A Lucky Unlucky Day!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by surftout, Jun 18, 2013.

1. surftout

surftout Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Trophy
    My son Travis could not come fishing for Ahi fever due to hockey playoffs so I took the day off work Monday to take him fishing. We launched out of Waianae at 0600 and turned left and out. We found a large bird pile on the 500 and got no bites. The wind was howling and we decided to head back towards Sierra. We found another large bird pile a few miles outside Sierra and the water was much nicer. We chased the pile for about 3 miles outside, Travis saw a few Ahi sized splashes when finally the center rigger slammed down, we looked back and he says "Dad where's the rod ?". Disbelief!!! 2 seconds later the outrigger goes, it is smoking line and just stops yet there is still tension on the line. What the heck? I am so bummed we lost a gold reel and rod and Travis is more bummed he lost his lucky Leprechaun lure. We begin cranking the line in and up comes his lucky Leprechaun lure! snagged on the outrigger lure. I am in shock!! I slowly handline my line and after a couple hundred yards I bring my rod and reel up from the depths!!!!! Stoked!!!!! I decide that is too much drama for the day and we head in. We hit the ledge at Makaha and within 10 minutes get a nice ono. The rod and reel that went overboard was the only one that was not tethered, I thank my lucky stars I got it back and will never put a line in the water that is not secured again. Aloha, Steve and Travis

Attached Files:

2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Steve and Travis,

Travis sure looks like he has matured over the last year or so!!!
    WOW how lucky is that, what are the chances of having that happen... I think I would have called family/friends on the mainland to buy me a power ball ticket. Not sure what to say other than, how did that happen? Good lookin' Ono for sure.

Steve, I'd take the reel apart and make sure it is dry inside.

Cheers
    Pat

3. hawaiian hammer

hawaiian hammer Googan

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' Thunderbird
    Steve and Travis,
    That's a pretty funny story. Whats the odds of getting your gold reel and pole back? Nice ono and some good grinds.
    Better then Sat and Sun ahi fever, I didn't even get one bite.
    Good going.

4. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Turned out to be a good day! Congrats on your ono and being able to get your rod/reel back, not much people get that lucky to get a second chance! This is a fish story to tell you g-kids, LOL...
    Tight lines!

5. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Like Pat said, Travis sure looks grown up, not like when I first met you guys at Keehi. That leprechaun lure sure is lucky. I think that catch was worth way more than any fish. Was it the same lure that hooked the ono? I've been told that my safety lines are a little overkill, but I've seen them snap when the old wooden butt broke on a strike.

6. secure303

secure303 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    The Hobie
    That's a crazy story, glad it turned out well.

7. Slow Poke

Slow Poke SeaKhunt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21' Kencraft
    Thats awesome! So was it a big strike that ripped it out and then came off? Imagine if you reeled up your rod and reel and the fish was still attached to it! That would definitely be the time to buy a powerball ticket. Great story for sure and good lesson learned.

8. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Possibly the catch of a lifetime, well at least the most unlikely catch anyways. Glad you got em back, now can catch the yellow guys next trip out. And a bonus ono, nice!

9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Steve,
    You must have been born under a lucky star! What are the chances of that happening.....I would definitely tie down all the rod and reels on your next trip out. Good going on the Ono! Go get em on your next trip out!