he turn it down?

11. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    I lost interest when one story said he was the father of 9 kids...but a dad to none.

12. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I could name 100 names of people that deserve a break in life...And all these folks have good people in life, but life has handed them a shit sandwhich or twelve. These people (like many on this board) have just simply manned the fuck up and eat that sandwhich.

Everyone has a story. Everyone goes through the good and bad times.

Is this guy is not special, in my book.

13. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
  14. nunyabizness1

Name:
    Nunya
    Boat:
    S. S. Minnow
  15. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Fuck him...

16. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    They should of gave the money to his kids............

17. nunyabizness1

Name:
    Nunya
    Boat:
    S. S. Minnow
    You are right Frank. I didn't know he had 9 children and abandoned them. I can't imagine anyone ever doing that. I grew up in a family as one of 17 children. We were never abandoned, my dad worked 7 days a week to be able to feed us. As a mother of 2, I am incredibly thankful for my children and would fight til the end for them. I don't understand how someone could walk away, but the children are the ones who need the help.

18. M/V Santa Rosa

M/V Santa Rosa Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    20 foot bayrunner
    You can not take a JUNKIE/ADDICT/DRUNK and toss them into the spotlight without working on the addiction first and foremost. There is NO WAY we can come out ahead, if we do not work on our own problem first.
    In order to become clean and sober, we must work on a good solid foundation to build from, surround ourselves with good positive people, and yes here it comes FIND A HIGHIER POWER in which you really believe in. Otherwise you are going to blow it, because thats what we do. We mess things up big time, then crawl right back into our bottle, pipe, needle or whatever. We (yes, i,m counting myself on this) screw it up all the time, and those that say I told you so, are just waiting for it to happen.

The problem with this man was , he was taken advantage of for money and someone elses gain. Those that hired him, did not give a rats ass about this mans addiction, they saw money, so did the family, fame and money is the downfall of addicts,/drunks and junkies.

Dr. Phil, you sir are a rats ass also, you knew that this man was gonna blow it, however you signed him up to boost ratings on your show, a PHD you have, in what,, fucking BOZO-ISM thats what.

19. Captain Curt

Captain Curt Cooter

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
    X2

Curtis............

The boat Hanna..............

20. daddysgirl

daddysgirl Sea-Angel

Name:
    bit-anne
    Boat:
    bannana boat
    more than likely the stress of the money and people coming at him from all directions will send him running back to the streets, if people don't give him some space...i think he should be left alone, to show what he is really made of...imo.